School me on turbos

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And JP I dont want to start a huge internet war but I am so sick of you telling us how awesome your sled is and challenging every single person to "come to revy I will spank you"You sound like a huge D bag. I am sure your sled goes good and you can ride it like no other but your sled is NOT the only one that works good. THis guy started a thread to ask advice not for you to challenge everyone here that runs boost. Stop acting like a stovepiper.

No problem... Guy wanted to know about turbos so I posted my thoughts witch I believe are pretty solid information.

But when another poster comes on and states false info then I feel he/she should be called out. right???

Hope I didn't ruin anyone's evening.

See you on the hills

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem... Guy wanted to know about turbos so I posted my thoughts witch I believe are pretty solid information.

But when another poster comes on and states false info then I feel he/she should be called out. right???

Hope I didn't ruin anyone's evening.

See you on the hills

There is no problem with a giving off some info from your prospective! I dont think anyone here would have a problem with that in the least. its when someone else gives there opinion and you think its wrong it turns into a big swinging D!*K compition. And as for calling people out maybe you should try the humble aproach and keep the thread for the purpose intended. I don't think anyones night is ruined it just gets frustrating when I come on S&M and see you challenging someone in almost every thread you post in. Now I am done hyjacking this thread as well thanks for understanding.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to...
image.jpg

Iceman56

Reaction score
My buddies ETec lasted a 120 miles with TSS turbo at 6psi before it threw a rod through the block destroying the whole motor... Just got it apart finally and the reeds are absolutely toast after 120 miles as well

How'd I do??.... Did I even make a dent?

Last edited by a moderator:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also take a look at the aerocharger, if your after 5lbs only, you could probally get away with straight pump fuel at 6500 feet and not look back, this is now my third year on one and they really have they kits dialed in, their new snow/air is the cats meow, and does not add 20 extra pounds or tie up the front heat exchanger like the tss kits with a lot less $$... would definatly try before you buy, good luck in your decision

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see it iceman, lmao,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would love to turbo etec I am just not convinced yet..........good luck

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was A turbo xm at the drags here it looked very Quick NO lag,but he also had a 1200 turbo and chose to race it cause he felt it was fast,but I watched close and to me the 800 look Quicker to me? .It was a Aero at 8 psi.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twin pipes= turbo? Well then...! What if a guy put twin pipes on a turbo? Lol

I don't have a turbo nor have plans for one on my XM(warranty). I also know very little about them so can anyone answer a few questions I have?

1- does the track spin faster? How much faster?

2- does it make the engine rev higher? How much if at all?

I'm not being a smartass, I really just don't know and need some schooling as well... Cheers!

3-

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iceman56 said:
My buddies ETec lasted a 120 miles with TSS turbo at 6psi before it threw a rod through the block destroying the whole motor... Just got it apart finally and the reeds are absolutely toast after 120 miles as well

How'd I do??.... Did I even make a dent?

Seems fishy... Got any more details? what type of Fuel was he running? What type of oil? Did he mess with the mapping or anything in the controller?

I know quite a few people who are running problem free for some extensive amount of miles. Perhaps he just had a dud of a motor? Thats why i rode mine for 200 km before i took it in. To make sure that everything was running up to snuff before I said goodbye to warranty.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't have a turbo nor have plans for one on my XM(warranty). I also know very little about them so can anyone answer a few questions I have?

I'm not being a smartass, I really just don't know and need some schooling as well... Cheers!

3-

Nope you might get some more track speed, but it wont be much, It will maintain track speed better though.

You're still going to want to be sitting at 7900 rpm +-100 rpm, But with how turbos work you do run the risk of accelerating your crank past the 7900 on a quick spool (i've done it a couple of times, nothing to worry about though.)

other than that its pretty much like a stock machine except with a hair dryer.

robhayward

Reaction score
I'll give you my sleds rough numbers. Stock Pro 155 camo 2.5 estimated track speed= 42-46mph. Silber kit running 8-9 lbs non intercooled 55 to maybe 60mph.
Engine does not rev higher based on clutching adjustments. Stiffer spring, heavier weights and different helix. All included in the average turbo kit.

Anyone with time enough to do their own maintenance should consider a turbo. If you're mechanically inclined enough to swap a track or change a pair of pistons then the learning curve/hiccups (or none) is worth the Turbo smile. : )

3-

PGlover

Reaction score
I'm running an M8 with a push turbo... all I can say is the size of my grin is always relative to the spool of the turbo! As the turbo spools, so do my smile! :D

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

3-

I always thought why not a small turbo on each pipe? Then it would be twin twin! Sorry about the high jack!

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

3-

Here's my attempt at answering your questions

1. You are making quite a bit more horsepower and experiencing less loss in HP due to elevation. This allows you to pull higher gearing up to a point where clutch efficiency becomes an issue and you start blowing belts. I've seen my track speeds between 60- 70 miles per hour depending on snow conditions.

2. It's not a good idea to ever get the engine reving higher. Typically most manufacturers try to safe guard from that with rev limiters and the crank acceleration sensors to keep things from flying apart. Although 120miles of bouncing off the rev limiter could have brought about the demise of Iceman's buddy's rod spitting e-tech.

Iceman56

Reaction score
Straight AV, recommended ski doo oil, this motor had over 300 miles from previous year... Yes we played with the fuel adjustment a lot, it would read real lean on the gauge 13-14+Afr, but not sure if the gauge was actually working correctly cause it would barely ever move much no matter what you did with the throttle. We were on the phone with Dave a ton and he was awesome to deal with and trying to help... IMO most people should have there turbo sled built tuned and setup by professional, problem is we're 25 hours away from TSS shop.
Preferences

§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the pin on a turbo for the XM.

I know I shouldn’t – but I rode one on the weekend. Even though it was not running great, when it pulled hard it was unbelievable.

And the guys I am riding monthly with are all on turbo Arctic Cats or Polaris. And I have to admit having the extra horsepower this weekend really made my life easier following their lines. I know I should be able to do it – just don’t have the skill to take a stocker up their lines. Yet.

I don’t want to give up the low end snap – as most of the riding I like doing is in the trees. Me and that XM are really starting to get along.

So I am thinking a TSS kit. Keep it at 5lbs boost. Talk me out of it.

Or else going to a Polaris and a pump gas kit. I hear they are easier.

How easy is it to get av gas in the Interior, Revelstoke, Golden and Valemount? I am just worried about running out?

Greg

Soooo... Lots of information!!

Now what are your thoughts of a turbo?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chris... watching yours our last trip out with stock skid and track, it was obvious to me you had a ton more track speed than the stockers had, don't you feel the same... or am I miss reading your quote
Nope you might get some more track speed, but it wont be much, It will maintain track speed better though.

You're still going to want to be sitting at 7900 rpm +-100 rpm, But with how turbos work you do run the risk of accelerating your crank past the 7900 on a quick spool (i've done it a couple of times, nothing to worry about though.)

other than that its pretty much like a stock machine except with a hair dryer.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
chris... watching yours our last trip out with stock skid and track, it was obvious to me you had a ton more track speed than the stockers had, don't you feel the same... or am I miss reading your quote

LOL- Hey Fred this is Chris. That's Marek.

As I said above I don't have a problem with the track speed of mine but I geared up for it too. I went as high as 23:51 but found the low end was sacrificed. I am currently gearing back to 21:51 which I ran for a little while in January that I'm sure I'll be happy with.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol. sorry chris, mixed up there... have you changed your track or skid yet, or still running stock stuff, and if so, has the tmotion been handling it ok
LOL- Hey Fred this is Chris. That's Marek.

As I said above I don't have a problem with the track speed of mine but I geared up for it too. I went as high as 23:51 but found the low end was sacrificed. I am currently gearing back to 21:51 which I ran for a little while in January that I'm sure I'll be happy with.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol. sorry chris, mixed up there... have you changed your track or skid yet, or still running stock stuff, and if so, has the tmotion been handling it ok

I've changed out the rear arm for a Racer's Edge arm. That's helped quite a bit but I'm pretty sure I'll go longer this summer, it's still a little hairy sometimes.

Top Bottom