Rv antifreeze issues

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Antifreeze back washing into the fresh water holding tank no more. Blow the lines out and only put the antifreeze down the drains, cheaper and safer
I pull the supply line from the fresh water tank off at the pump and use a separate supply hose right into an antifreeze jug. No possible way for antifreeze to contaminate my fresh water tanks. Done it this way for years in 3 different units with no issues.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen the picture of a frozen jug right from the store. So it must have been a bad batch I'm thinking, because nothing was added to the jug.
Are you sure the photo wasn't a jug of summer windshield washer fluid? lol...I almost made that mistake once while winterizing my old camper. just saw the jug with pink fluid on the garage shelf and headed to the camper. Could have been bad.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
lack of teflon tape ?

Your guess is as good as mine haha

If it doesn’t expand how can it wreck lines I wonder. Anybody know?
I should have added "allegedly" . Could have been a bad batch. Could have been a mix up like TEEBAY suggested. Lots of different "couldhaves".

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull the supply line from the fresh water tank off at the pump and use a separate supply hose right into an antifreeze jug. No possible way for antifreeze to contaminate my fresh water tanks. Done it this way for years in 3 different units with no issues.
Why would you put antifreeze in your water lines anyway? If you blow them out it can got to 80 below and still no burst lines and no antifreeze smell either, not to mention the saved dollars.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you put antifreeze in your water lines anyway? If you blow them out it can got to 80 below and still no burst lines and no antifreeze smell either, not to mention the saved dollars.

Kinda tough for some people to use air, I winterize mine at the storage spot, no compressor and I’m sure as hell not packing an air compressor down there and a generator to plug it into just to winterize. I use about 12-15 litres of antifreeze and flush everything really well and send lots down the drains as well as use a separate hose from water supply, never have an issue. Air can cause lots of problems if not done right, pretty hard to screw up antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air doesn't freeze so not sure why after blowing the lines out, one would then fill it back up with antifreeze?

Can you guarantee you got every drop of water out of the lines? Not all RVs are created equal, mine has a pile of low spots that would pool water and freeze if the water is not completely removed.

Plus it doesn't remove the water from the traps, antifreeze will push it out.

An extra half hour of time and a jug of antifreeze is cheap. Trying to fix cracked plumbing when you have time booked off and want to go camping sucks.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there done that with the antifreeze, I used to buy -50 larger 10 liter jugs, switched to air 4 years back, i am never going back. But most people stick with what they are familiar with.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the photo wasn't a jug of summer windshield washer fluid? lol...I almost made that mistake once while winterizing my old camper. just saw the jug with pink fluid on the garage shelf and headed to the camper. Could have been bad.

Lol no, it was antifreeze. I guess it wouldn't be hard to make that mistake though!

Kyle89

Reaction score
Can you guarantee you got every drop of water out of the lines? Not all RVs are created equal, mine has a pile of low spots that would pool water and freeze if the water is not completely removed.

Plus it doesn't remove the water from the traps, antifreeze will push it out.

An extra half hour of time and a jug of antifreeze is cheap. Trying to fix cracked plumbing when you have time booked off and want to go camping sucks.
Been blowing out lines for years no issues. Lines only crack when ice expands and has no where to go( line not bled). Having some residual water freeze is not gonna blow your a line

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I run RV antifreeze through my 2007 35' Fifth wheel and have never had any issues, always run 3 - 12 L Jugs through until its coming out fluent pink. Then pour enough in traps and toilet to flush all water out, and put an extra 4L jug in toilet so it goes in tank as well. Never had an issue yet, very easy to flush in the spring. The hot water tank is drained.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Ya. You must have got a bad batch. How much was in there? I usually just leave enough to keep the rubber from drying out. Max an inch in bottom of toilet. So

Even if it froze it shouldn't hurt anything.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like this batch of RV anti-freeze was just pink coloured water. I blow my lines out. Haven’t used the pink stuff in 5 years now.
If this truly is a bad batch, I see a class action lawsuit coming against the manufacturer. But if it’s from CT, how hard is it to sue a Chinese company

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RV antifreeze freezes but only to a slushy consistency. The key is when winterizing is to open the low point drains. Most people don’t do this step…

If u still had water in the lines due to not draining the low points it’s going to mix with the antifreeze and be more susceptible to a harder/ higher expanding freeze point….you should also leave your fresh water drain open to allow any residual water to come out over the winter….

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya. You must have got a bad batch. How much was in there? I usually just leave enough to keep the rubber from drying out. Max an inch in bottom of toilet. So
the antifreeze is still in the lines at the toilet and could have burst not the actual toilet bowl

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last 2 trailers I've had , blow the lines out with air

Chubby valve stem , take the city water seal-filter out and stuff it in there

Portable air tank and bobs your uncle

Never even take the line off the pump , just run the pump the hole time ( with tank empty of course ) and blow the air , with low point drain being the last blown

Leave all the taps open too

That's the key to not having some leaks from taps after the winter

I use washer fluid down the pee traps

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Top Bottom