Snowmobile Corridor in Strathcona County

Catgirl

Reaction score
Hi All!

Just thought I'd update you on what's happening with the corridor. I spoke with the lady who is in charge of the study yesterday. As it stands they are waiting for budget approval from Council to do the study. A decision will be made by the beginning of December, 2009.

If the budget request is approved, a Project Manager will be assigned and they will advertise for a Consultant to do the actual study. This process can take 2 months.

Once the Consultant is hired, they will begin the study which will entail talking to landowners along the proposed corridor, and Tri-County Snomobile
Club. They may hold Open Houses, Public Hearings, small meetings, or anything else the consultant comes up with to gather information and opinion on the corridor.

The Consultant will then make recommendations. There will be several drafts done with changes made and it brought back to Council. When the final draft is brought to Council it will likely be a closed session.

Once the final draft is in place it will be tabled at a Public session for Council to vote on plan for the corridor.

This will take a minimum of 6 months (I'm guessing it will be longer). Next year is also an election year so that may also lengthen the time it takes to get a final draft as the new Council will have to be brought up to speed so they can make an educated decision.

So, you may want to start calling your Councillors to get their support to approve the budget for the study. If they don't give approval this year, we will be waiting another year to even get the study started.

Later,

T

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I emailed all councilors and the mayor last week to ask "whats up", Only 3 even bothered to answer my email, One was kind enough to forward it to the mayor for me also. Havent heard BOO from Lawrence though in ward 7..........no real suprise there. really need to get him out of there.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no reply from lawrence? NO WAY!! lol..UGH. how did he get back in there in the first place. i recall 2 years ago voting for another guy who was pro snowmobile. cant beleive he got back in. strathcona country is UNREAL almost a joke. i laugh everytime something comes off their table. anyone know what a consultant costs? hmm roughly 500$ an hour. this will cost millions just to have a couple km of ditch space. i had to vacate to the mountains to ride because i couldnt deal with lawrence and the country and the rcmp. kind of sad. blood pressure is starting to rise.. im out.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. They should rename this county "Dracona County." If you're not an enviro nut or a horse owner/rider, they don't want you here. I will be asking Jacquie Fenske, my councillor to support it, but I'm not hopeful.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the response from the Mayor regarding my e-mail inquiry. Like Catgirl said...........start calling the people you voted for and asking for their support:)

Attachments

• Re_ [Fwd_ Snowmobile Corridor Study].txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 92

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jackie Fenske is one of the better ones. She has worked with the Snow Angels many times. But with a upcoming election year and asking landowners what they think I see STALL forever. Wont get past the landowners. To many NIMBYs out there. Na sayers will be active as soon as any word gets out. Im not negative I just live here and been trying for 30 yrs to improve snowmobiling in the county. I will be there for the effort but if we want to get this it will take a very organized effort starting NOW

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
jackie fenske is one of the better ones. She has worked with the snow angels many times. But with a upcoming election year and asking landowners what they think i see stall forever. Wont get past the landowners. To many nimbys out there. Na sayers will be active as soon as any word gets out. Im not negative i just live here and been trying for 30 yrs to improve snowmobiling in the county. I will be there for the effort but if we want to get this it will take a very organized effort starting now

get'rdone......... I'm with ya glen.....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
get'rdone......... I'm with ya glen.....

just saying your with the person isn't enough, write letters to your councilors, mla's mp's and everyone you can think of..... we are working really really hard on that connector with Alberta Beach out west here and we are dang close to getting somewhere because of the number of letters etc written....

Glen, get me info I'll write a letter too :)

Top Bottom