Shoulder Surgery....YIKES

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your time getting back on the saddle, I separated my shoulder a number years ago and I should have done more Physio, still hurts from time to time. Do it right the first time and heal well!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
So it's been three days since my surgery. I'm in a shoulder sling and am told I will have to wear this immobilizing sling for 6 weeks then it can be removed and I can start regaining the mobility in movement and then after 12 weeks I can start strength training. The weird part of all this is that I am not in any pain at all. I take my sling off several times a day and seem to have fairly good movement with very minimal pain. Is it possible to do damage without feeling it? I'm a little concerned to be honest. For anyone worried about being in pain post surgery.... Don't sweat it.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's been three days since my surgery. I'm in a shoulder sling and am told I will have to wear this immobilizing sling for 6 weeks then it can be removed and I can start regaining the mobility in movement and then after 12 weeks I can start strength training. The weird part of all this is that I am not in any pain at all. I take my sling off several times a day and seem to have fairly good movement with very minimal pain. Is it possible to do damage without feeling it? I'm a little concerned to be honest. For anyone worried about being in pain post surgery.... Don't sweat it.
Darc, Physio and proper rehab is probably as important as the surgery. Easy to overdo it early and re injure.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May feel good and no pain but broken bones hurt but what u had done takes TIME to heal properly tendons and such are usually painfree except for the insisions have to relax and watch every one work and play.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good job havin no pain. I had alot of pain for about a month. Don't get overconfident and overdo it. If u have to have the surgery repeated the chances of a full recovery is lessened.
And my first trip to the mountains with my repaired shoulder was a sucess. No issues at all and after the first couple hours on the hill I didn't even think about it at all. Best of luck on your recovery.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Pills?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Good job havin no pain. I had alot of pain for about a month. Don't get overconfident and overdo it. If u have to have the surgery repeated the chances of a full recovery is lessened.
And my first trip to the mountains with my repaired shoulder was a sucess. No issues at all and after the first couple hours on the hill I didn't even think about it at all. Best of luck on your recovery.
Good to hear! Can't wait to put my leg over a brand new KTM 300 come June. That's enough incentive right there to have a good, safe recovery.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear! Can't wait to put my leg over a brand new KTM 300 come June. That's enough incentive right there to have a good, safe recovery.

Forgot to mention this but they had me doin range of motion exercises 4 hrs after my surgery so as long as you don't overdo it you should be fine. Best of luck and I can't wait to get on a dirt bike again next year. Just gotta buy another one as I sold my crf250r cause I wasn't able to ride. No bike no temptation according to my wife.lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well??

Are you getting better?

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
It been 7 weeks since surgery. I'm out of the sling and working on getting my range of movement back. My first physio appointment in on the 27th. I'm not supposed to strength train until week 12. It feels good for the most part. ROM is returning normally and virtually pain free until I do my stretches. But it's a good hurt. I bought a nautilus home gym and can't wait to use it. BRAP!!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i separated both shoulders. one 10 years ago and one 11. just re hurt my left one this weekend riding. I couldnt start my sled with my left arm, it would just jar it and i could feel it pulling apart.

anywho i loaded two bags of groceries in the truck the other night with my right arm and then lifted and placed a 4L jug of milk on my rams center console with my left arm with it straight out reached and my shoulder almost popped out holding that milk.....MAN shoulders suck.

Hope it gets better. i may have to do the same one day.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
i separated both shoulders. one 10 years ago and one 11. just re hurt my left one this weekend riding. I couldnt start my sled with my left arm, it would just jar it and i could feel it pulling apart.

anywho i loaded two bags of groceries in the truck the other night with my right arm and then lifted and placed a 4L jug of milk on my rams center console with my left arm with it straight out reached and my shoulder almost popped out holding that milk.....MAN shoulders suck.

Hope it gets better. i may have to do the same one day.
dude it won't get better only worse. I ended up with about 8 dislocations in 2 years. Just kept getting worse... Looser than a two dollar whore.
Your labrum is tore. Tell your doc and get the ball rolling. I'm lucky I didn't need anytime off work but I have a dog fawk job. I can tell already that my shoulder is sewed tighter. Starting to feel good again.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dude it won't get better only worse. I ended up with about 8 dislocations in 2 years. Just kept getting worse... Looser than a two dollar whore.
Your labrum is tore. Tell your doc and get the ball rolling. I'm lucky I didn't need anytime off work but I have a dog fawk job. I can tell already that my shoulder is sewed tighter. Starting to feel good again.

I sit at a computer all day, i could make it work.

Worse thing is that its both, my right playing slow pitch got rear sore throwing a ball from the out feild a few times and batting i had to almost just bump it...

Now my friggan left.

Yah i guess your right, can i get and xray and get the worse one done first? Then do the other later?

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

Glad it's getting better..

luckly you didn't need time off work.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I sit at a computer all day, i could make it work.

Worse thing is that its both, my right playing slow pitch got rear sore throwing a ball from the out feild a few times and batting i had to almost just bump it...

Now my friggan left.

Yah i guess your right, can i get and xray and get the worse one done first? Then do the other later?

The first step is getting an dye injected MRI and it's quick from there. I also had the luxury of picking which season I had to sit out from playing. Figure I can always sled when I'm an old bugger like Fernie. Only a couple years left in me on my dirt scooter.

shaunster111

Reaction score
Sucks to hear in the same boat tho. Broke my leg Silvia style in dec. long road to recovery getting pretty good at drinking beer and looking at sleds tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Top Bottom