Snowmobiler Shoots Moose

Driftingbig

Reaction score
Its stuff like this that gives the people out there who care about growing the sport and areas we ride in a bad name. I would think that if this had happened in any of the areas we all ride here the hammer would fall and closures would begin. Hope he gets whats coming to him.

If anyone hears anything on this particular incedent keep us posted.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That video made me sick, what kind of people carry a gun while riding a sled?
Btw, I seen that video about a week ago, sledder said there was his son behind so he was afraid something might happen to him, and he couldn't back up because of that.
My opinion that guy isn't skillfull enough to drive, and too stupid to approach to a moose, looks like he was panick

Last edited:

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My question would be why the heck would a person even think of posting this on YouTube?? What a douche bag! Too bad the moose missed in defending itself from his intrusion into her space.....it cost her.......her life. Sad.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with every post here. I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law!!! Back away and give her her space, she doesn't want to get that close to you either.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with every post here. I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law!!! Back away and give her her space, she doesn't want to get that close to you either.
He couldn't go back, there was a sled behind him. BTW, I looked how he shoot, he has some good shooting skills, perhaps a policeman or former military guy.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So by letting out his warning Yip's and inching closer and closer give him the right away???? Loser. Plain and simple. Some people should not have guns and he is one of them.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He couldn't go back, there was a sled behind him. BTW, I looked how he shoot, he has some good shooting skills, perhaps a policeman or former military guy.
Sleds have had reverse for a long time. He could have stayed where he was when we first saw the moose and just let it keep going on its way. By yelling and and inching closer you are just presenting a challenge. Who cares about his shooting skills. He should never have been in the position to need to pull a weapon.

It's also a young bull by the way, not a cow. Check out the bell on the chin, and you can see the spots on the head where he has recently lost his antlers.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mention his shooting skills, because think he is a policeman. Means nobody is gonna charge him, case gonna be closed.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can anyone even defend this guy? Like really! The more i see this post and vid the more I cant believe it.. the trail he was on had what four inches of fresh beside it? Wasnt there multiple tracks and escape routes for him to choose from? Couldnt he have turned out many times when he saw the moose on the trail? I've encountered moose on the trail many times. They will not deviate from the trail when spooked.. Always take the path of least resistance. I've waited over an hour a couple times for the moose to relax and go there own way. They will stand there ground every time. As a sledder and a hunter im a guest in there home and i show respect, and patience is the only way.. Like who carrys a gun when sledding? So many things wrong with that picture. Obviously when the authorities catch up with this guy im sure something will go down. Hopefully!

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is every on talking about the pistol? Would it have made a difference if he killed it with a pitch fork? Some countries allow concealed carry, deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dnk09

Reaction score
So you have a gun why not fire off some shots. I hunt and any other hunter around with any common sense would shoot in the air. 9 times out of 10 the moose would definatly fawk off from that. Idk IMO the guys a retard and anyone who defends him is as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent some working in the bush between Hinton and Grande Prairie. Had plenty of encounters with bears and moose deciding to play chicken with us on aros, quads, sleds and trucks. Shooting guns does not work in most cases because the noise is loud, but really short. The critters did not seem to 'scare' away like we hoped. Same with Bear Bangers.

What worked really well was a boat horn. Pull that unit out and do a couple long blasts at them and 99% of the time they buggered off. And another tip, if you ever have to use Bear Strength Pepper Spray (which works very well) make sure you are up wind of the spray.

And well... I might as well get this off my chest... I do not condone shooting moose, deer or any other critter just to kill them. But the animal was obviously in distress about something and was very agitated. This was not in a zoo where there are bars or a cage to hide behind. The moose attacked twice and would most likely to attack again judging by the video.
One smack in the head with those hooves and someone's husband, father, brother, uncle would be seriously injured or worse dead. If this video came out and the guy was killed and it was revealed that he had a gun, I would have thought "What a dumass for not using his gun! It could have saved his life."

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this also. I have fired over top of a black bear 30' away to scare off only to have him turn towards me and stand up on his hind legs. As for the moose at revy that charged me, the wife has a couple great pictures of him standing over top of the hood of my sled which he did not touch. We all have a laugh about it everytime those pictures get pulled out but was definitely a arse squeeker at the time lol
I spent some working in the bush between Hinton and Grande Prairie. Had plenty of encounters with bears and moose deciding to play chicken with us on aros, quads, sleds and trucks. Shooting guns does not work in most cases because the noise is loud, but really short. The critters did not seem to 'scare' away like we hoped. Same with Bear Bangers.

What worked really well was a boat horn. Pull that unit out and do a couple long blasts at them and 99% of the time they buggered off. And another tip, if you ever have to use Bear Strength Pepper Spray (which works very well) make sure you are up wind of the spray.

And well... I might as well get this off my chest... I do not condone shooting moose, deer or any other critter just to kill them. But the animal was obviously in distress about something and was very agitated. This was not in a zoo where there are bars or a cage to hide behind. The moose attacked twice and would most likely to attack again judging by the video.
One smack in the head with those hooves and someone's husband, father, brother, uncle would be seriously injured or worse dead. If this video came out and the guy was killed and it was revealed that he had a gun, I would have thought "What a dumass for not using his gun! It could have saved his life."

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can anyone even defend this guy? Like really! The more i see this post and vid the more I cant believe it.. the trail he was on had what four inches of fresh beside it? Wasnt there multiple tracks and escape routes for him to choose from? Couldnt he have turned out many times when he saw the moose on the trail? I've encountered moose on the trail many times. They will not deviate from the trail when spooked.. Always take the path of least resistance. I've waited over an hour a couple times for the moose to relax and go there own way. They will stand there ground every time. As a sledder and a hunter im a guest in there home and i show respect, and patience is the only way.. Like who carrys a gun when sledding? So many things wrong with that picture. Obviously when the authorities catch up with this guy im sure something will go down. Hopefully!

This video makes me sick. I agree with all the posts here.

I have no words...

Top Bottom