Royal Purple caused engine failure

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've actually repaired motors that the oil actually cause the rings to fail. In several sleds and in one drag car one summer.
Compression failure, i ended up boring out the cylinders. All with synthetic. So to say all oils are equal, you haven't been a builder long enough.
Its a very expensive repair, generally the cylinder's need boring out.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Dealer can not deny warranty because of oil as long as the oil you run meets the specications set out by manufacturer.
if you have to run manufacturers oil for warranty they have to supply the oil. No dealer auto,heavy equipment or recreation will ever tell you that. There is a big difference between recommend and mandatory.
If only it worked that way. John Deere's warranty on all combines states that the john Deere agricultural grease must be used or the warranty is void. Even on work done by Deere. so now we run john Deere grease on all equipment because it's the same price as what we were using before and we actually found it works better too.

Stickyfingers

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ran amsoil dominator in every sled, bike, atv I have owned for the last 7 years. I have never had a fail from oil. I also have never noticed heavy carbon buildup. their is a reason why amsoil is popular in the racing world. Because it works great. Saying coop oil is better then amsoil sounds like fas gas fuel is better then shell fuel.

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i purchase a new sled, the dealer makes me sign a waiver saying, if you don't use doo oil your warranty is void on the engine.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'll be sticking with ski doo oil now, I hate when my sleds down, dealers been great though, said I'll be going by mid next week again. Just in time for the long weekend.:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer can not deny warranty because of oil as long as the oil you run meets the specications set out by manufacturer.
if you have to run manufacturers oil for warranty they have to supply the oil. No dealer auto,heavy equipment or recreation will ever tell you that. There is a big difference between recommend and mandatory.

lol it's not sae 10w40.
If the manufacturer recommends doo semi or full synthetic and you put in another brand how are you going to argue that?? "But a guy on snow and mud said I could"

It's not like the days when TCW-3 was the recommended two stroke oil.
Mineral oil is a better oil for break in anyway.

To each his own, it's your sled run whatever yah want for oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i purchase a new sled, the dealer makes me sign a waiver saying, if you don't use doo oil your warranty is void on the engine.

You must buy from pines lol. I wouldn't buy a wheel barrow from them!! Like others have said as long as your oil meets manufacturer specs it's fine. Don't know anyone who buys from pines anymore they are to hard to deal with.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since this has gone off the rails...

How much are you guys saving per winter by using anything but the manufacturers recommended oil? If you are buying lets say CoOp, or Amsoil vs Doo XPS, how much do you save per winter?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coop xls synthetic is 38 bucks for a 5l if u buy it by the case in b. c
So 7.60 a litre
Think it's 60 to 70 ish for doo xps for a 4l in b.c, and 15 to 16 bucks a l

And 3-4 machines now, it's close to half

sent while drinking tea's

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coop xls synthetic is 38 bucks for a 5l if u buy it by the case in b. c
So 7.60 a litre
Think it's 60 to 70 ish for doo xps for a 4l in b.c, and 15 to 16 bucks a l

And 3-4 machines now, it's close to half

Okay lets be real though...you use how much oil in a season in the second sled? A jug? Okay lets say 8 litres max. you saved what $50? Then on your main sled, how many jugs? 8? 10? Likely not that many on average. But call it 32 liters. so $250 vs $500ish just swagging numbers really but you said half. So from November to May, (7 months riding) you saved $300? Or $42 a month.

I'd rather spend that $42 on oil recommended for my sled and not have the potential to argue a warranty case down the road due to an oil related failure, and instead of steak at Zalas I will have the Lasagna. Sure other oils may meet the equivalent specifications as set by the manufacturer but I am not a chemist, a petroleum engineer, or viscus fluid nerd so I won't pretend to be one. I do buy my VES gold in bulk so at $45 its not a huge savings to run something like CoOp Sonic. I will say many people who run the Sonic have had good things to say when comparing it to the XPS when tearing down motors.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use about 2 cases ( 8 - 5l jugs) a year now ( normal year) with 3 sleds on the snow

So it adds up

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

If I had a dealer do that, I'd be walking. Talk about scare tactics or intimidation? That just gets me started on other warranty items. It would be a battle and it appears that the dealer is not on your side and doesn't care about return business. I'm an independent cuss and I'd be driving to another dealer no matter what the distance/cost.

We have seen this many times before; it is the dealer that make the service work and this just wouldn't work for me.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
This is the first year I have used Doo oil. I thought it prudent with the new motor being it's first year on the snow. Danny (takethebounce) is right in that the savings aren't that huge and if something happens it is a no brainer and the dealer hasn't got a leg to stand on. Not that my dealer wouldn't go to bat for me but on the eastern end, what would BRP doo????

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So there is no form to sign anymore about the oil. Last two etecs I bought new had that in the docs when your signing the final paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordeggab

Reaction score
I have 4 800 summits and just bought a barrel of amsoil so we will see in a year or two.

Top Bottom