Starlink

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting Starlink for home and for the office. Our home internet is with Telus, its "meh", works for the most part but occasionally it drops out or slows down to what seems to be dial up speeds. Our office is with explorenet, don't need to say much else if you've ever had their internet. Looks like lots of availability for Sherwood Park and Nisku at the moment. I talked to our IT guy the other day and he's had multiple customers in Nisku jump over to Starlink with great results.

Question for the guys that have it/techies: I have security cameras (Arlo brand) at home that run on a 2.4G network. Don't ask me why Arlo is so adamant on it but its how it is... Will Starlink jive with this or am I SOL? I spent about $700 on the camera setup so I don't exactly want to find out the hard way that its now useless.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Looking at getting Starlink for home and for the office. Our home internet is with Telus, its "meh", works for the most part but occasionally it drops out or slows down to what seems to be dial up speeds. Our office is with explorenet, don't need to say much else if you've ever had their internet. Looks like lots of availability for Sherwood Park and Nisku at the moment. I talked to our IT guy the other day and he's had multiple customers in Nisku jump over to Starlink with great results.

Question for the guys that have it/techies: I have security cameras (Arlo brand) at home that run on a 2.4G network. Don't ask me why Arlo is so adamant on it but its how it is... Will Starlink jive with this or am I SOL? I spent about $700 on the camera setup so I don't exactly want to find out the hard way that its now useless.
the starlink router, I believe works with 2.4 GHZ devices as well as more modern devices.
I haven't seen many routers that are explicitly 5GHZ as of yet

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Or, you can always add an additional router or access point and separate your 2.4Ghz stuff.
it's not that simple with the new starlink setup, you have to purchase additional hardware to be able to connect it to your existing network infrastructure.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's not that simple with the new starlink setup, you have to purchase additional hardware to be able to connect it to your existing network infrastructure.

That's true, but at least it is available now as an option. I remember when the new hardware cam out there were a lot of people screaming WTF!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do they have a mobile option, or does the same dish work at home the same way it would out in Slave Lake or Revelstoke

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're moving around a lot they do have an RV option. If you're just moving from one place to another I think you could request a transfer of your home address.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out at the lake this weekend, sky was perfectly clear and just after dark it was almost impossible to look at a section of sky and not see a satellite moving across. Even got to see a "Starlink Train" of satellites grouped closely together that were launched recently.

I understand the frustration of astronomers with these satellites, they are everywhere and create bright streaks across a long exposure image of the sky.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want one for the rv so the wife can work from it
They told me i was to far north im in Edmonton

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want one for the rv so the wife can work from it
They told me i was to far north im in Edmonton

2fe06a5410928145c9857a825f92feeb.jpg

Looks like it goes a slight bit north of fort mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure a lot of people complaining about the "Fair Use Policy" soft data cap coming in December.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure a lot of people complaining about the "Fair Use Policy" soft data cap coming in December.
Yep, we used a terrabyte of data one month and they sent it to us. Kids downloading games sucks up alot of data.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta wonder how accurate their data tracking is?

Eastlink tells me we use 800gb per month, my router (which all our data passes through) shows 550gb.

Not that it matters to us because we have unlimited data.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to order starlink and it recognizes my address when I type it into the order box but it will not recognize my postal code for the shipping address. My new rural edmonton one or my calgary one.

Anyone have a tip or a contact number because I can't find that either

Top Bottom