Shopping For First Sled

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a few 2011 etecs on kijiji for $8500 (could get for 8) in the edmonton area. I just picked up a 13 XM for 8k. Have to be on at the right time.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
I'd look at a the arctic cat m8 for a used sled in that price range. Bullet proof motor, easier to ride than the xp in my opinion and tons of power. Personally the polaris motors scare the hell out of me lots of guys I ride with have cooked motors in them often, too bad cause the dragon was a nice sled to ride.

If you are buying any used sled I'd want to inspect the clutches for new parts, hopefully they've been upkept. I like to pull the pipe off and look into the y-pipe to see the cyl's if poss. Its easy on the cat to see into the y-pipe and see the pistons, polaris and skidoo a bit harder. I'd want to do a compression check as well to get an idea of wear on the engine and also check the chaincase fluids looking for metalic flakes. If you have $8G cash you arent too far off on buying a new sled, hell you'd prob only have to finance $4g, might be worth it to go new you could easily dump $2g into a used sled if you buy the wrong one.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine just got an 11 etec X model 800 with 1000 miles on it off of kijiji. It had the engine update done at 600 miles, NEW 163" t motion skid and 2.5" flex edge track, cover, jerry can, tunnel bag, spare belt, quick clickers, vent kit, scratchers for 8000$ so good deals are out there.

bkoz

Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread with my new to me sled:

'11 M8 SnoPro, 2500kms, brand new reeds, running boards and DD bearing. Has a vent kit, can, cover and came with a spare 5203 DD bearing and a spare DD rebuild kit. The best part is the sled was owned by an old friend who is an ex-sled mechanic. He also went through the skid and clutches so it should be ready to ride. All in all it is super clean, especially compared to the used units I looked at. And it came in well under my budget. :cool:

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured I would update this thread with my new to me sled:

[url]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/bkozphotobucket/2011%20Arctic%20Cat%20M8/IMG_20141103_073102_zpsa8af21b6.jpg[/URL]

'11 M8 SnoPro, 2500kms, brand new reeds, running boards and DD bearing. Has a vent kit, can, cover and came with a spare 5203 DD bearing and a spare DD rebuild kit. The best part is the sled was owned by an old friend who is an ex-sled mechanic. He also went through the skid and clutches so it should be ready to ride. All in all it is super clean, especially compared to the used units I looked at. And it came in well under my budget. :cool:

Those are good sleds! You will have a good season of riding. I would suggest some adjustable weights if you are going to do some riding around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never mind about the weights just seen you live in kamloops you will be in the mountains all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I was just reading this thread for the first time. The whole time I was thinking "why has nobody mentioned a 10 or 11 HO Cat". Good for you. You made a good choice. I went from an XP to a Pro then bought an 09 M8 as a second sled and IMHO it is a much better machine than the XP. Way more predictable and the steering is proper.

Top Bottom