snow plows for dirt ?

chop

Reaction score
hay just wondering if any of you have tried to use your snow plows for pushing top soil ? It may be cheaper to buy a snow plow then hire a bob cat to move my top soil around my yard . i only have about 5 dump truck loads to move. just looking for a good reason for the wife to buy a plow . lol

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've tried pushing gravel and you would have to turn buckles where the springs are mine just tipped the blade. Better off renting a bobcat after you bought and tried the blade. Lol they work great for snow tho.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hay just wondering if any of you have tried to use your snow plows for pushing top soil ? It may be cheaper to buy a snow plow then hire a bob cat to move my top soil around my yard . i only have about 5 dump truck loads to move. just looking for a good reason for the wife to buy a plow . lol

I moved some sand around after the BobCat was finished and I was glad I didn't have to use the quad for all of it. You can't place any of the dirt. All you can doo is push it and it would be nearly impossible to push 50 yds and get it consistent. Just my $0.02

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I've done sand. Problem is the more Sand that builds up the front shocks compress and it dig deeper. Need to be a magician on the winch control

chop

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. i was looking at the warn pro vantage plow system . It has a bucket option that mounts to your blade to make a dump box. looks neat.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done topsoil with mine before, like maxwell said, you have to be quick on the winch control. I roughed it in so it was pretty good, and then did a lot of back blading to finish it off. Would have been a LOT faster to use a skid steer

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A pull behind leveling box would be far more beneficial than a blade, you can move a fair bit of material in a short time. I sold mine a handful of years ago...mistake.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spread topsoil with mine and it was no problem. However the topsoil was quite peaty and loose. I think if your topsoil is dense your going to have a time with it. If you need a snow plow anyway. Go for it. I would go with a skid steer if you don't really need a snow plow though.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swisher makes a bucket. It always you 18" of lift and a manual dump. I picked one up at peavey mart a couple years ago. It's a universal bracket that allows you to mount different attachments, Plow, bucket, forks... It would work but it sounds like you have a fair bit to move. Time wise, bobcat would be faster.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hire a skid steer the price of a plow is likely $450.00 to $600.00 skid steer can move 5 loads in maybe 1 to 2 hours.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hire a skid steer with a good operator..........You will waste (too deep) more top soil than the cost of the skid steer......LOL

Top Bottom