Shooting with your kids.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know every kid has their own maturity level at different ages, but how old were your kids when you started plinking away at a target or a pop can in the woods with them? My boy is going to be 6 in June, and I was going to get him a Red Ryder BB rifle for his birthday, and start with that. Obviously supervised and all things safety took into consideration, then graduate into a 22 later on.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girls started at 7 and 9? I took the bolt out of an old cooey 22 and the first few shooting days was all range etiquette. Finger no where near the trigger, muzzle direction etc. As soon as they understood and were respectful with out me standing over them. The bolt went in...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girls started at 7 and 9? I took the bolt out of an old cooey 22 and the first few shooting days was all range etiquette. Finger no where near the trigger, muzzle direction etc. As soon as they understood and were respectful with out me standing over them. The bolt went in...

About 6-7 years old and started with pellet guns.
Coming with me hunting at about 12.
Got into the geese at about 14.

One of the guys in my group teaches gun handling course.
PM me if you want info to get in touch with him.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my one boy a pellet gun for 8th bday and the other a compound bow. Probably around 10 we had them shooting targets, but with a single shot 22 only, then worked them up through bolt action and repeaters. At 12 they took there firearm safety which allowed them to get their PAL at 18, and the one boy continues to come out hunting and shooting targets at 21. The other could care less however wants to maintain his PAL. He buys me ammo for christmas.:d

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we started taking my son hunting when he was 8 months old. every year he was out there and started helping with the animals at 3 years old. Started shooting at about 8. did his pal at 10 and got his first deer at 11. Now at 18 he has filled tags every year.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Savage makes a "little rascal" I think it's called. Very small .22 single shot designed for kids. Cost wise not much more than a BBB gun, way lighter and easier to use than the old Cooey I started with, start em young and teach them right and keep it fun, brick of 22's in a single shot can last a fair bit of time lol

Last edited:

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome to see so many people teaching their kids about firearms. I am looking forward to having some good, safe fun with my kids as they grow. Thanks for all the responses.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been hunting with my son since he was almost two. He started shooting the .22 when he was 6. Bought him his own when he was 8. Been hunting with him since.

Prsledder

Reaction score
Here’s some food for thought and the way I approached things.

My family is very liberal. Did not like firearms at all. When I was thinking about this and the young age, I thought about people’s comments about giving them a pellet gun instead of a real firearm. I thought back to what me and my friends did with pellet guns back in the day. Most parents will give a kid a pellet gun and teach them some/all of the proper handling after the purchase. They will supervise the kids use for a while and then it will taper off. I think it tapers off because it’s just a pellet gun. The kid respects what he was taught for a while and then he will notice no one is watching him anymore and start to to do what kids do.

I chose to buy the kids real firearms. Both got downsized 22lr models so they could easily handle them. They were taken to the range and taught properly. We went out anytime they wanted to and had fun at the range. The kids never were unsupervised with the firearm. Now my kids shoot and hunt with me. Still supervised. We enjoy shooting gophers which if we every get rid of this snow this year will be coming up soon.

Enjoy your kids and tech them right.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my grandkids out when they were really young under 5 for sure, if you want a safe little gun, get the chiappa little badger. Heck it is even my favorite gun too. 1500 rds later and they were fighting over the last few bullets.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My daughter started with the air rifle and a bow at 5, 7 now, and shoots the .22 with helping hands always near. Once they really understand that the consequence of careless use can be death, seem to be quite cautious and respectful of it. Beat the safety into them young and they won’t form bad habits that have to be broken later.

Top Bottom