Side x Side Recommendations

Luchak58

Reaction score
My dad is looking at getting a side x side. He's looking for something that will be good for trail riding and speed isn't a big factor in his decision. Right now he's looking at a John Deere XUV 825I. Neither of us know much about the side x sides so any opinions about the john deere or any other side x sides would be awesome.

Thanks

raptor700rgytr

Reaction score
fwiw we just picked up a rzr 4 and its awesome. we use it for everything from just driving around our community at the lake and to the store all the way to some serious offroading. they have great power and the power steering option is amazing on the trails. the only down side we have come across is its kinda loud in our community but not to bad and there is no "bed" per say to put anything. more of just a waste of space in the back. again its all on what you are using it for. we used to have a rhino. again another good machine. more of a worker than anything to play around in but can steel hold its own out in the back woods. i know nothing about the john deer but if it help we have had a jd tractor for 21 years and it works fantastic. hope this helps :d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rzr is certainly a fun machine, packed with lots of oomph. I'm really lucky, I get to try out all the units at work, we sell Polaris and Arctic Cat side by sides. Because our family doesn't really have a huge need for speed, we actually like the Ranger 500. It is still a torquey machine, but I can fit 3 of us in the cab, because of the bench seat, it fits 6 hay bales nicely. The dump box is awesome for dumping chicken poop, rocks that we've gathered, dirt and compost. If we want to go for a fun ride it fits in the back of a truck. You'll find the top speed of the JD is a little more work oriented than the Ranger or Rzr. Rangers and Rzrs wonderfully smooth travel, you can flip into 4x4 on the fly , they have high and low range, accommadate a big snow blade nicely, and can fit 2 labs a wolf and a chihuahua in the back. You'll also find they are priced well. The center of gravity on the Rangers and Rzrs are very very stable.
It's kinda what suits us for a family mobile. The perks of the RZR, super comfy sporty unit, they rip, and the 800s are narrow enough to fit in the back of a truck. The 800s is wider, super fun.. and the RZR 900xp is a beast of powerhouse. . Can't go wrong either way. Polaris has awesome rebates right now. plus price protection, making the bottom dollar very appealing.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Polaris Ranger 500 and I like alot! It goes through way more mud and skeg then I ever thought possible. And in a drag race between my ranger and the neighbors rhino 700 there is no difference, we are side by side. And we both got the same tires. And my ranger was way cheaper, tire, winch, windshield, and roof out the door was $13122

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbing, going through mud, you never seem to tire out. 4 wheel drive on a honda foreman is equal to two wheel drive on a RZR. Although they do not pack as much gear as some of the s x s they still pack way the hell more than any quad can. As you can see the person above here just loves his.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im biased because i have a rzr, so naturally i would recommend one.

however, if your just doing slower trail riding, id go with the one that provides the best bang for your buck.
no sense spending top dollar if your not going to use all of the suspension/power that your paying extra for.

test drive a few, see what one you like, you probably don't need anything to extreme.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rhino. Special editions come with upgraded shocks for smoother ride. $300 fuel programmer smartins up bottom mid and top end torque. Like mine. Biased to Yamaha though.

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teryx!! It's bigger than a rhino and a rzr for comfort and tougher than a RZR. Has a V-twin motor, bigger dump box and non current year are same as new but cheaper. If you want the best get a teryx-4 all the above minus the dump box but redesigned and overall a better machine! Just my opinion, I have had four of them and wouldn't switch to any other brand.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive been a cat brand loyal sledder and sxs up till a month ago now. we just bought a 900xp 4 and love it!!!! my wife went from anxiety, nervous, and get out and walk around obsticles to can't stay awake in the new sxs. i agree with above. buy for what u need. the lower center of gravity makes a world of diffrence! as well as the extra width. the next thing i strongly belive in is the quallity of the product and quallity of service and support from dealerships. buy within your means but bottom line is safety!! what ever makes you and the passenger feel the safest is key. if you can test drive any of the brands do. ergonomics very from one brand to the next. if you need a work horse 90% and play 10% get a rhino\terex\prowler\ranger. if you want play 90% and work 10% get a rzr. hope this helps.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone is talking about the big models here. Polaris also has the new 570 RZR, same great ride as the 800 but smaller engine & better pricing. I've tried the Ranger, great ride, lots of power but the bench seat doesnt do it for me to up right like sitting in a school bus. Tried the Rhino, had better seating but not the power or ride comfort. Then I tried a RZR S & now own one.
But you really need to try & take a few for a test ride to see what you would like.

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My dad is looking at getting a side x side. He's looking for something that will be good for trail riding and speed isn't a big factor in his decision. Right now he's looking at a John Deere XUV 825I. Neither of us know much about the side x sides so any opinions about the john deere or any other side x sides would be awesome.

Thanks

Ever heard of CF Moto?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
three of my friend have bought john deers and they seemed to be built strong and run well to we are going to have to do some snorkle work and they should be good

Dean Coles

Reaction score
Hi Momma: Since you sell Polaris, I have. a question for you. The Polaris rzr s and the sportsman 800 quad, I know both are very well made machines, but can the rzr s go anywhere the sportsman can go? and are they the same for top speed as well as pick up. I read that the Polaris rzrs can go from zero to 35 mph in 3.8 seconds, and ideal how long it takes the sportsman 800 to reach the same speed. I have searched the internet but can't find comparisons of both. Thanks for your time.

Top Bottom