Revelstoke area updates 2017/18

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
High is above considerable. Considerable is still dangerous. So high to me would be stay of any slope 30 degrees or more. Even in the trees. Be safe all. I'm off to the hills today to ride the meadows and come home safe.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good advice I can give this weekend is to stay on low angle supported slopes and always make sure your riding buddies have an eye on you and you on them. Slopes that you don't think would slide will this weekend and even the smallest slopes can kill or injure. Been out all week and I've personally never seen so many avalanches. Big and small.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considerable is probably more dangerous as mass people will still make silly decisions but rather stay home when it's high because it's "too dangerous"

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trying to get some facts here, we don't need fake news avy reports now. Conditions are high not extreme (black). Keep it low angle, watch above you, no high marking. Tons of fun in the meadows, low angle trees etc.

If guys don't check the app or conditions before they ride, I don't think a warning on here is going to help them either.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Jsymes gave a pretty good honest avy report. From what I seen there just after xmas and recent tests pits dug today and posted online, Id say hes pretty accurate.

AvalancheCanada also released a public avalanche warning as well.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out the past couple days, avy conditions are definty ligit, no matter what verbiage avalanche Canada is using.

Set off some size one slabs on mellow terrain. Seen lots of naturals.

Parked in the trees and as friends pulled up you could feel the snow settle and shift.

Snow was awesome so it was super temping to push the envelope.

But we burnt all our fuel safely.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conditions are going to vary a lot depending on where you are. 2 days ago at chit your pants creek, was really setchy.
Every somewhat steep slope was sliding (human triggered).

Today at Boulder I couldn't get anything to slide, but doesn't mean it couldn't.
Lots of safe places to ride, but play conservative forsure.

Today (and no I wasn't riding by myself)

bnm,.jpg

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the on hill report son and I coming out this weekend, looks sketchy by av Canada reports, might have to stick to safer areas on boulder.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the on hill report son and I coming out this weekend, looks sketchy by av Canada reports, might have to stick to safer areas on boulder.

Yeah if you just want to get out and burn some gas you'LL
Be ok. Snow is deep right now

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three rescues on Boulder - one yesterday and two this morning by helicopter longline due to avalanche conditions , story in Revelstoke Current

rodney1960

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By Staff Sergeant Kurt Grabinsky,
On January 11th, 2018, Revelstoke Search and Rescue (Rev-SAR) located one male sledder stuck and lost on Boulder Mountain. Although the search was suspended overnight due to avalanche conditions, two other overdue snowmobilers were located at 8 am Friday, January 12th, 2018.
On Thursday January 11th, 2018 at approximately 3:30 pm, the Revelstoke RCMP received a 911 call of a male sledding on Boulder Mountain who was stuck and lost. The male was sledding with two others, but he could not locate them either. Revelstoke RCMP activated Revelstoke Search and Rescue.
Revelstoke Search and Rescue deployed to commence their search on Boulder Mountain and at approximately 7:30 pm were able to locate the first missing male, age 33. The two other males were not located. Revelstoke SAR suspended the search overnight due to the High avalanche conditions.
At approximately 7:30 am on Friday January 12th, 2018 the Revelstoke SAR team commenced their land and air search. At 8 am that day, Revelstoke SAR were successful in locating the two other males, ages 39 and 51. Both males were from Alberta. Rev-SAR utilized a local helicopter to long-line remove the males from the mountain due to High avalanche conditions and medical concerns. All three missing males are in good health.
The RCMP recommend that all users of the back country or recreational areas carry the proper supplies for their activity; including preparations for overnight stays. Emergency equipment such as avalanche beacons, probes and shovels are essential. Furthermore, taking the Avalanche Safety Training Level 1 is a wise investment in time and money to make these ventures safe and enjoyable.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they were found safely. We rode Frisby two days because of the closure on Boulder and had great conditions. Some observations we saw throughout those 2 days of riding. After signing in at the cabin we noted probably close to 30 sleds that just blew by the cabin with out signing in? This on the same day SAR were looking for lost sledder's on Boulder. Unfortunately no one will come and look for you if they don't know you are on the hill. Also saw a lot of tracks in the closure areas. Did not see any sleds down there but we all know tracks are proof to the haters that we were there at some point. Use your heads guys. A lot of good people are fighting hard to keep this area open and you aren't helping the fight any if you are one of the people that made those tracks. We rode well past the dildo and played down to the right and the left in pristine snow. A good 2 ft in most areas with a little deeper pow down in the trees. Seem's like the snow is less the farther back you go though. Saw only one slide aftermath. A huge fracture on a steep portion above the lake that appeared to be set off by sledder's that had rode just above it. Other than that we never saw any concerns of any kind and stayed on mellow terrain to be safe. Grooming was exceptional with grooming well beyond the trail end and ridge into the alpine. Cold on the trail going up and down but weather was nice back in the alpine. Great trip!

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode sat sun at boulder, great day today valley cloud got above it just past cabin, blue sky day. A lot I mean a lot of sleds on the hill she's 80% pounded, seems most are staying off real sketchy stuff as there were some steep faces that had slid. While helping dig out a flat ground stuck it was fairly easy to find a couple hoar frost layers. No one touched turbo thankfully. Lots of area was 1-2ft fresh, was able to burn a full tank, clipped a couple broken off trees so a few land mines still lurking.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
.......personally a paintball gun would give me a lot of satisfaction some days. It is really disappointing when you know the people who have spent a lot of time on a volunteer basis to keep some areas on the mtns. with closures still open for us all to ride. Some of them clocking up to 30 yrs. and when you have an idea of just how many tens of thousands of $`s the club has spent on printed material, signs, attending meetings and snow patrol expenses to name a few.
How do you make everyone get it? Closures have been in affect 2 wks and compliance might have lasted a wk.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.......personally a paintball gun would give me a lot of satisfaction some days. It is really disappointing when you know the people who have spent a lot of time on a volunteer basis to keep some areas on the mtns. with closures still open for us all to ride. Some of them clocking up to 30 yrs. and when you have an idea of just how many tens of thousands of $`s the club has spent on printed material, signs, attending meetings and snow patrol expenses to name a few.
How do you make everyone get it? Closures have been in affect 2 wks and compliance might have lasted a wk.
I've said many times on this site that we are our own worst enemies in this sport Kathy. I believe there are a lot of great folks in this sport that do their best to be great stewards to the sport but there is also a contingent of the "me" generation that feel rules don't apply to them. Its like this in all facets of life including politics but then that is a subject we don't want to get started on. Keep up the hard fight. Those of us that care appreciate it!

Top Bottom