Skidoo Problems and helmet question.

fordevr

Reaction score
I took my first ride on my 97 Summit 583 and it was awesome for the first hr and then all of a sudden it would lose power and gain power and lose power and get it back. Would this be gasline freeze-up or fuel filter or something else? I had a full tank of fuel when I started. When I stopped for 5 mins it seemed to get better for 5 or 10 mins. Then it started to do it again. The temp was -23C to -25C. I was also wondering what everyone does to keep the frickin sheild from fogging up. lol. I took a pair of goggles and a fullface helmet with a shield and they both fogged up in the first 25 mins of riding. The little thinngy that covers your nose, didn't work either. I'm thinking about getting a heated visor, unless someone has a better idea.
Thanks.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like the carbs were freezing up well thats my guess my old xlt use to do the same thing

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my first ride on my 97 Summit 583 and it was awesome for the first hr and then all of a sudden it would lose power and gain power and lose power and get it back. Would this be gasline freeze-up or fuel filter or something else? I had a full tank of fuel when I started. When I stopped for 5 mins it seemed to get better for 5 or 10 mins. Then it started to do it again. The temp was -23C to -25C. I was also wondering what everyone does to keep the frickin sheild from fogging up. lol. I took a pair of goggles and a fullface helmet with a shield and they both fogged up in the first 25 mins of riding. The little thinngy that covers your nose, didn't work either. I'm thinking about getting a heated visor, unless someone has a better idea.
Thanks.

I have a ski-doo mountian balaclava and 509 goggles works great a nice seal between the goggle and balaclava will make a big difference. how many miles on this sled? I had a 97 summit 500 that did the same thing, I cant rember exactly what it was but it was a problem with the primary or secondary clutches

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
Probably your fuel pump. My 91 mach one did this. It started out with the surging then it gets worst. The engine will die, takes about a hundred pulls to get back started. Took a lot of talking to people to figure out. The price to fix, about ten bucks and an hour at most. Helmet issue, goto the heated visor. That is what I did for this year.

fordevr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll try fuel pump/filter first cause that sounds the cheapest. Has anyone else ever had to run fuel line antifreeze? I don't ever recall anyone I know using it so thats probly not the problem. If you did use it ..would you put a entire little container in a tank or only haly a container?

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
before you start buying parts, run gas line antifreeze. that is where i would start. follow directions on bottle.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carb freeze up. As for the helmet... in those sort of temps you can't prevent fog/ice up on a shield. Maybe heated shield but they're a pain in the A$$. Go to MX style helmet and a good pair of goggles.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 670 carbs freeze up at -20 to -25 I used to tape up the vents with duct tape. This only works BEFORE they are frozen. I got tired of peeling off the tape and bought the closable vents. I have three friends with 96-97 670's and they all do it. If you need a quick fix from frozen a kettle full of hot water poured over them will get you going if you don't have a warm shop.

And gas line I'd follow the info on the container

fordevr

Reaction score
Thanks I'll give it a go ...when it warms up a little...:d :beer:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a heated sheild will help a lot. I find mine works great to about -29, then i think anything will fog.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the problem of carbs freezing up on my MXZ, duct taped the hood vents when in deep snow or cold, most of the year other than spring ditch banging. I also dumped in some gas line a/f and never had problems with that again. Easiest way to fix it is sell the doo and buy a Cat. The fog problem, buy one of these:

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always used gasline antifreeze. I have 2 helmets, one snocross with 509 goggles that I wear in the mountains, and a BV2S helmet with a heated visor. I have actually been out in -35 celsius weather and never had a problem. As for the goggles I have been out in about -28 weather last year in golden right before christmas. All I did there was Heat the goggles up from the exhaust of my sled and they would be good for like half an hour. Not that bad really. The heated visors are all right. I have used one all my life.

Top Bottom