Salesmen.... how do som of th m keep their jobs?

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Salesmen.... how do some of them keep their jobs?

While calling around and getting the lay of the land for snowchek prices I called a dealer just outside of town. Now I realize they may not have guys breaking down the doors to get prices so you don't know every detail that's going on but the basics would be good. Things like knowing you can get an upgraded gauge if you drop to 3 year warranty , that you can upgrade the shocks and knowing finance rates seem like something the sales guys should know, and know them off the top of their head, not reference their sheets or ask their sales manager. It would have saved us both time of he just told me to build it on the internet and that would be my cost plus tax and they'd be happy to take my down payment. Makes it an easy decision where not to put my money..... rant over

Last edited:

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably have more luck talking to a guy in person. If I was selling I give more time to the guy in front of me vs the guy calling around for prices. Just saying.

You don't think that this is stuff a guy should know about the product he's selling? Last sled I snowchecked it was over the phone and the guys at Stojans bent over backwards for me and answered everything without having to check with the sales manager about what's available with the snowcheck program. On the flip side, a different dealer in town wouldn't barely talk to me when I was in the dealer... maybe trying to buy a new sled just isn't my thing

Reactions: Dmf

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to discredit anything but it is not easy to know the ins and outs of up 30 different sleds, not to mention learning all the new dirtbikes and on road bikes to learn that could be up to another 100 units to memorize every add on and rates. as well as previous years bikes and sleds. to me it is pretty impressive that they know the basic specs of 100+ machines.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not to discredit anything but it is not easy to know the ins and outs of up 30 different sleds, not to mention learning all the new dirtbikes and on road bikes to learn that could be up to another 100 units to memorize every add on and rates. as well as previous years bikes and sleds. to me it is pretty impressive that they know the basic specs of 100+ machines.

That is their job.

I'm sure we all know the details of our own jobs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is their job.

I'm sure we all know the details of our own jobs!

I agree. To me that's the main part of their job is to learn and memorize the product they're selling. I get that there is a lot to learn but geez, that's their job. And I've also had the same experience as the OP. Unfortunately it seems more often then not they are unfamiliar with their product. I think one of the reasons for this is I've noticed a very high turnover rate at lots of dealerships. Might not be the case everywhere but just something I've noticed locally.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the opposite for me here on two separate occasions on two different brands. I purchased a quad just out of town because the dealer was friendlier and more open with information and dealings over the phone, store here wouldn't deal even after talking face to face. The same goes for my sled, I purchased it 1.5hrs out of town because of the local ego inflated dealership here in town.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm loyal to my money first and foremost. If I happen to build that relationship with a dealer and put the blinders on to every other product along the way so be it. Unbelievable how a guy can get flamed by some keyboard heros when he posts his experiences with dealers. There are obviously some guys in here that know there stuff inside and out, and if they sold what I was looking for at a competitive price then that's who'd be getting my money. But knowledge of the product your selling should be an expected thing to know

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not do your own research rather then take someone else's opinion on it. Pretty sure everyone is a expert now anyways so things pretty much sell themselves. Are the deals not the same from dealership to dealership? Sounds to me like you were either shopping for the best deal, witch I think in anyone's opinion is a good idea or, you were trying to test each other's knowledge on a product you know more about then them. That's just ego, not being a keyboard hero anymore then what sounds like your a telephone tire kicker. And salesman love them guys

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Product knowledge is the salesperson's job and some are better at it than others. As almost every bit of information is available on the internet, I think one should get personally informed. Phone calls are usually just a way to vet whether to drive to a dealer or not IMO.

The last sled I bought I tried real hard to buy at a certain dealer but no matter how hard I tried, just could not get the salesman to speak about the model I wanted to purchase equipped the way I wanted it. He wanted to "sell" me on something I was not looking for or interested in. I do not care for that type of salesman so I wound up at Martin's Edmonton. I walked in rather than phoning.

The purchase was a 20 minute transaction because I know WTF I was looking for and the pricing was better than I had expected.

Everybody has their own approach but I think you should get smart around the product and know what you are looking for. If you are using the phone, you might get the deal done on the phone but be prepared to go to the dealer. Don't expect anybody to give their "best price" over the phone. Why would they? So you can use that to beat someone else down and then come back demanding to match someone else's deal?

So I hold salesman who are trying to sell me something I don't want and buyers who endlessly negotiate over nothing in equal (low) esteem.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Salesmen.... how do some of them keep their jobs?

While calling around and getting the lay of the land for snowchek prices I called a dealer just outside of town. Now I realize they may not have guys breaking down the doors to get prices so you don't know every detail that's going on but the basics would be good. Things like knowing you can get an upgraded gauge if you drop to 3 year warranty , that you can upgrade the shocks and knowing finance rates seem like something the sales guys should know, and know them off the top of their head, not reference their sheets or ask their sales manager. It would have saved us both time of he just told me to build it on the internet and that would be my cost plus tax and they'd be happy to take my down payment. Makes it an easy decision where not to put my money..... rant over

If I'm talking to a salesman who has that title on his name sticker, and he tells me he has to go talk to someone else about price, specs, features or available options , I'll be asking him to step aside and let me talk to whoever he's gonna go ask. If you don't know the product you're attempting to sell, why the hell would you expect to get a commission.

geo

Reaction score
Times and expectations sure have changed eh. Sometimes I wonder how far it will go.

When I was a little kid I saved for two summers to get my first bike. I wanted a CZ bad. The bike shop did Triumph and Harley but dirt bikes were fun sometimes too for those guys. I took the bus.
I walked in the door with a wad in my pocket (no financing, or credit card, or checks for toys back then) and looked at the bike for a while but nobody around. Went out back and found everyone sitting around drinking beer.
One old guy said "Wadda you want!?" I think I want to buy that red dirt bike. "You got money"? I patted my pocket. He said "Fawk" and spit at my shoes but got up and brushed past me towards the front.
Once beside the bike I asked how much. He said 500 bucks. I said I only got 465 (I lied). He said "Good for you. It's still 500 bucks.".
Then playing the smart shopper I talked technical. Does that include a helmet? "You want the fawking bike or not!?" Still trying to play the smart guy I asked does it have any warranty? That got him going finally. "You want warranty!? Here's your fawking warranty." and he opened the front door and pointed at his boot.

Well I got sceered then, pulled out the wad and handed it to him. He didn't even count it just said "Well, get it out of here then" and shoved it in his pocket. I hefted the bike around and pushed it out the open door and immediately after the back tire was out,,, he locked the door behind me and went back to doing more important stuff. I turned to say bye but it was too late.

I pushed it home for the 4 and 1/2 miles (cause it had no gas and I got no cash) and was totally pleased with my first dirt bike purchase experience. Times have changed eh.

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its snow check time, probably should be up to date on product knowledge or have it right in front of you to reference

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Times and expectations sure have changed eh. Sometimes I wonder how far it will go.

When I was a little kid I saved for two summers to get my first bike. I wanted a CZ bad. The bike shop did Triumph and Harley but dirt bikes were fun sometimes too for those guys. I took the bus.
I walked in the door with a wad in my pocket (no financing, or credit card, or checks for toys back then) and looked at the bike for a while but nobody around. Went out back and found everyone sitting around drinking beer.
One old guy said "Wadda you want!?" I think I want to buy that red dirt bike. "You got money"? I patted my pocket. He said "Fawk" and spit at my shoes but got up and brushed past me towards the front.
Once beside the bike I asked how much. He said 500 bucks. I said I only got 465 (I lied). He said "Good for you. It's still 500 bucks.".
Then playing the smart shopper I talked technical. Does that include a helmet? "You want the fawking bike or not!?" Still trying to play the smart guy I asked does it have any warranty? That got him going finally. "You want warranty!? Here's your fawking warranty." and he opened the front door and pointed at his boot.

Well I got sceered then, pulled out the wad and handed it to him. He didn't even count it just said "Well, get it out of here then" and shoved it in his pocket. I hefted the bike around and pushed it out the open door and immediately after the back tire was out,,, he locked the door behind me and went back to doing more important stuff. I turned to say bye but it was too late.

I pushed it home for the 4 and 1/2 miles (cause it had no gas and I got no cash) and was totally pleased with my first dirt bike purchase experience. Times have changed eh.

Lol I got attitude like that from a Doo dealer when I asked for a snow check price once...noticed he isn't a doo dealer any more

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm loyal to my money first and foremost. If I happen to build that relationship with a dealer and put the blinders on to every other product along the way so be it. Unbelievable how a guy can get flamed by some keyboard heros when he posts his experiences with dealers. There are obviously some guys in here that know there stuff inside and out, and if they sold what I was looking for at a competitive price then that's who'd be getting my money. But knowledge of the product your selling should be an expected thing to know

Are you saying I am flaming you and that Im a keyboard hero?

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Must be nice to have a jOb where you need only know some of it... I think that's a cheap load of horse&@it statement. I personally know sales people that can tell you everything about the new lineup. Do you know why? Because they give a crap about their job, are good at it and they work their ass off to do it!!!!! That's a lame cop out statement and we both know it. Someone who has a job should strive to do it to the highest level they can and never think that they shouldn't. Maybe that mentality is going by the wayside but not with me! The amount of information that I need to know to do my job amazes me! I am far from a genius and I work with people far far smarter than I however I am not afraid to spend the time to read, listen and learn as much as I can each and every day. You want to know why? Because I give a *#it!!!! Someone who wants the job will learn the job and never stop till they are the best. I know people in sales that get business just because they invest so much time into knowing as much as they can and they do not starve or see a check each month that they aren't proud of or didn't bust their ass for. When times are good people honk to to sales, but it's when we re in the economy that we are where the true sales people survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom