sat phones

f7sp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok i posted back on sept 16 about sat phones, things were progressing, early season checklist/ backcountry awareness, about sattelite phones and rescue. not much talk about it as it is coming close to getting ready. i'd like to get this going again to see what everyone else seems to be doing to get prepared in case of an emergency in the backcountry.i ended up purchasing an iridium sat phone and have all contact #'s laminated on a sheet in my pack just in case. some think i'm a little over the edge in doing this but if you were ever lost in the backcountry its not a fun experience. wondering what everyone else is doing?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont think having a sat phone is over the top,I think if everyone would love to have one in there group,they have come down in price and the plans are affordable.The more stuff for saftey the better,GPS and a sat phone are a nice combo.
Think of how many people have a spot,they are operated by Globalstar

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking hard about picking up a Iridium 9555 phone. but 1300 bucks and then 250 a yr for minutes that possibly would never get used is a tough pill to swallow. yes there isn't a price on safety, but it is dam expensive. Im running a Spot for the time being

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking hard about picking up a Iridium 9555 phone. but 1300 bucks and then 250 a yr for minutes that possibly would never get used is a tough pill to swallow. yes there isn't a price on safety, but it is dam expensive. Im running a Spot for the time being

I am with Globalstar,$40.00 a month with unlimited usage with long distance charged on only overseas calls.They just put up 6 new satellites that has greatly improved satellite phone service.

farmerger

Reaction score
Besides the spot there is also the Delorme Inreach, very similar in function but paired with their gps or a smart phone is supposed to be able to send text messages. Have not tried one myself but looks like an interesting option and it be nice to relay text messages of what the nature of the emergency is. They are on the iridium satellites (I think) which are supposed to have (or had) better coverage than globalstar.

Jemeda11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use sat phones for work..Pain in the A$$ and dont always work. You need to dial a very long number to call it etc would feel better with the inreach. My opinion only.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Satelite phones are not cell phones,people use them and expect service like they were sitting in there living room,unfotunatly thats not the case,you will need patience and a bit of getting used to them.You send a message with your spot they rarely send immediatly,even they can take up to a half hour or more,you need satelites.A little patience and practise.I like the satisfaction of knowing you ave touched base with someone on the other end and your not hoping the message went,I have the first spot and have not seen the newer units.Spot is great and affordable dont get me wrong.I have one.The last of the new satelites for Globalstar are supposed to be launched in Feb.My Plan is 39,00 bucks a month unlimited minutes with a 50 sign up fee,cheaper than my cell phone.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Satelite phones are not cell phones,people use them and expect service like they were sitting in there living room,unfotunatly thats not the case,you will need patience and a bit of getting used to them.You send a message with your spot they rarely send immediatly,even they can take up to a half hour or more,you need satelites.A little patience and practise.I like the satisfaction of knowing you ave touched base with someone on the other end and your not hoping the message went,I have the first spot and have not seen the newer units.Spot is great and affordable dont get me wrong.I have one.The last of the new satelites for Globalstar are supposed to be launched in Feb.My Plan is 39,00 bucks a month unlimited minutes with a 50 sign up fee,cheaper than my cell phone.

I agree. Worst feeling is he feeling of not knowing. Sending a SOS via spot isn't as reassuring as having direct contact where you have a answer if help is on its way or what not. Maybe it's to dark or foggy for a chopper to take off and you have to spend the night and so on. I use my spot for contact with my wife to give her piece of mind. I will be buying when the budget fits.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this post I just checked out the Spot. Heard of it but never knew what it was all about. Purchase price for the Spot connect (To be usd together with your cell phone) $169.00 and $ 99.00 a year for the plan. Seems pretty reasonable...

Basic Service Plans

Top Bottom