Shell sells nearly all oil sands interests to CNRL

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaks volumes when a company that size is shedding oil sands projects to seek higher return on investment and better cash flow.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres been rumors of shell wanting out for years, before the ndp even.
At least cnrl is primarily a canadian company.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell has been divesting for a while now, they sold a pile of stuff to Tourmaline and now this. CNRL scares me though... they are lean and mean there is a reason that they have one of the lowest lifting costs out there. Not the funnest company to work for, expect lots of job cuts soon.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell has been divesting for a while now, they sold a pile of stuff to Tourmaline and now this. CNRL scares me though... they are lean and mean there is a reason that they have one of the lowest lifting costs out there. Not the funnest company to work for, expect lots of job cuts soon.

They are known for job cuts and lack of maintenance. Just enough to get by, to make money.

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked for CNRL for years, ****ty deal for Shell employees. CNRL hasn't cut a single job and things are maintained. There's higher paying jobs out there but at least a guys getting paid well enough, can't complain really. Big joke when someone leaves is "We'll see you in a couple months" lol. CNRL has acquired a lot of interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked for CNRL for years, ****ty deal for Shell employees. CNRL hasn't cut a single job and things are maintained. There's higher paying jobs out there but at least a guys getting paid well enough, can't complain really. Big joke when someone leaves is "We'll see you in a couple months" lol. CNRL has acquired a lot of interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm one of them :(

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This isn't direct at you in the least .
Some companies require people to work and be held accountable.
My son in law works for CNRL as employee doing instrumentation and really likes working for them.
He is a hard worker though and doesn't have any complaints.
Company's like Shell can't operate at $50-60 per barrel .

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son in law works for CNRL as employee doing instrumentation and really likes working for them.

We trimmed the fat HUGE... We all knew we were for sale, there was no reason we kept cutting. Our production costs are 26 per barrel. Management denied it, or perhaps didn't know about the sale.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Completely agree with your comments, CNRL has a pretty solid business sense no doubt about it. The paper work and politics of working for a Exxon or Shell is out of control anymore. I know guys who work seasonal shutdowns that have waited days to get a permit issued for there task. That would not happen at CNRL.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Company's like Shell can't operate at $50

Yes they do and Shell is actually a company that does it well. They are simply shifting assets. Im not particular to Shell but would say a solid business move

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your right, and there is a reason why they didnt divest their assets in fox creek and GP.

The Only job cut I forsee are the shell employees that are not willing to relocate within the company, and there is no position available within the new company for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

honda75

Reaction score
Shell took a huge loss to get out of the oilsands but they think thats better than losing more down the line.

I wish CNRL well, but I think the glory days are over and never coming back. I wouldn't invest my money into a 50 year project as high cost as the oilsands, and there are dark clouds growing on the demand front - the switch to electric vehicles is going to hit Alberta hard, I fear.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shell took a huge loss to get out of the oilsands but they think thats better than losing more down the line.

I wish CNRL well, but I think the glory days are over and never coming back. I wouldn't invest my money into a 50 year project as high cost as the oilsands, and there are dark clouds growing on the demand front - the switch to electric vehicles is going to hit Alberta hard, I fear.

Insitu oil sands projects are very competitive actually, many can sanctioned at mid $50's WTI.

This is why we need pipelines and market access, need other developing markets to sell to.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting out while they can IMO. Selling a mine for 40% of what it cost to build.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see the strategy on both sides. Shell made a commitment to reduce debt, and CNRL just scored a great price on a lot of proven reserves.

But I don't think I will hold my breath waiting to hear back on that job I applied to at Shell last week.....

Top Bottom