Rhino 660 / Gorilla axles

tayco

Reaction score
Website
www.taycowelding.ca
Hi all, I have 06 660 Rhino, I just threw in some new Gorilla axles and had a heck of a time putting them in. They are now in correct and were running fine but when I put it on the lift the L/S tire was harder to spin than the R/F front was. I removed the L/F axle to inspect and the inner nuckle is quite hard to turn and outer rotates with ease. I have removed the boot and inspected it and all the rollers look fine and i'm at a loss why it is so tight. Anyone have these axles in there machine and had trouble with them? They are stock length as I have no lift kit, and about 100k on the new axles. Thanks.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lets see if I understand you, you say after pulling the axle off, the inboard cv assembly is stiffer than the outboard one?

If it is I say you have cup galling or the cv wasn't manufactured properly. I have heard in some cases that gorilla quality control isn't that spectacular. I have no need for upgraded axles so this information is all I can supply.

tayco

Reaction score
Website
www.taycowelding.ca
ya, the inner is really tight and i'm sure it is robbing some hp. What do you mean by galling? It feels like the outer cup is quite snug on the rollers when you move it around, could be just tight and needs to be run a little more to losen up but I plan on pulling it apart in the morning to have a good look. Thanks.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Galling by making grooves in the cup.

CV shouldn't be tight, I am leading towards a faulty cv from the start. Was it like this before you installed?

tayco

Reaction score
Website
www.taycowelding.ca
Can't really say, I didn't check them before I put them in. Still have not had a chance to clean it up and have a good look yet but looks like i'll get at it Monday morning.

Top Bottom