Mice in 5th wheel!!

PJ440x

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm just looking for some advise here. We cleaned our 5th wheel out pretty well last fall but did leave some things behind that may have made an odd snack for mice. It seems the RV storage place (Surrounded with tall grass) where I keep the 5th wheel along with quite a few buddies is infested with mice.

I've caught a few and have two different styles of traps, bounty sheets and Fresh Cab. I can't see how they are getting in but I see them running around in the field when I've been down there. I know a bunch of RV's are having the same issues down there. For the last week I have removed it from that Storage Area and have it parked on the street in front of my place with the truck still hooked up.

I've bought steel wool as well as Foam insulation. What else can I do?? I don't want to bring it back down there....:confused:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
use bounce drier sheets apparently they hate the smell and it works too! Been using them for several years now

Hey Guys,

I'm just looking for some advise here. We cleaned our 5th wheel out pretty well last fall but did leave some things behind that may have made an odd snack for mice. It seems the RV storage place (Surrounded with tall grass) where I keep the 5th wheel along with quite a few buddies is infested with mice.

I've caught a few and have two different styles of traps, bounty sheets and Fresh Cab. I can't see how they are getting in but I see them running around in the field when I've been down there. I know a bunch of RV's are having the same issues down there. For the last week I have removed it from that Storage Area and have it parked on the street in front of my place with the truck still hooked up.

I've bought steel wool as well as Foam insulation. What else can I do?? I don't want to bring it back down there....:confused:

PJ440x

Reaction score
use bounce drier sheets apparently they hate the smell and it works too! Been using them for several years now

I did use bounce drier sheets but I said Bounty Sheet in my post. I'm half asleep here lol. I guess I should have used more. My buddy had a bunch of bounce sheets in his and still caught a bunch.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
X2 We've had really good luck with bounce.
The biggest thing is not letting them in the trailer in the first place.Traps,bait,etc. should all be OUTSIDE the trailer. You would think an RV storage facility would have some kind of rodent control system cause this is really bad for business.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
And ,like you mentioned in your original post.FOOD. Don't leave anything they think is tasty in the trailer.They love cereal,dog food, and other dry goods people think are fine to leave in RV over the winter.

PJ440x

Reaction score
And ,like you mentioned in your original post.FOOD. Don't leave anything they think is tasty in the trailer.They love cereal,dog food, and other dry goods people think are fine to leave in RV over the winter.

No food left in there. We missed a case of POP (Sprite) that was missed which Obviously busted and left a sugary mess. Also I agree with Mice being bad for business but they don't seem to be doing anything about it or at least enough about it because I know several Rv's that are having the same issues and it's not their first RV BBQ if you know what I mean.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used peppermint oil soaked cotton balls.

Worked perfect.

Also no food at all left behind

spuds

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
moth balls, the new ones don't seem to be as bad of odour
also there are bear in the area where our trailer is stored so no food odours and might not be smart to put bait traps outside trailer so my peanut butter loaded traps are all inside

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
expanding foam with "bitters" in it around any opening you can see, don't put the stabilizer jacks down all the way (climb up point), Irish spring soap bars in ours, I've never had mice, but I also haven't gone digging in it this year as of yet.

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used bounce sheets before in previous trailers and still ended up with evidence of mice being in there over the winter. Like Tyler said, Irish Spring soap bars. I put one near any place they may enter and so far so good through three winters in our new trailer. The biggest thing is removing anything that might smell and attract them though. This includes toiletries like toothpaste as well.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have always parked our trailer on a course gravel pad and never had mice, neighbour parked his at a farmers place in the grass and it was crawling with mice last spring what a mess to clean up and the smell.it didn't help that he parked it next to a grain bin so they had the best of both worlds

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have always parked our trailer on a course gravel pad and never had mice, neighbour parked his at a farmers place in the grass and it was crawling with mice last spring what a mess to clean up and the smell.it didn't help that he parked it next to a grain bin so they had the best of both worlds

Large coarse gravel is ideal the little bastards can't traverse the terrain..Middle of the RV storage is better than perimeter also, steel wool or spray foam to seal any openings, bounce sheets really help scattered everywhere, and battery powered ultrasonic pest repellers do work incredible but... you have to move them every month or so or they loose effectiveness. As mentioned anything that is low that can be used as a access point like jacks or stairs etc try to raise them as high as possible and what you can't surround with moth balls.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plug any holes in the bottom of the fabric wrap underneath the trailer with steel wool

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
In Manitoba it would likely be a write off, what does your insurance company say?

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome

Deer mouse (Peromyscus maniculatus), Cotton rat (Sigmodon Hispidus), Rice rat (Oryzomys palustris), White-footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus)
Agent

Virus
Where the disease occurs

Throughout most of North and South America
How the disease spreads

• Breathing in dust that is contaminated with rodent urine or droppings
  • Direct contact with rodents or their urine and droppings
  • Bite wounds, although this does not happen frequently

Last edited:

johnnytrail

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always sprinkled peppermint Oil liberally around the inside of my trailer . never had a single mouse and always stored in a grassy field

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Irish spring soap bars and bounce sheets did not work in our trailer.
I've sealed it the best we could underneath with can of expanding foam, still one SOB got in. That sucker met one of my traps though :)

mbmb

Reaction score
Ive done pretty much what everyone has done and in 30 years of RVing and storing it in a Quonset with Farm equipment I only had mice in once, that was the year I forgot to lay down a plastic sheet on the sand to place the wheels on. An old farmer told me that mice wont walk on plastic as it stops them making a fast getaway. Not sure if that's true but the one year I forgot the buggers climbed the wheels and got in.

Top Bottom