Royal Purple caused engine failure

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer and was told that because I'm running royal purple oil that is what caused my xm 800 to have very low compression. Just wondering if anyone else runs it and have had any issues with it? I guess maybe doo oil has different additives.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Coop xls synthetic 2 cycle oil and my dealer when pistons done at 5000 km and crank at 8000 km, said looks just like doo oil in cases, stuffing e.c.t

I used brp oil till break in done, then Coop all after

I have heard guys with issues using Am's oil 2 cycle before yes

sent while drinking tea's

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I just got back from the dealer and was told that because I'm running royal purple oil that is what caused my xm 800 to have very low compression. Just wondering if anyone else runs it and have had any issues with it? I guess maybe doo oil has different additives.
Dealer is just trying to get you to buy their oil. Royal Purple is a very well developed oil. If anything then the oil pump up. Two stroke oil is two stroke oil. But so far the best I have found is the Arctic Cat APV Sythetic. But was debating on trying ipone strawberry in my two stroke boat this summer.

You had engine failure while running Royal Purple, hard to say it was 100% the oils fault.

i have also heard about the amsoil two stroke causing severe carbon build up.

I will always add extra oil oil to my fuel rather then try to skimp on it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the Magnuson - moss act ( or one like it for oil and filters e.c.t) cover 2 cycle oils used??

There is one for vehicles in which as long as they can prove it to be a cause, they can't denied warranty claims

Then you would have to go back on the oil supplier

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what happened, carbon build up on top of the piston and around the sides of the piston rings causing blow by. Said the rave valves were clean as a whistle. I guess I just figured a brand like royal purple wouldn't hurt the motor, ran it since day one, guess I'll switch to the doo oil.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first post, the assumption would be they said no warranty

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maguson-moss act is a US act, royal purple oil is snake oil! Causes more harm than good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I know, bit isn't there one like it for Canada??

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo synthetic or Ipone. 10,000 Kms on my buddies who only ever ran doo syn and 7400 on mine when I sold it with Ipone oil. Ipone got crazy expensive at 60 per jug though. Run it in buddies m8 also. 3 years now and great. No carbon on raves, nice sticky film on internals. Heard good about coop and mystic but no personal experience. Took an 860 apart a couple years ago that ran royal purple. You'd swear varsol was ran through the engine it was that clean with zero signs of lube. Switched him to Ipone and he's over 3000 kms now problem free.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I know, bit isn't there one like it for Canada??

Nope the dealer or manuf has the right to void the warranty if they feel the OEM design has been altered in Canada. There is a nice sticker on your oil tank telling you what oil is recommended and I remember signing a document about what oil was to be run in The etec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

driller

Reaction score
Dealer can not deny warranty because of oil as long as the oil you run meets the specications set out by manufacturer.
if you have to run manufacturers oil for warranty they have to supply the oil. No dealer auto,heavy equipment or recreation will ever tell you that. There is a big difference between recommend and mandatory.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's what I thought, if you have to run a certain thing Only, then they have to supply it

Top Bottom