Snow in Corbin? /Notch?

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys wondering how the snow is in these 2 areas. Never rode the Notch but looks like a nice place.
I see that the avy risk is high/moderate and with all the wind lately and cold temp Cornice breakage is probably going to be going on so i guess i will be looking for some info on how the tree riding is in these areas

I was in Limestone 2 weeks ago and was good. Looking for a different place to try.
Maybe some guys that know the area would like to show 2 of us around?

I drive a 010summit other guy drives 011HCR. We will be in CNP for Sat,Sunday

Both of us are average to good riders. We won't hold anybody back. Have gear and are in the middle of finishing our ast1.

pm me if your interested

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hi guys wondering how the snow is in these 2 areas. Never rode the Notch but looks like a nice place.
I see that the avy risk is high/moderate and with all the wind lately and cold temp Cornice breakage is probably going to be going on so i guess i will be looking for some info on how the tree riding is in these areas

I was in Limestone 2 weeks ago and was good. Looking for a different place to try.
Maybe some guys that know the area would like to show 2 of us around?

I drive a 010summit other guy drives 011HCR. We will be in CNP for Sat,Sunday

Both of us are average to good riders. We won't hold anybody back. Have gear and are in the middle of finishing our ast1.

pm me if your interested

30+ cm (12+") over the weekend. The snow is great with a good base.

Nothing against the Pass but try to use the Coal Creek trail out of Fernie as it is groomed. Much nicer in the truck for 40 km that pounding over the pipeline.

highstage

Reaction score
rode there all day Friday awesome tree bashing avalanche risk was nill in the notch
we rode down in the trees to the left had a blast dont recommend any high marking started to snow around 03:00 and never stopped 2feet of fresh powder in the rolling hills up top and around 6/12 inches all the way back to the notch once again had a great time check this one pic out its a cat in a tree

Attachments

• fernie 027.jpg
    fernie 027.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 352
  • fernie 018.jpg
    fernie 018.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 350
  • fernie 020.jpg
    fernie 020.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 356
  • fernie 025.jpg
    fernie 025.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 350

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode out of Corbin...the trail was rough! Paid our grooming fees, not a lot of new snow. Coal Creek was better but there was not more than 12" of snow in the Rolling Hills on Sat, unless it was windblown in. They got lots of rain and wet snow all the way to the top last week (above 7200' for sure), underneath it is hard rain crust, watch out for the death cookies and hardpack on the sidehills. In the trees it ain't too bad, lots of windblown stuff in the upper open areas, the base is setup for sure, it's "go anywhere" snow.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Rode out of Corbin...the trail was rough! Paid our grooming fees, not a lot of new snow. Coal Creek was better but there was not more than 12" of snow in the Rolling Hills on Sat, unless it was windblown in. They got lots of rain and wet snow all the way to the top last week (above 7200' for sure), underneath it is hard rain crust, watch out for the death cookies and hardpack on the sidehills. In the trees it ain't too bad, lots of windblown stuff in the upper open areas, the base is setup for sure, it's "go anywhere" snow.

Pretty much unless you break through the crust. My grooming partner said 12" at the Summit on Saturday night. The top of the Notch is 6500' and I haven't heard of any rain up that high but maybe I'm not in the correct circle....

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay so what would be the best place to go as far as good snow, low avy risk stuff? As it looks like it is going to warm up out there for the weekend? This would start to set off some boomers:eek:

Im thinking maybe Limestone again?
any info would be great.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Bud did you ride this past weekend out there?? (jan28,29,30)?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much unless you break through the crust. My grooming partner said 12" at the Summit on Saturday night. The top of the Notch is 6500' and I haven't heard of any rain up that high but maybe I'm not in the correct circle....

We dug in a couple spots and there is a definite harder layer down a little bit, might not have been pure rain but it was definitely "wet snow" when it was laid down. This was above 6500'. Snow at 6500' was crusty, windblown and hard, got better as you went up above that but still had a very packed base.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Groomer should be fixed now and grooming should start again. Sorry about the rough trail.
Modman, let me know when you go down their again, maybe you could show me around.
We are going to Radium area this weekend

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Groomer should be fixed now and grooming should start again. Sorry about the rough trail.
Modman, let me know when you go down their again, maybe you could show me around.
We are going to Radium area this weekend

LOL Don't apologize man, sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes you are the bug. Lucked out and the groomer just passed us ahead of us on Friday aft as we were coming out, so at least some of the trail was flat for us when the legs were tired. I'm not the guy to show you around but I know a couple guys that could. :D

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Bud did you ride this past weekend out there?? (jan28,29,30)?

Verlee from Inn on the Border reporting good snow up Flathead. Should be able to find some snow either Heartbreak, Rainguage, or Elliet Lake.worse case if we get some sun Limestone has a big area to play.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes we should be able to find some fresh somewhere. By the forcast looks like we might get sun on sat but sunday looks cloudy &flurries.

Top Bottom