Search and rescue epidemic

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !
So I've sat on this for a couple day's now and can't seem to get it off my mind.
On new years day 4 of us headed up the back side of Turtle, we got about 1km up the single track trail and here's this guy walking out.
You could tell by his body expression that he was sure glad to see us. As I got closer to him I could tell he was half frozen so offered him a warm toque and bellaclava but he assured me he was fine as he was still pretty warm from trying to get his stuck sled out. He had i light winter jacket, light winter boots,bicycle helmet,full open face bellaclava,and not to bad of winter gloves.
He had rented the sled from one of the local renters, by himself, no backpack, no shovel, no becon, no probe.
While doubling him back to his sled we came upon a fellow who's Yamaha was burning to the ground ,we tried helping him out but was beyond being able to put it out so we carried on to where rider number one had gotten stuck.
I can't help but think had this guy had at least a shovel he would have been able to get himself out quite easily. We gave it a few side to side yanks, and ski pull and he was out.
We then took him back to rider guy that was watching his sled smolder and they doubled out.
Anyways, it's left me shaking my head to why this guy would go up a mountain by himself,never rode the mountains before, why would the rental outfit send him out without at least a friggin shovel. Anyways, glad it worked out for both guys, but it still leaves me shaking my head.

Why would a rental company even rent him a sled. I only rent sleds to people that are going out with someone local. Some people are totally clueless and you have to protect them from themselves.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !
So I've sat on this for a couple day's now and can't seem to get it off my mind.
On new years day 4 of us headed up the back side of Turtle, we got about 1km up the single track trail and here's this guy walking out.
You could tell by his body expression that he was sure glad to see us. As I got closer to him I could tell he was half frozen so offered him a warm toque and bellaclava but he assured me he was fine as he was still pretty warm from trying to get his stuck sled out. He had i light winter jacket, light winter boots,bicycle helmet,full open face bellaclava,and not to bad of winter gloves.
He had rented the sled from one of the local renters, by himself, no backpack, no shovel, no becon, no probe.
While doubling him back to his sled we came upon a fellow who's Yamaha was burning to the ground ,we tried helping him out but was beyond being able to put it out so we carried on to where rider number one had gotten stuck.
I can't help but think had this guy had at least a shovel he would have been able to get himself out quite easily. We gave it a few side to side yanks, and ski pull and he was out.
We then took him back to rider guy that was watching his sled smolder and they doubled out.
Anyways, it's left me shaking my head to why this guy would go up a mountain by himself,never rode the mountains before, why would the rental outfit send him out without at least a friggin shovel. Anyways, glad it worked out for both guys, but it still leaves me shaking my head.
That's a ****ty start to a ride to say the least.

The rental place should be ashamed for not doing a little due diligence.

Sled burning happens ....
But more to the point of why you shouldn't ride alone.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really fear we will see more and more incidents and accidents out in the backcountry, so many riders are so concerned with with their go pros and selfie sticks and now even drones that they will just keep pushing the envelope to get a better vid of themselves than the last guy.
So many watch these vids and see the magazine shots and think that they can do that **** too. I hate the vanity epidemic that is plaguing this sport!

Frick I love you Scotts... total truth.. Had kind of a rough day today. I truly believe that a valuable point of contact to reach and influence the new inexperienced riders is at the point of sale. Dealerships, and shops like ours can be a great place to initiate and help groom new riders into safety. Not going to lie... almost lost my shizzle about 4 times today. New riders some on brand new iron, some on older iron come in, and they are most concerned with performance parts and pictures of themselves (go pros etc) than purchasing, and learning how to use safety equipment. Seriously... If I hear the words.. "ohhhh I don't ride in avalanche terrain"... or.. Oh I hate wearing a back pack it hurts my neck one more freakin time I may explode. WTF seriously... WE LIVE IN THE MOUNTAINS!!! THEREFORE YOU MUST RIDE PREPARED and EDU freakin Cated!!! gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I literally have to beg and plead for some people to take their lives seriously... one saving grace is giving their significant other's a copy of Throttle decisions and a list of essentials to pack for the back country.
These new riders most certainly have no money to spare for a club membership, transceiver shovel, probe, back pack, radio, or god forbid a tek vest... yet they will boast with excitement about the number of hits their gopro vid on facebook got... So... I keep on keeping on...... our club members are really good about reaching out and trying to influence the newer riders out there... to make safety appear hip and fly. I go on the radio in the kootenays in an attempt to reach those with potatoes in their ears... we can do it... we just have to keep on trying.

snowhunter

Reaction score
We found a father daughter in Boulder today down in the trees off waldy toward the cabin she was on a rental and had never been on a sled and he had a old zx summit they had been stuck bad and just kept getting farther down into bad area ....one of our group found them and we spent the next hour and half getting them out had we not found them it woulda been Sar ...needles to say they were grateful to have been found but the point is they had no business being there in the first place but I don't know how u control things like this. People can do whatever they want long as they have the money and that causes big problems sometimes

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We found a father daughter in Boulder today down in the trees off waldy toward the cabin she was on a rental and had never been on a sled and he had a old zx summit they had been stuck bad and just kept getting farther down into bad area ....one of our group found them and we spent the next hour and half getting them out had we not found them it woulda been Sar ...needles to say they were grateful to have been found but the point is they had no business being there in the first place but I don't know how u control things like this. People can do whatever they want long as they have the money and that causes big problems sometimes

Good on your group for helping out.

Did you notice if they had any gear with them? Transceivers, shovels, probes or packs with overnight survival gear.

snowhunter

Reaction score
They had shovel Beacon probe I think but definitely no over night gear at all nice people but just had no business being there and no one informed them they thought they were just gonna ride trails ....doubt they will be back up there today lol

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yup being on a ZX and renting a sled means you have money.. Why do people always say if you got the money! More money then brains, all these people with there money causing problem,etc... This stuff has nothing to do with money! Truthfully the people with money usually get a guide and are staying in there lodges, riding handle bar deep pow with no one around, not going in line with the other 700+sledders to Boulder.
It doesn't take a lot of money to buy a brand new sled and truck and roll into Boulder parking lot to show off what you got.
These are usually people pretending to have money. Not all but most. Is it a jealousy thing or what? I don't get it??

snowhunter

Reaction score
Was not referring to this pair in the money comment they just had no one to tell them different and they ended up having a rough day

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was not referring to this pair in the money comment they just had no one to tell them different and they ended up having a rough day

This is what I don't get? Then who were you referring too? None of this has anything to do with money or who has it.

Top Bottom