Swamped my grizz and now it wont rev up. Help!

tbosch

Reaction score
So I took my 660 for a swim yesterday and now it will only idle. Choked or not it will only rev to less than quarter throttle then bog and die. I have drained the oil, emptied the air box, pulled the plug, emptied the fuel and refilled with fresh fuel, emptied the exhaust by tipping it on end. Still it will only idle. Has anyone had this happen before? I'm not sure what i'm missing here. Oh its an 02 660 grizzly. Thanks in advance for any tips on this.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like wild 1 says clean the float bowl, dry the gas tank, drain the belt housing, check the diff housing oil, front and rear end. make sure the exhaust is drained completely. check electrical, next time refrain from swamping quad.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happened to my brute. Run sea-foam through it. Mine only idled but then after about 10 minutes it was back to normal

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As simple as this sounnds, Grizzly's are bad for plugging the vent tube on the gas cap and not allowing any air in there.
Don
See u on the trails

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As simple as this sounnds, Grizzly's are bad for plugging the vent tube on the gas cap and not allowing any air in there.
Don
See u on the trails
X2
We went through some deep water and my buds 660 just started acting weird checked everything spark, CVT finally we checked the tank and would you know it, air wouldn't go though it until we blew out the cap.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple check for that would be to crack open the cap and see if there is a vacuum.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What twigged us was the fact there was no gas going to the carb. yeah once we opened the tank cap gas started flowing. I guess a slug of water go into the air tube of the gas cap.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in the gas cap there is a bearing in the grizzly 660s it will also plug when doing water wheelies aswell you can blow on the hose to un plug it.

i took the bearing out myself as it fked up on me twice its to stop leaking if the bike is upside down or on side.

----

x2 on the float bowl having water in it sometimes the vent lines hold water aswell.

and the drain hose can also get water in it also.

when i was running stock carb i plugged the drain line with a golf-T when i was riding it and re routed the air vents up to the handle bars.
I used to have this same problem alot before that.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
change the spark plug water may have got inside it , post us let us know how you made out

zeke115

Reaction score
drain all the gas and let it idel for a few mintues try that

zeke115

Reaction score
drain all the gas and let it idel for a few mintues try that<br>

silverstarind2010

Reaction score
Check main jet in carb , i had a little chink of ch!t plug up main jet in my old grizz 660, would idle great but any rpms and it would sputter and die...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just worked on a 300 kawi quad and the tank had water in it..it was doing the same thing... would idle but any thing past it would die .. the gas tank level was letting water in..... had to drain the tank and clean the carb out...

also the needle was sized into the seat....

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swamped the Grizz again out at Long Island and had to drag the POS back to the truck. Could not get the SOB to do anything more than an idle. Took the carb apart found the jammed needle and water in the bowl. There is a vent tube on the side that you cannot see if you don't take the tank off, we think this is where the water gets in. There is a rubber plug on the other side of the carb dont lose that either. The little brass keeper for the the throttle cable is a royal pain in the butt to put back, makes me glad for fuel injection in the Can Am. Put it all back and she runs like a top. Was it the water ir the needle? who knows.:confused:

Top Bottom