start of the new build

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have nothing against Fred -he is an enthusiast. I own 6 sleds of which 3 are turbos and have done almost everything Fred has but sooner. Didn't feel all the gushing over his build was warrranted and finally had to add my opinion.

6 sleds! dayum! Why?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have nothing against Fred -he is an enthusiast. I own 6 sleds of which 3 are turbos and have done almost everything Fred has but sooner. Didn't feel all the gushing over his build was warrranted and finally had to add my opinion.

You sound really hard core and awesome.

Note to Fred...........try getting at least 4 more sleds (3 of which are super badass turbos) and then come talk to us.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what happens when you go riding for a few days...

weight came in lighter than my target, i have driven all the other two stroke turbo builders out there and the aero 66 is by far the clear winner in hp and tq and quick spool, and now after being ported is is even better... why would you put down a skid you have never even seen or tried... it worked great just like the one i rode in the spring, skis planted to snow... 9 tooth drivers working fine, with no air compression problems, and c3 belt held up fine.... dont know who you are but your somewhat wrong on all your points here

as for detonation, those pistons had two years on them and were being replaced under the brp recall, your thoughts on detonation is not the thoughts of others

as for owing 6 sleds, three turboed, and from alberta, i would think we crossed paths , so who are you, and for doing this first and all the same stuff, your starting to sound like a jelious kid, it might be best if you stay off this thread and make your own

and lastly the sled came in at 203kgs with 12 liters of fuel and coolant with a dry weight of just above 420lbs for a turbo 174" etec all paid by myself

be out with it next week in fernie

Well sickest should also mean fastest. This one won't be that and I expect Fred realizes it. He missed his target weight by >50 lbs, has a tank that holds 81.5 lbs of fuel, 800 or BB later etec with 66 turbo [how much can that make], has a rear suspension that will either ride like a board or be a wheelie pig , 9 tooth drivers will cause some air compression in the tunnel taking off track speed plus seriously load the C3 belt. All things that don't justify that description. With that, I expect he will enjoy it when all issues are resolved.

lol - you his son?
Tuned by Fred too- you didn't notice his broken piston caused by detonation?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id like to see these sleds you personally built. You have a carbon turbo etec with a oil injection delete? If you do why not offer advice instead of bashing his build?

backchannel

Reaction score
what happens when you go riding for a few days...

weight came in lighter than my target, i have driven all the other two stroke turbo builders out there and the aero 66 is by far the clear winner in hp and tq and quick spool, and now after being ported is is even better... why would you put down a skid you have never even seen or tried... it worked great just like the one i rode in the spring, skis planted to snow... 9 tooth drivers working fine, with no air compression problems, and c3 belt held up fine.... dont know who you are but your somewhat wrong on all your points here

as for detonation, those pistons had two years on them and were being replaced under the brp recall, your thoughts on detonation is not the thoughts of others

as for owing 6 sleds, three turboed, and from alberta, i would think we crossed paths , so who are you, and for doing this first and all the same stuff, your starting to sound like a jelious kid, it might be best if you stay off this thread and make your own

and lastly the sled came in at 203kgs with 12 liters of fuel and coolant with a dry weight of just above 420lbs for a turbo 174" etec all paid by myself

lol - you his son?
Tuned by Fred too- you didn't notice his broken piston caused by detonation?

Ha - not jealous at all. Glad you are happy. As far as the pistons, if you don't recognize detonation there I don't know what to tell you.

bigcobb

Reaction score
This is turning out to be an interesting thread. Haters gonna hate :rant: Fred you have build a "sick" sled and please don't stop the updates because of one guys opinion on what is "sick" and some more pictures of your sled would be appreciated. I have always wanted to build a carbon xp but for the time being I will live vicariously through u. :d

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I thought your target was to be lighter then a PRO? Not sure how you figure 420lbs dry is lighter then a PRO?

You should bring her up to Revy for a couple days over the holidays so I can go up against it. I'm sure their is a couple more guys on here that would love to go up against it as well :)

Did you end up putting the oil injection back on, or are you going to try again?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what weight is your turbo pro? ....we had a 2013 stock pro at 518lbs on our scales, turbos are generally 20lbs more and a/w coolers can be another 20

not sure on date to revy, snow is very good alot closer, be there sometime in january

I thought your target was to be lighter then a PRO? Not sure how you figure 420lbs dry is lighter then a PRO?

You should bring her up to Revy for a couple days over the holidays so I can go up against it. I'm sure their is a couple more guys on here that would love to go up against it as well :)

Did you end up putting the oil injection back on, or are you going to try again?

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what weight is your turbo pro? ....we had a 2013 stock pro at 518lbs on our scales, turbos are generally 20lbs more and a/w coolers can be another 20

not sure on date to revy, snow is very good alot closer, be there sometime in january

518lbs bone stock ready to ride I do believe wasn't it?

I have not weighed it since it was built but I wasnt after building the lightest sled possible the pro is light enough as it is but I removed a good 20lbs before I installed everything. I concentrated on performance gains and strength. You are probibly right in the ballpark of 20lbs for the turbo but your out in left field on the water to air system. I could honestly care a less about a dry weight sled as ready to ride is the only real weight that counts. Next time you head to Revy get a hold of me and I will meet you at the scales in golden and we can see what the weights are. My guess is I will be around 530lbs ready to ride full to the tits on everything.

What's your full to the tits weight ready to ride??

Did you end up putting the oil injection back on?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
518lbs bone stock ready to ride I do believe wasn't it?

I have not weighed it since it was built but I wasnt after building the lightest sled possible the pro is light enough as it is but I removed a good 20lbs before I installed everything. I concentrated on performance gains and strength. You are probibly right in the ballpark of 20lbs for the turbo but your out in left field on the water to air system. I could honestly care a less about a dry weight sled as ready to ride is the only real weight that counts. Next time you head to Revy get a hold of me and I will meet you at the scales in golden and we can see what the weights are. My guess is I will be around 530lbs ready to ride full to the tits on everything.

What's your full to the tits weight ready to ride??

Did you end up putting the oil injection back on?

Might be a bad choice for a place to weigh sleds. Lol. All Albertan snowmobilers should drive by that scale and try not make any eye contact with those pinheads that run the scale. I'm sure they would find something wrong with your rigs.

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like how sensitive people get when someone builds a sled better than their 20g sled. Give it a rest, I don't get the drift that fred was posting his build as a cock off, it was because he was proud of it. I sure would be. If I had the same sled and someone challenged me, I know I wouldn't be making the drive to revy to just prove to you its better or worse, let alone cross the street. Grow up. We arent in Jr. High anymore.

Happy Sledding Fred. Hope the hiccups run clear and I hope to have a sled like yours one day.
Cheers

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be a bad choice for a place to weigh sleds. Lol. All Albertan snowmobilers should drive by that scale and try not make any eye contact with those pinheads that run the scale. I'm sure they would find something wrong with your rigs.

Self weigh scales FTW ;)

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive gasoline has a density of about 737.22 kilograms per cubic meter at 60 degrees F. Doing conversions yields 6.152 lbs per US gallon.

c3 chassie comes with two tanks... front tank holds 20liters and rear tank holds 33liters, if sled was totally full of fuel it should hold about 14us gallons or 86lbs of gasoline, then another 14 lbs of coolant

for last year i had never used more than 36liters of fuel on the longest days with the etecturbo, and keven said most guys just keep the one tank full and dont worry about the other

stock oil injection will stay off the sled

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Automotive gasoline has a density of about 737.22 kilograms per cubic meter at 60 degrees F. Doing conversions yields 6.152 lbs per US gallon.

c3 chassie comes with two tanks... front tank holds 20liters and rear tank holds 33liters, if sled was totally full of fuel it should hold about 14us gallons or 86lbs of gasoline, then another 14 lbs of coolant

for last year i had never used more than 36liters of fuel on the longest days with the etecturbo, and keven said most guys just keep the one tank full and dont worry about the other

stock oil injection will stay off the sled

Cool thanks for the conversion so your wet weight should be around the 520 mark +\- Merry Xmas hope you have better luck this time out. When you get it dialed in do you want to point them up some chutes for pink slips? LOL

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the sled came in at 203kgs with 12 liters of fuel and coolant with a dry weight of just above 420lbs for a turbo 174" etec all paid by myself

Cool thanks for the conversion so your wet weight should be around the 520 mark +\- Merry Xmas hope you have better luck this time out. When you get it dialed in do you want to point them up some chutes for pink slips? LOL

On my calculator that's 203 kg plus 38L @ .711 kg/ liter totals 230 kg or 506 lbs +/- which is roughly 30- 40lbs (depending on the disputed weight of the water to air intercooler) lighter that your sled with a stock skid and a shorter, narrower track. Seems to me Fred would be well advised to take you up on your race for Pinks any day of the week. Just sayin'

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The only pro lighter than that is a 155" so its not a fair comparison, put a 174x3 on a pro and itll come in heavier than freds build

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The performance of a sled has alot more to do with tuning than it does about the weight. Lighter is great as long as everthing else works with it.
One thing to remember also is that the carbon doesn't tend to have the snow sticking and building up as does aluminium.
Performance is all per cubic dollar$$$$$ ........ with alot of tuning ability by owner or the someone that builds and rides them.
Merry Xmas all.

Top Bottom