Spitting oil from exhaust normal?

blackcat09

Reaction score
OK, so i recently purchased a 2009 M8 with 1220 miles and I noticed today when I quickly started it after installing a riser that there was oil spitting from where the y-pipe and pipe join. I believe I have heard of this happening before but just making sure its not a serious problem. btw the oil was black so its not fresh but it could just be from the carbon in the pipe.

Thanks

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would replace the pipe seal itself. They use a wax style seal that often can get accidentally damaged from pipe removal. Relatively inexpensive part.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your starting it for only short periods of time and fairly often it will get worse every time. But when the snow flys and you take it out for a good rip it will burn away. If you get high temp silicone get the copper stuff it lasts the longest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

blackcat09

Reaction score
ok right on! super happy its nothing major. i might as well replace the donut and silicon it up at the same time. and yes its is short ones just to check for the riser not messing with cables that time and to get a nice dose of 2-stroke smoke!:p Does anyone know why it does that?

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My jaws pipes do the same and don't have a gasket, I'm guessing clean em up and sillicone? I just wanna make sure it's not a power valve

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would replace the pipe seal itself. They use a wax style seal that often can get accidentally damaged from pipe removal. Relatively inexpensive part.
grafoil is the materials name. twins will slobber abit more, takes them longer to get hot. lots of silicone and a handful of extra springs will help keep it in the pipe and out from under your hood

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok right on! super happy its nothing major. i might as well replace the donut and silicon it up at the same time. and yes its is short ones just to check for the riser not messing with cables that time and to get a nice dose of 2-stroke smoke!:p Does anyone know why it does that?

the oil that is injected into your fuel for lubrication burns at a higher temperature than Gasoline. when you run for a short period of time the engine doesn't heat up enough to burn off this oil so it exits the engine out the exhaust port and collects in the pipe. If your doughnut is worn it then leeks out the joint.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its normal don't worry about it. As to why - see Pipes response above ^^^^ . In addition to the oil, if you are cold starting it and not heating it up, it will be over fueling on cold start up and this additional fuel will wash the oil from the valves and exhaust ports down into the pipe, increasing the amount of oil seeping out. Its nothing to worry about, when the snow flies take it for a good rip, it will likely have a little stutter or miss for the first few times when you crack it wide open as there will be some additional fuel/oil in the bottom end from your cold starting and just how cats run, but it should clean itself up.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grafoil is the materials name. twins will slobber abit more, takes them longer to get hot. lots of silicone and a handful of extra springs will help keep it in the pipe and out from under your hood
yes that's the proper name! I'm starting to forget what things are called these days lol.

Top Bottom