Stripped Motor Mount Bolts

CTWilly

Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with allen key heads stripping on the motor mounts. No way to get at this one. It's the one underneath where the recoil bolts on. Any suggestions?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you remove the recoil and then get at it with a sawzall or die grinder or something. cut the head off and then drill and remove it when the engine is out.
of course this is all if you cant get at it with vise grip or somethin.

CTWilly

Reaction score
can you remove the recoil and then get at it with a sawzall or die grinder or something. cut the head off and then drill and remove it when the engine is out.
of course this is all if you cant get at it with vise grip or somethin.

Recoil is off. Cant get at it with anything. Only room to work is through a 1" hole thats about 6-8" deep and straight on.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drill the head off with a bigger bit than the head? if possible

CTWilly

Reaction score
drill the head off with a bigger bit than the head? if possible

Thanks. I think that"ll be my only option right now. Probably a $20 bolt to replace from the dealership. Might just change all the rest out to a conventional stainless steel bolt.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
If it's not going well I would take it to the dealer rather than risk further damage. Just my two cents.

Good luck with it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I think that"ll be my only option right now. Probably a $20 bolt to replace from the dealership. Might just change all the rest out to a conventional stainless steel bolt.

would be easy to do. only issue with stainless though is once they corrode a bit ,and they will, they usually bust off when trying to take out again and they are a beach to drill out. if its a hidden bolt i would just go with a standard bolt 10.9 grade.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take a torqes bit that fits tight like pound in tight should work i have done this before a few times its worth a try

CTWilly

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Fianally got it out. Had to use an easy out and alot of time outs and a case of Corona so I did'nt take a 5lb sledge to the rest of the machine

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad ya got it ...fyi left hand drill bits are a god send, sometimes. Everyone should have a set imo. :beer:

Top Bottom