Rural water around Bragg Creek

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just outside Bragg Creek has a cistern, then they put a well in a couple years ago mainly to get away from the water trucking fees. The well has great volume but very poor quality despite the filtering system that is installed. For cooking/drinking/cleaning they've been getting by purchasing bottled water jugs but its a PITA and expensive. So if they go back to fresh water in the cistern is the only option to pay trucking fees? Around Edmonton I see lots of folks with plastic water tanks on trailers which I assume they are filling at stations for a reasonable fee. I don't see this so much around Calgary though. Any comments or recommendations?

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy just outside Bragg Creek has a cistern, then they put a well in a couple years ago mainly to get away from the water trucking fees. The well has great volume but very poor quality despite the filtering system that is installed. For cooking/drinking/cleaning they've been getting by purchasing bottled water jugs but its a PITA and expensive. So if they go back to fresh water in the cistern is the only option to pay trucking fees? Around Edmonton I see lots of folks with plastic water tanks on trailers which I assume they are filling at stations for a reasonable fee. I don't see this so much around Calgary though. Any comments or recommendations?

It really depends on the size of the cistern to be honest. I don’t know anyone that trucks water in honestly. All my friends including my parents have tanks on a trailer or a way to haul there own water
Are they presently using the cistern as a holding tank for the well?

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I fill up at one of the sturgeon County fill stations and it costs about $100 for 30,000 litres roughly if I remember correctly. We only use the city water for watering the garden and my wife's 300+ flowers. What kind of water filter system do they have? I've got a chlorination system then to a softener and finally to an RO system and it works great for drinking water. I don't know if I could go back to drinking straight city water it tastes terrible.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the size of the cistern to be honest. I don’t know anyone that trucks water in honestly. All my friends including my parents have tanks on a trailer or a way to haul there own water
Are they presently using the cistern as a holding tank for the well?

I'll find the volume, it's pretty big concrete tank.

If I fill up at one of the sturgeon County fill stations and it costs about $100 for 30,000 litres roughly if I remember correctly. We only use the city water for watering the garden and my wife's 300+ flowers. What kind of water filter system do they have? I've got a chlorination system then to a softener and finally to an RO system and it works great for drinking water. I don't know if I could go back to drinking straight city water it tastes terrible.

I think they have a filter and softener but no R/O or chlorination. Could be wrong but will get more details. To be honest and due respect they're not the best at keeping a high-maintenance water filtration system functioning to the point it can supply drinking and cooking water. They need to re-commission the cistern on fresh water and keep the well for outside use.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so what they need to do is get a water test and confirm what the issue is. Could be many, iron, calcium and on and on. Then they need to do the math on a treatment system to deal with the water volume that they use to get to their acceptable standards. I think Teth-air is a water guy.. At this point its all economics.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the points above, long term they need to get their well water treatment figured out.

I should have been more clear in my question: are there rural fill stations around Bragg Creek and what is the approx cost/liter? I think they're getting "hosed" a bit on truck delivery lol

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just as a reference my water is trucked at $150 for 15m3. 1 load per month my neighbor has a well and has a lab in his basement to get the water right, depending on well inflow he may have have a cistern going anyways. Its all dependent on like you mentioned trucking and water cost. I need good water for my business so I am content with trucking costs. I have done the math and to do it properly I am sure that I could not truck it legally for the cost of having it delivered in my area.

Top Bottom