Switchback Assault or RMK Assault

summit1000

Reaction score
So, I'm looking at getting a new sled. Currently I have a 1000 Mountain Cat, and am tired of having to throw around all the weight. I found a decent deal on a 2012 600 Pro RMK 155" with 942 miles on it. For $1500 more, I could get a 2014 600 Switchback Assault with a 144" x 2" track (it is a 2", not the stock 1.352" Cobra track). The Switchback Assault has 700 miles on it. I've only been to the mountains once in my entire life and that was when I was 11 (9 years ago), but I'm planning on making a lot more trips this winter. I still think the majority of riding I do will be around Edmonton area though (fields, rivers, lakes, occasional trail), so I'm thinking for the riding I do, a Switchback Assault makes more sense. However, the Pro RMK is $1500 cheaper. By the way, not sure if it matters, but I'm 5' 8" and 175 lbs. I find the Switchback appealing too because I like 144" tracks more than 155" tracks, but I don't want to be falling behind in the mountains either. The friend I'd be riding with has an 800 Pro RMK. Here is a link to both of the ads. Hopefully it works. I like 800's as well, but from the reviews it seems people actually find the 600's more fun, and more reliable.

2014 polaris assault 144 x 2.0 rmk track | snowmobiles | Red Deer | Kijiji

Pro RMK 600 w/ 155 track | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my OPINION (and it's only an opinion)... If it were me, I would go with the assault. For local riding, the cooling system on the PRO RMK is substandard - they need good snow to stay cool, and you will have accelerated hyfax/track wear as well. If it was mainly to be used as a mountain sled, the PRO RMK is the ticket. We own a 2013 Pro RMK 600, and it does not get ridden locally due to lack of cooling, and the fact that mountain sleds are more "fragile" if you are ditch riding. I never read either ad, but for your particular situation - the assault is the best choice. I'm certain there will be 200 replies stating you can ride a mountain sled on the flatlands (which you can, but it's not in it's element), but a crossover sled like the assault is a very good "all around" sled. No, you won't dominate the mountains with a coupled 144 skid, but you will learn how to ride effectively...

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you have your heart set on a Polaris but you can get a Ski doo Summit Sport with a 600 motor and 146 track brand new with warranty for about $9300 including tax. Comes with the T-motion, flex edge track and 36 inch front end. Pretty much the same handling package as the XMs. Best deal on the market IMO.

summit1000

Reaction score
Not sure if you have your heart set on a Polaris but you can get a Ski doo Summit Sport with a 600 motor and 146 track brand new with warranty for about $9300 including tax. Comes with the T-motion, flex edge track and 36 inch front end. Pretty much the same handling package as the XMs. Best deal on the market IMO.

I like the Summit Sport, but I don't like that it is still the 600 carb. I'm also opposed to buying brand new because of the depreciation in the first couple years. I'd rather let someone else eat the depreciation and buy used. Found a 2012 Summit Sport 600 for $6800, not sure if it has 1250 miles or km's though. Ad says km's, but you can never be sure without an odometer picture. Looking to Upgrade, dont miss out | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

However, I think the RMK for $7,000 would still be a better deal.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

summit1000

Reaction score
Same chassis as switchback assault but no bracing, has non-rebuildable ryde fx shocks, narrow stance, 2.0 track.

So out of the three, which do you guys think is probably the best deal?

2014 600 Switchback Assault 144" x 2" 700 miles $9700 2014 polaris assault 144 x 2.0 rmk track | snowmobiles | Red Deer | Kijiji

2012 600 Pro RMK 155" 942 miles $8200 Pro RMK 600 w/ 155 track | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

2012 600 RMK 144" 451 miles $7300 2012 RMK 600 | snowmobiles | Strathcona County | Kijiji

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it were me... based on your primary riding I would do the Switchback Assault. If you plan to do more mountain riding then flatlanding, the std RMK 144 would be next pick. If you plan on abandoning flatland riding - go with the Pro RMK. They are really quite different to ride - obviously the best mtn sled is the Pro, the worst is the SB Assault. Price is a bit high on all considering we're almost into May...

summit1000

Reaction score
If it were me... based on your primary riding I would do the Switchback Assault. If you plan to do more mountain riding then flatlanding, the std RMK 144 would be next pick. If you plan on abandoning flatland riding - go with the Pro RMK. They are really quite different to ride - obviously the best mtn sled is the Pro, the worst is the SB Assault. Price is a bit high on all considering we're almost into May...

I'd agree with that. I'm hoping negotiation should be much easier now that it is almost May.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't buy it this time of the year lol! It will be the longest summer ever with it sitting in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summit1000

Reaction score
Don't buy it this time of the year lol! It will be the longest summer ever with it sitting in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. It'll be painful to look at it sitting in the garage all summer long, but I'm guessing that I can probably get the best deal this time of year, and I'm sure when I get on it for the first time it will be worth the wait :)

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Fully agree on this for the masses but i ride a 163 pro in sask. Really no draw backs, scratchers keep me cool and when i do go west i have a blast and keep up with my more experienced friends that all have 163 pros and xms and love the trees.

summit1000

Reaction score
Well, as much as I'm really liking the Switchback Assault and for my type of riding it is without a doubt the best sled, this 800 Pro RMK 155" I found for $9700 with 250 miles on it is one hell of a deal in my opinion. Now, only if my summer car would sell so that I could go start seriously looking.

2014 Pro RMK 800 | snowmobiles | Calgary | Kijiji

Top Bottom