sled deck on new half ton

dano30

Reaction score
I got a 2010 ram half ton and was wondering if i would have any trouble if i were to get pulled over with a sled deck and 2 sleds on board. The new truck has got a good payload rating just wondering because its not a 3/4 ton frame. any info would help thanks.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a boatload of threads on this subject. If you do a little searching....you'll find it's not highly recommended.

jasonmt

Reaction score
Figuring a 2010 ram 1500 is good for ~1500#'s with two sleds (~500#'s each) and a sled deck (~400#'s) you should be fine as long as there is no one inside the truck, add a driver and you will be over the GVWR...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2008 ram 1500 before my 2010 3500. I would say it is too heavy. Sleds would be closer to 600 pounds plus the deck. If you do it, make sure you install air bags as well in the rear. It wouldnt be as bad then, but without them the truck would be sacked out bigtime.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked out the numbers a few times. It's pretty close if the sleds are empty of gas, you have no bags, and drive by remote control. i believe with load levelers or bags you could probably get away with it but my concern (and reason I sold my deck) was the liability. If you get in an accident and the insurance company finds out you were overloaded you will likely be denied any coverage.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that the brakes are the issue. When you are overloaded the stopping distance will be longer than it should be. HD trucks have HD brakes.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that the brakes are the issue. When you are overloaded the stopping distance will be longer than it should be. HD trucks have HD brakes.

Hey Snopro, Have you heard what about the brakes are "HD"? Calipers? Reason I ask is my old D-max had horrible brakes.. I was actually concerned about my stopping distance while loaded. I Can't say my 1/2ton is any better but just wondered what might be upgraded on HD trucks.

just currious that's all.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it has much to do with the brakes as it would the axles. You can tow a 3000 LB. trailer that has no brakes with a 1/2 ton legally.

1/2 tons have semi floating axles, which mean the weight of the truck, cargo, PLUS the torque of the drive shaft has an effect on it.
3/4 tons have full floating axles, which mean the axle housing supports the load, and the shaft is used for torque purposes only.

full vs semi float axle.jpg semi float axle.jpg full floating axle.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Snopro, Have you heard what about the brakes are "HD"? Calipers? Reason I ask is my old D-max had horrible brakes.. I was actually concerned about my stopping distance while loaded. I Can't say my 1/2ton is any better but just wondered what might be upgraded on HD trucks.

just currious that's all.

I was just told by an RCMP officer that the brakes on a half ton are insufficient for hauling sleds. He says its all about stopping distance. Adding leafs or airbags doesn't play into it.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
500 kgs over as pic shows with two sleds. This included all our gear and extra fuel (4-5gal jerry cans). The pickup is also a 2wd with a Hemi. I never had any braking issues with this truck. It was a good pickup :) Then I up graded because my needs dictated so.

Attachments

• 03.07.06 013.jpg
    03.07.06 013.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 264
  • 03.07.06 011.jpg
    03.07.06 011.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 252

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a F150 for work I carry at least 600lb of tools and parts. I have a sled deck on and I'm usually packing a quad or sled. I have never had any issues with the law or dot. I have put two extra leafs in the rear. I would check your payload rating and if you are within that then you are good to go. Payload=gvw - mgvw. Next time you see a dot half ton look at it. I bet that they are over weight with there equipment in the truck, the truck looks like its on the ground.

dano30

Reaction score
Well thanks for all your input. I think i will stick with the trailer till i get a 3/4 ton.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just told by an RCMP officer that the brakes on a half ton are insufficient for hauling sleds. He says its all about stopping distance. Adding leafs or airbags doesn't play into it.

SO.... when a half ton hauls a trtailer (single Axle, no brakes) with 2 or 3 sleds...... it would be that same argument.... Your basically saying half tons are useless.... You want PROPER info about hauling and brakes and rules, RCMP only know what they like to nail you on, not the actual rules that dictate what they can do....

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have a 2002 silverado 1500 with a 6.5" lift, and 5.3l engine. I have a 300lb sled deck, and hauled two sleds, a 470lb. 2004 f7 firecat extended to 153", and a 485lb 2001 mountain cat 800cc 162", and then a 429lb. snopro440 in a 1,240 lb. trailer, my truck was fully loaded with all my clothes, kitchen, tv, gear, rig clothes and gear, food, extra track, and tools, exected my truck was towing I found there was a difference in braking, but not that much of a great deal in stopping difference. my truck has the stock braking system with 35" tires, i have upgraded with air bags in the rear with heavy springs, and have my truck kept up to high standards and in very good mechanical standings, it all depends on driving habits, you can't expect a fully loaded vehicle to have the same stopping distance when unloaded. YOU need to change your driving habits, increase following distance, decrease speed, and pay more attention to the road ahead, and lights ahead of you instead of the vehicle ahead of you. This is all good driving habits, how do you expect a fully loaded big rig to stop in same distance as when it's unloaded? Is it the brake's fault that he rear ended someone? I think not.

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 silverado 1500 with a 6.5" lift, and 5.3l engine. I have a 300lb sled deck, and hauled two sleds, a 470lb. 2004 f7 firecat extended to 153", and a 485lb 2001 mountain cat 800cc 162", and then a 429lb. snopro440 in a 1,240 lb. trailer, my truck was fully loaded with all my clothes, kitchen, tv, gear, rig clothes and gear, food, extra track, and tools, exected my truck was towing I found there was a difference in braking, but not that much of a great deal in stopping difference. my truck has the stock braking system with 35" tires, i have upgraded with air bags in the rear with heavy springs, and have my truck kept up to high standards and in very good mechanical standings, it all depends on driving habits, you can't expect a fully loaded vehicle to have the same stopping distance when unloaded. YOU need to change your driving habits, increase following distance, decrease speed, and pay more attention to the road ahead, and lights ahead of you instead of the vehicle ahead of you. This is all good driving habits, how do you expect a fully loaded big rig to stop in same distance as when it's unloaded? Is it the brake's fault that he rear ended someone? I think not.
Doesn't make it anywhere near legal though.....

Top Bottom