speedo stopped working????

SNOWY

Reaction score
06 M7. worked last time I went out (2 days ago) went out this afternoon and noticed speedo needle was not working. all display stuff works. tach and odo work, but speedo needle stuck on 0MPH, lol.

Kept outside overnight.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
weird..maybe try bringing in inside,,or give it a bit of a tap with your hand...bad connection on the back side maybe

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed with bringing it inside. See if you can pull the inner shaft out, if so...it broke. If not, spray some lube down the cable as well as taking it off where the other end connects. Close to the jack shaft, I would guess???

popeye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the M series but on the older sleds when the speedo stopped working you checked the drive shaft bearing on clutch side. But some times the little pin that hooks the drive shaft to the speedo cable just breaks.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 96 when the speedo stopped working the main bearing went right quick. Glad we were only a few km's from the truck. Would definitely be checking bearings.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Common problem with the 05-06 m it is a bad speed sensor easy to change as well

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2006 M7 is an electronic gauge. No cables involved ! I will second the comment on the speedo sensor. My 2005 had the same problem. I replaced the sensor and it was fine. Got a couple free km in the process too! The sensor is just pushed into the outsider if the diamond drive. Easily identified because its the only wires going to the DD. but also chech the connections first.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the odometer still works then you gauge is shot. If the odometer doesnt work either then its probably the speed sensor.

SNOWY

Reaction score
Checked electrical wire that runs to the diamond drive. not broken. Didnt take diamond drive out, just looked at it and nothing in the wiring to the diamond drive appeared to be broken.

Will check the rest of it over tommorrow. Is the speed sensor inside the diamond drive or outside of the diamond drive?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you need a spedometer for what? mine hasn't worked for a while, and i don't miss it.

SNOWY

Reaction score
Well,

this is strange. When gauge is set for the needle to register in MPH is does not move. When gauge is set for the needle to show RPM it moves.:confused: :confused:

Digital odometer works, digital mph works, digital trip meters work.

Also replaced sliders and rear wheel bearings as they were needing to be done anyway. I know that wouldn't have any effect on gauge, just threw this in here.

Total miles 2300.

Might take gauge apart to see if something got disconnected, just too much snow and too little time to ride right now to really feel like tinkering anymore:cool:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like a wire/electrical contact, for my money.

Top Bottom