Starter issues

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 06 CRF 450 X with a baha kit on it. I started having the starter not being able to crank the motor over, as if a bad battery. I replaced the battery and it still works intermintently. I have tested the new battery, the charging system, checked the solinoid, the conections and when i check the voltage at the starter when i crank the engine over it reads about 4 volts (that is when it is not turning over properly). I checked the timing, decompression system, valve lash, all that was good. To pull the starter out of the bike you have to pull the cylinder off. I would rather not have to do that. Any ideas what could be wrong?

S

stripe

I would start by checking the voltage at both sides of the solenoid could have a bad cable also do the same with the gound cable

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The voltage on both sides of the solonoid was 13+ volts. My Buddies crf was there as well so I tried my solonoid in his and it worked fine. I did not try his in mine though. I even by-passed the solonoid and got poor voltage. I wonder if it could be the circuit from the motor to to the battery, the ground cable. I have not thoroughly inspected the ground cable. I'll check that next

Top Bottom