Snowmobile chat or skidoo section

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bombardier has been receiving gov't aid since 1966, and without this they would have been tits up years ago. These are from the Globe and Mail

If Bombardier is granted yet more taxpayer money, it would be in addition to the almost $1.2-billion granted or lent to the company by the federal government since 1966. There was another $1.2-billion in corporate welfare to another aerospace company, de Havilland, which Bombardier swallowed in 1992, and almost $1.4-billion“invested” last year by provincial taxpayers in Quebec. Add all that up, and you have $3.8-billion (again, that’s in 2015 Canadian dollars) to Bombardier

why Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should close the door on yet another Bombardier cash call? Because the company’s latest request for almost $1-billion (U.S.) – $1.4-billion Canadian – would be its 51st request to the federal government in 50 years.

Last edited:

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bombardier has been receiving gov't aid since 1966, and without this they would have been tits up years ago. These are from the Globe and Mail

If Bombardier is granted yet more taxpayer money, it would be in addition to the almost $1.2-billion granted or lent to the company by the federal government since 1966. There was another $1.2-billion in corporate welfare to another aerospace company, de Havilland, which Bombardier swallowed in 1992, and almost $1.4-billion“invested” last year by provincial taxpayers in Quebec. Add all that up, and you have $3.8-billion (again, that’s in 2015 Canadian dollars) to Bombardier

why Prime Minister Justin Trudeau should close the door on yet another Bombardier cash call? Because the company’s latest request for almost $1-billion (U.S.) – $1.4-billion Canadian – would be its 51st request to the federal government in 50 years.
All aerospace and military contracted companies ARE ALL heavily subsidized by their host country. Bombardier is no different. If one wants to play in Tech and R & D on future products, you have to support them. I only wish we could have companies like them to diversify our own economy in Alberta.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To say that we should not buy Quebec products because "they don't want our pipe line" is ridiculous. Who is "they" the Quebec government? The clowns in the Alberta legislature don't represent my views. In fact I suspect that they don't represent the views of the majority of people that voted for them. So its reasonable to assume BRP is not wild about their Government either. If we were to boycott every jurisdictions that doesn't agree with Us/Alberta. There would be no trade with any one. Obama vetoed Keystone, Japan still continues to whales in spite of the international moratorium on whaling and the Clark government in BC is slowing Northern Gateway to a stand still. These thing REALLY pizz me off, but i still own a GMC truck, a Honda lawn mower and I still go ton Revy even chance I get. Face it BRP produces a awesome product that in my opinion is the best mountain sled. To say that it is due to government subsides or we should not deal with them because of pipeline issues is clearly a case of sour grapes. I am thankful that others support their brands, As its been said a hundred times on this forum with out the competition there would be no innovation or price control.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ownership in BRP;
Bain Capital - 50%
Bombardier family - 35%

I think that was the case in '03 when the rec division was separated from Bombardier. I don't think those are accurate numbers since the IPO in 2013. both Bain and Caisse de depot sold off a bunch of their shares. the dividend from the sales went to Bain and Caisse to the tune of $260+ million, the Beaudier group got none of that. so makes me wonder if they now have controlling interest in BRP or if those shares truly went to the public. if they retained their original shares they would have more than Bain Capital does now.

You're right! Shares have changed a bit.........

approximately
Beaudier Group - - 48%,
Bain Capital - - - - 37%
CDPQ - - - - - - - - - 7%

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SkiDoo makes snowmobiles, right? This is the snowmobile chat section, correct?? So where is the problem:confused:

You do know it is possible to skip over threads you don't want to read? ..lol

Why even have the sub forms then! Just delete them all. Everything in one place.... Will be great!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right! Shares have changed a bit.........

approximately
Beaudier Group - - 48%,
Bain Capital - - - - 37%
CDPQ - - - - - - - - - 7%
good find. I knew it had changed, just wasn't sure of the numbers. I think it's a good thing that the family has majority shares in BRP rather than some investment company like Bain.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question. What purpose would it serve for BRP to alienate the west? The west is full of BRP dealers selling there product to BRP customers. Back in the mid 90's, at the height of Quebec's big separation push and all the talk was to boycott Quebec products the collective management team and family had a meeting of all the workers at the factory in the local arena and explained to them that BRP was a CANADIAN company and did not support separation. Pierre Beaudoin explained to them that anyone that was in favor of separation could pick up there final pay cheques later that day. They would not put up with that type of thinking in their company. I have in all the years that I have been associated with BRP found any or heard any anti west sentiment with this company. A lot of BRP management spend holiday time in the west enjoying BC's mountains and lakes and Alberta's hospitality. Go ahead and Boycott them if you feel you need to. I'm sure they would be disappointed to hear this type of talk but really they won't miss you in the large scheme of things. JMHO.
Nice...? So in other words, sit down and shut the f#$k up, that sounds like a nice place to work. (and don't look to get beat up in their own province, they needed them to go to work the next day!) Where was this forward thinking management team speaking up out in the media, showing us their love and support???

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice...? So in other words, sit down and shut the f#$k up, that sounds like a nice place to work. (and don't look to get beat up in their own province, they needed them to go to work the next day!) Where was this forward thinking management team speaking up out in the media, showing us their love and support???
Yes. Do you let your employees tell you how to run your business? I doubt it. Thats one of the perks of being the boss and running your company in your vision. A number of major Quebec companies such as Power and Bombardier spoke out publicly in 1995 against the referendum. Separatist leader Parizeau spouted that these companies were doing a dis service to there employees and basically in a round about way called them traitors. The referendum was defeated, Parizeau resigned and here we are today. Bombardier and BRP are still here in Canada. You could have found all this information by googling it. Just sayn....

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. Do you let your employees tell you how to run your business? I doubt it. Thats one of the perks of being the boss and running your company in your vision. A number of major Quebec companies such as Power and Bombardier spoke out publicly in 1995 against the referendum. Separatist leader Parizeau spouted that these companies were doing a dis service to there employees and basically in a round about way called them traitors. The referendum was defeated, Parizeau resigned and here we are today. Bombardier and BRP are still here in Canada. You could have found all this information by googling it. Just sayn....
So what you're saying is, that its ok for a company to push its political will on its employees, and threaten them with their jobs. Nice to know where you stand...
You want to support your argument by talking about political events that happened 20 years ago, but don't want to talk about how Skidoo ripped off somebody's design 20 years ago! Hmmm Strange....?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So what you're saying is, that its ok for a company to push its political will on its employees, and threaten them with their jobs. Nice to know where you stand...
You want to support your argument by talking about political events that happened 20 years ago, but don't want to talk about how Skidoo ripped off somebody's design 20 years ago! Hmmm Strange....?
You sound like a union worker...

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sound like a union worker...

Farthest thing from it bud.... I'm just amazed at how brainwashed some people are..??? You can point to the issues, but the blinders and stubbornness just takes over. So, a former dealer can speak up on an issue (and a legion of his followers who spent their hard earned AB cash in his store, support him) all the while the company he is so dearly protecting operates under this cloud of deceit and corruption. He should heed his own advice and search Google Energy East: Quebec environmental groups file court motion challenging pipeline project - Montreal - CBC News When AB can not gain access to global markets, and worse, is impeded by its own Canadian "friends" (who needs enemies with friends like that??) There will be more Canadian energy sector companies that roll up the door mat and move else where, or worse yet again, file bankruptcy. These same companies pay the "lions share" of taxes in the county that he resides, but when they become unable to pay, who will pick up the slack? My question to him is, when the county tax man comes knocking on his door looking for more, will his position remain the same?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe what they did is tell them the companies stance and give them the option to leave if they didn't want to work for a Canadian company that happens to reside in Quebec? You are the one that talked about where BRP's head was in regard to Canada versus Quebec so I brought up the most recent declaration that Bombardier made in regards to your claims they hate western Canada?? And what design are you talking about? What does this have to do about nationalism??:confused:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farthest thing from it bud.... I'm just amazed at how brainwashed some people are..??? You can point to the issues, but the blinders and stubbornness just takes over. So, a former dealer can speak up on an issue (and a legion of his followers who spent their hard earned AB cash in his store, support him) all the while the company he is so dearly protecting operates under this cloud of deceit and corruption. He should heed his own advice and search Google Energy East: Quebec environmental groups file court motion challenging pipeline project - Montreal - CBC News When AB can not gain access to global markets, and worse, is impeded by its own Canadian "friends" (who needs enemies with friends like that??) There will be more Canadian energy sector companies that roll up the door mat and move else where, or worse yet again, file bankruptcy. These same companies pay the "lions share" of taxes in the county that he resides, but when they become unable to pay, who will pick up the slack? My question to him is, when the county tax man comes knocking on his door looking for more, will his position remain the same?
Please copy and paste the part in that link you provided that says Bombardier and BRP are against Energy East please? I cant seem to find anything in the article that says that?? I support Energy East. BRP has not said they don't support it? As a matter of fact a recent poll showed most Quebecer's support it. It appears its more self serving politicians down there that are opposed to it. Now Manitoba is saying they are against it on Global News this morning. Don't blame just Quebec for it? Fair enough? The guys who supported my post aren't former customers of mine. They are just good folks on this site that display common sense when they smell bullcrap I'm thinking?

Top Bottom