T3 Driveshaft in XM

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I had found a good method and ordered a T3 shaft and drivers to put a 3" in my standard XM but now I'm concerned if it will fit. Anyone have any idea or tried it yet?

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shafts were different? Thought only difference was the longer chain case and 7tooth drivers

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7tooth drivers you will be fine that's how guys have been getting away with it for the last few years without a drop and roll chain case. Might have to flatten some rivets but everything should work out for ya

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the shaft and drivers worth?
I have a shaft with 7 tooth avids if your interested?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I had found a good method and ordered a T3 shaft and drivers to put a 3" in my standard XM but now I'm concerned if it will fit. Anyone have any idea or tried it yet?
U don't need a 3 inch cheater

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I don't get. Why go though putting in a longer chaincase if you aren't going to put 8 tooth drivers in.

Sent from w

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I don't get. Why go though putting in a longer chaincase if you aren't going to put 8 tooth drivers in.

Sent from w
My guess is they couldn't gear it low enough to make their current clutching/belt last. I believe 8's will fit on the T3, just havnt tried it yet.
If the Doo 7tooth are any bigger diameter than the Avids, they won't work for putting a 3" on non T3. Anyone measure them yet?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think 8 tooth drivers with less clearance would make the sled more eficient than 7 tooth. IMO. People don't realize there is space between the lugs.
Better snow evacuation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess is they couldn't gear it low enough to make their current clutching/belt last. I believe 8's will fit on the T3, just havnt tried it yet.
If the Doo 7tooth are any bigger diameter than the Avids, they won't work for putting a 3" on non T3. Anyone measure them yet?
Do you know the diameter of the Avid 7t?

Arma-Coat Finishes

Reaction score

Sent from w

According to ski-doo it was a weight saving decision. Yes an 8 tooth fits fine and it should have been there to begin with. So if you have a 2014 sled with a 3" might as well keep it as it really has no difference then a 15 the way it is set up.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to ski-doo it was a weight saving decision. Yes an 8 tooth fits fine and it should have been there to begin with. So if you have a 2014 sled with a 3" might as well keep it as it really has no difference then a 15 the way it is set up.

Except it has a 20mm drop which is more than the difference in driver diameter. Also has way more room to evacuate snow and more efficient drivers

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a huge part of why I want to do it this way.

Agreed, I think the extra clearence for snow e-vac is irrelevant really. Pretty sure the big thing is the smaller driver diameter to maintain track approach angle. The gearing comment would also only be valid for the 174 version, but really with a 19/51 and 7% reduction in driver size(7th to 8th), your effective gear ration would be 2.87.

edit... I am more interested in seeing how there new brake rotor works out. I know I drilled mine to Swiss cheese and it don't stop near as fast.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO
19 tooth top gear is way to small and puts a huge strain on the chain with a 174x 3
I wrecked two chains with 20 tooth and went belt drive that ended the problem .
If you can't clutch a 2.52 ratio and 7 tooth drivers I think there is a problem?
2.87 is just stupid .
Again only IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom