Snowmobile Deck with Chev 1500HD

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was told by a friend who worked in the industry, it was a marketing thing because the 2500hd was priced higher they were able to price the 1500hd more competitively, or something along those lines. Putting a 3.5" flowmaster on as well as the air bags for the rear suspension. Cousin put a flowmaster on his z71 and what a difference with the fuel economy. Hoping for the same.

B

bradh

I have an 05 f250 PSD (10,000 lb GVW) with a retractable 8' Marathon deck. Hauling an lightwieghted Poo Escape and on o5 M7 on a diet (525 wet) and the tools, oil and some race gas (25 gallons) two guys and a tank full of diesel we weighed in at 9600 lbs on the scale just outside the Petro Canada at Cochrane on Hwy 1.

Too much for an 8600 lb GVW truck if it were me but that's just MHO.

Brad

whopper809

Reaction score
I have an 05 f250 PSD (10,000 lb GVW) with a retractable 8' Marathon deck. Hauling an lightwieghted Poo Escape and on o5 M7 on a diet (525 wet) and the tools, oil and some race gas (25 gallons) two guys and a tank full of diesel we weighed in at 9600 lbs on the scale just outside the Petro Canada at Cochrane on Hwy 1.

Too much for an 8600 lb GVW truck if it were me but that's just MHO.

Brad

I'm not making fun of this info but if you scale your truck (F250 GVWR is only 9400lbs) empty you'll find that you don't have that much pay load left to add from that point, to get to your max GVWR. I know ford fixed this problem with the F250's a bit but back in 1999 a F250 superduty was only capable of hauling around 800lbs and they where max out. Superdutys are very heavy trucks ecspecialy with diesels and 4x4, I'll bet a 1500HD can almost haul the same payload that a F250 can haul. I found this out when I was buying a truck and found that only a F350 was worth the purchase for me due to the loads I needed it to haul.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at buying a 2003 1500hd and wondering if the 8600 gvw is enough to haul a deck with 2 sleds and sometimes towing a 2 place trailer as well. According to my calculations the deck and 2 sleds are fine, it is the addition of the trailer and extra 2 sleds and personel that may put it over.

Any info would be great.

Not even close. Get a 3/4ton or more. A 1/2 ton has about 1500lbs capacity, an aluminum deck and two sleds, plus gear and two people puts you up around 2300lbs+ or so; never mind the trailer. A 3/4 gets you to 2500lbs capacity safely. I don't want to sound too harsh here but think about this stuff: It's more than just the weight capacity, how you gunna stop all that with those smaller brakes? Plus axles not as big, bearings not as big, steering components not as big, suspension not as big, tires not as big, never mind the extra wear and tear on it, do you think the engineer's designed it to handle a significant road hazard as well as a 3/4 with all that weight on? Even if it doesn't break, it gets all soft and mushy with all that weight on. Air bags won't fix this. One bad pot hole at night on a rainy road when you are tired, you get a little wobbly and....I don't even want to think about it. It’s not worth it. I sold my 1/2 when I went to a deck for these reasons.

B

bradh

I'm not making fun of this info but if you scale your truck (F250 GVWR is only 9400lbs) empty you'll find that you don't have that much pay load left to add from that point, to get to your max GVWR. I know ford fixed this problem with the F250's a bit but back in 1999 a F250 superduty was only capable of hauling around 800lbs and they where max out. Superdutys are very heavy trucks ecspecialy with diesels and 4x4, I'll bet a 1500HD can almost haul the same payload that a F250 can haul. I found this out when I was buying a truck and found that only a F350 was worth the purchase for me due to the loads I needed it to haul.

Actually if you check your source or if you prefer you can check the GVW sticker on my 2005 F250 you will find that the GVW of my truck is 10000 lbs. It is a heavy truck but still has more payload capacity that the 1500 HD.

Brad

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/05sd_specs.pdf

If you scroll down you can check out the spec

Last edited:

whopper809

Reaction score
I think most people don't understand that a 1500HD is really a 3/4 ton truck just not a heavy duty 3/4 ton, so if you look into it this trucks specs, has all the heavy driveline for hauling just not the bigger spring capacity. The payload of the 1500HD is 3129lbs. I'm not saying you can slam this all in payload alone you have to account for number of occupants and such. All I'm gettin at here is with a payload that high this truck can easly haul a deck with two sled or quads, with all the gear and should not even be maxed out, now like most trucks today that have that nice car like ride when you load them up the rear has sag and the lights are looking for birds. Even a 2500HD or F250 Superduty even the mighty Ram 2500 will have this problem when loaded up. Which is why so many install air bags to get their ride level again.

whopper809

Reaction score
Actually if you check your source or if you prefer you can check the GVW sticker on my 2005 F250 you will find that the GVW of my truck is 10000 lbs. It is a heavy truck but still has more payload capacity that the 1500 HD.

Brad

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/05sd_specs.pdf

If you scroll down you can check out the spec

9400GVWR is the number FORD CANADA shows on their web site. Not sure what that's about. Also yes your correct that your truch has more payload than a 1500HD but what is this number. This is the number that I say isn't that far off from the 3129lbs payload a 1500HD has, which all 1500HD are crew cabs and 4x4 so when you check for this info check for your model specific configuration. We all know that a 3/4 ton regular cab 2 wheel drive gas motor vs a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 with a diesel motor aren't the same comparison.

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a driver with a big a$$ trailer. I would not go down in size on a truck if I am pulling a trailer as well as weight in the truck. you are just asking for problems. many thinkn about pulling power but not many think about stopping power. but then that is just MHO and you can take it for what it is worth.

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see everyones opinions and concerns. The 1500HD is a 3/4ton (not the 2500HD version) it has the frame, suspension, brakes, axles etc... of a 3/4 ton. I have talked to several dealers and they all told me the same thing. 1500HD and a 2500 are the same truck, different badging. Now once you go up to the 2500HD that's a different story (about 300lbs more on the payload).

In response to 2003summit. If you would have seen some of my previous responses I had said it has the suspension, brakes, axles etc... that a 3/4 ton has, just like I said on this post. All of this was confirmed by the dealers. Just like the GVWS of a 1/2ton compared to the 1500HD, the 1/2ton does not have anywhere near the capacity of the1500HD.
8600GVW-5600truck weight = 3000lbs payload

I saw the f250 at 10000 GVW, I also saw how much it weighs. I agree it has a higher payload than a 1500HD, but it also weighs basically 1000lbs more.

As for hauling, I have had 1000L (2200lbs) of water in the box many times and it sits basically level, it stops no problem, it is not wobbly at all, and I have no problem steering with all that weight in the back, and I'm not on the best of roads when I am hauling either.

Anyways, I don't even have a deck and may not use one, it is just an option for spring.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove a 98 GMC 4x4 ext cab short box (work truck) with a sled deck on it for years. Been to Revy and Golden countless times with 2sleds on there and never been hassled. I even went to the RCMP station in Revy once to inquire about the laws. I was told by the officer that unless the truck LOOKED unsafe, they leave you alone. My GM had the larger rear end and overloader springs and therefore LOOKED and handled OK. If you're buying a new truck...go 3/4 ton or larger. If you have a 1/2 ton and want to use it, make sure the tires and suspension are up to the task and don't worry about it. My 2 cents...

Top Bottom