Skidoo owners. Do your self a favor and buy a spare DESS

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after more then a yr of owning my sled I learned the hard way of why you should have at least 2 tethers for your doo! Playing in the sugar bowl on boulder I effed up a pull and burried the sled. No big deal done it lots! The sled decides to roll over top of me and my tether which is always around my wrist rips off as per usual. I finally get down to my sled after trenching through waste deep snow on a pretty steep incline, flip it right side up and go to plug in my tether only to realize the black dess knob on the tether ripped completly off the tether and is no where to be found. Searched my area for a good 30 minutes with no luck. In that case I tied up my XP to 2 sleds to pull me out if the sugar and through and out the Super Bowl then down to my truck. Drove to H20 in sicamous where he was able to get it in and program TWO new keys for me. Anyways mOral of the story is always bring a spare key!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I always have a spare back in the truck.

sent from a phone

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after more then a yr of owning my sled I learned the hard way of why you should have at least 2 tethers for your doo! Playing in the sugar bowl on boulder I effed up a pull and burried the sled. No big deal done it lots! The sled decides to roll over top of me and my tether which is always around my wrist rips off as per usual. I finally get down to my sled after trenching through waste deep snow on a pretty steep incline, flip it right side up and go to plug in my tether only to realize the black dess knob on the tether ripped completly off the tether and is no where to be found. Searched my area for a good 30 minutes with no luck. In that case I tied up my XP to 2 sleds to pull me out if the sugar and through and out the Super Bowl then down to my truck. Drove to H20 in sicamous where he was able to get it in and program TWO new keys for me. Anyways mOral of the story is always bring a spare key!
It a good thing your good buddy owns a rescue business.

Braaap

Reaction score
Curious to know what a new key costs and guessing you need to bring the sled and your registration in with you to get it done? Cant imagine they would give a key to anyone.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious to know what a new key costs and guessing you need to bring the sled and your registration in with you to get it done? Cant imagine they would give a key to anyone.
Cost me 180 tax in for 2 new keys programmed at the dealer. Registration is on the sled so pretty easy to varify. Had me in and out in about 20 mins. Probly paid more then I should of. It I guess he could sense the desperation in my voice. Sorry LHF didn't use him

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I believe its around $30 for the key, and yes they have to program it for you.

sent from a phone

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gotta do that soon. The one on the wife's sled is acting up. Looks worn pretty bad on the contacts. :beer:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its also a good idea if you ride with the same people alot to have their sleds programmed to your DESS.

I believe its up to 8 sleds you can program. Then you could always buy one spare and share the cost between a few people.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually you program the sled to the key. The sledCan learn up to 4 dess keys or something like that. Another good idea is to bring a couple of your buddies sleds in and have all the sleds programmed to work with each other's keys. Then anyone's key in your group can drive the sled. I carry a spare dess in my backpack, tucked in where the airbag cannister is.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
key Part# 515177057 $45.99 + gst
plus about 30min as a min shop charge for a key charge. so most places are like $ 90-120

hope this all helps

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Allways have one in my pack. Can't believe H2O did it for ya although my dealer doesn't charge any where near that.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Surprised he even did it for you considering you probably never bought the sled from him. But................$180 for programming 2 x $45 keys is pretty good coin. Just for everyones knowledge, it takes about 10 minutes to program 2 keys with a laptop and can be done on your truck or in your trailer if the dealer can get right to it.

any1butjj

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't if it is true for sleds but for quads the dealer told me that he could program the keys to work in more than one machine as at one time we had 2 quads and they programmed the keys to work in both and got a spare done at the same time. I learned the hard way with my quad with these keys as I broke the key of with my foot when I put my feet up on top my fenders for a deep water crossing - not good.

Top Bottom