Rev Rebuild Parts

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why a whole new short block? A crank is $700 minus your crank return $200 and pistons are $600 (BRP) $500 (RKT) and if you take your motor out and take it to mountain magic, its like $300 to get your old crank out and the new one in. So somewhere in the area of $1300-1400 and your done or $2200 for a short block. That is unless i am out to lunch on a short block price. What kind of exchange do they give you for your old motor?

I'm getting a sweet deal on the short block so its a no brainer for me. Hopefully pick my new motor up tommorrow as mine is sitting on the garage floor now. If i remember i thought he said $400 for a core charge if it's in decent shape which i will qualify for as mine is a running engine. I took a few pics as i went along i'll try to post later tonight. Gotta head back out to the garage to strip the parts off my motor before taking it in tommorra.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics thus far, hopefully p/u my motor this afternoon.

Attachments

• 2 002.jpg
    2 002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 2 004.jpg
    2 004.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 2 008.jpg
    2 008.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 129

toml

Reaction score
Showtime, that piston looks like an over heat, do the scars on the piston run bottom up? As for new pistons, I'd use doo pistons, and run single ring. IMO worth the money.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Showtime, that piston looks like an over heat, do the scars on the piston run bottom up? As for new pistons, I'd use doo pistons, and run single ring. IMO worth the money.

The mechanic that looked at it said it was from sucking in snow dust? He also mentioned over heat and that i should put in the plug & play temp sensor for this year. He said you can tell alot of what going on with the engine just with a sensor. Im going to get a short block so ya it will have the doo doo pistons. If the cylinders weren't so bad i may have takin a leap of faith and tried the RK Tech or MCB that everyone is talking about.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mechanic that looked at it said it was from sucking in snow dust?

could be, if its only on the intake side of the piston then likely the culprit, the snow dust (water) washes the oil off the piston and causes some scuff marks.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics thus far, hopefully p/u my motor this afternoon.

Wow!

Nice housekeeping. That engine pay is clean!

That piston also has quite a bit of blowby. Let us know how you make out. THat's a pretty big bill to fix it up!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby did you ever open your's up to see how it looks in there?

I did... I didn't go as far as you though, but found bad things..

Just last night I popped off the head and tested the DPM. Here's what I posted on Dootalk:

Alright!

Back at it again. Got a chance to get out to the garage and tool around for a bit. This is what I did:

1) Checked the DPM switch with 9V battery. Works flawless.

2) Decided WTH, lets take the head off.

This is what I found:

Mag side piston:

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

Clutch side piston:

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Looking a little closer..

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

Mag side piston/cylinder:

No wash here!

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

Clutch side cylinder:

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

Oh oh...

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clutch side Piston:

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Questions:

1) What could have caused this. Seems awfully odd the major points of damage are across the cylinder from each other, yet the ports look ok. What did the engine swallow?

2) Is this the rattle I heard, or an existing problem and the rattle I heard was indeed the belt previously mentioned? Odd that they happened both the same day.

3) Plan of action? First I'd like to know what might have went through my engine, and b, from here on it's a top end... and?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Q

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow!

Nice housekeeping. That engine pay is clean!

That piston also has quite a bit of blowby. Let us know how you make out. THat's a pretty big bill to fix it up!

Yup big bill is right but i get 1 airmile per dollar:d Here's the shiny new engine, was cleaning up some parts last night and hope to drop in this week-end while its -100 out.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 116

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup big bill is right but i get 1 airmile per dollar:d Here's the shiny new engine, was cleaning up some parts last night and hope to drop in this week-end while its -100 out.

Looks good! I don't have that kind of cash to throw at my sled, but I guess if I have to... Thing is I'd fix it and then sell it if I have to. haha.

Let us know how assembly goes. That thing should purr once up and running now!

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I don't have that kind of cash to throw at my sled, but I guess if I have to... Thing is I'd fix it and then sell it if I have to. haha.

Let us know how assembly goes. That thing should purr once up and running now!

I thought the same way patch & sell or fix it right. I decided to keep it as mama has been buggin' me again for one so this will be hers then i'll get an Etec next year. It doesn't take long for parts to add up, here just some of the numbers when i called around:

Mongoose machine(BC)- $290per cylinder to replate/ $350 if any welding
Bernard(Quebec)- $289.00per cylinder
Specialty- $650 for pair cylinders
MCB cylinder (USA)- $209 USD + exchange/ shipping/ brokerage
MCB pistons (USA)- $300 pair same deal shipping blah, blah
Doo pistons- $225 each
Gasket kit- roughly $200 (never actually priced it)
And this just rebuilds the top-end, i could put all the above money in and go down the trail 20K and my bottem end could go out, so i just decided on the short block. I also looked at doing a big bore but same deal $2000 for the kit and still old crank. Specialty told me i had to re-cluch & re-jet which = money money. It will be stock for me this winter.

With any luck if your cylinder isn't worn to much you might get away with doing a hone to throw a few scratches in it and put some pistons in it and ride but thats a big gamble again. Hopefully things work out for you, let me know. Curious.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the same way patch & sell or fix it right. I decided to keep it as mama has been buggin' me again for one so this will be hers then i'll get an Etec next year. It doesn't take long for parts to add up, here just some of the numbers when i called around:

Mongoose machine(BC)- $290per cylinder to replate/ $350 if any welding
Bernard(Quebec)- $289.00per cylinder
Specialty- $650 for pair cylinders
MCB cylinder (USA)- $209 USD + exchange/ shipping/ brokerage
MCB pistons (USA)- $300 pair same deal shipping blah, blah
Doo pistons- $225 each
Gasket kit- roughly $200 (never actually priced it)
And this just rebuilds the top-end, i could put all the above money in and go down the trail 20K and my bottem end could go out, so i just decided on the short block. I also looked at doing a big bore but same deal $2000 for the kit and still old crank. Specialty told me i had to re-cluch & re-jet which = money money. It will be stock for me this winter.

With any luck if your cylinder isn't worn to much you might get away with doing a hone to throw a few scratches in it and put some pistons in it and ride but thats a big gamble again. Hopefully things work out for you, let me know. Curious.

Not sure how these differ from motorcycles, but the Nicalsil (sp?) is generally informed not to hone, yet I see lots of sledders honing? I don't get it. Most builders say a typical hone won't even do much to the extremely hard Nicasil.

I'm first determining what is wrong. I dont' consider a top end a patch fix, but I am a bit nervous about the crank. I can't believe they don't last longer. Trail guys seem to think 6-10,000 at least. I don't ride my machine very hard, so I hope they are right... haha.

Top end from MCB comes with the base gaskets and head gaskets. So you have savings there. Not sure how they adjust for squish or if you have buy a few more gaskets to make sure it's right.

If my pistons are actually detonation, I will double check my pressure test, do a top end, and maybe just inspect the crank and go from there..

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the Nikasil is very hard but i believe they use some type of diamond stone to get some of the scratching back into the surface. I ride the shat out of mine and it's never let me down (knock on wood) but i still don't think i would risk 10K on a bottom end or top-end for that matter. It's alittle different story when your on the trail or 3 valleys back in the Renshaw. Had i just done the top-end i probably would've went with the MCB but i was abit nervous of the shipping back & forth of cylinders. My luck they would've gotten lost or MCB would've shipped the wrong ones shortening up my season. As it is i had to push my November trip back to the first week of Dec. Good luck!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure how these differ from motorcycles, but the Nicalsil (sp?) is generally informed not to hone, yet I see lots of sledders honing? I don't get it. Most builders say a typical hone won't even do much to the extremely hard Nicasil.

I'm first determining what is wrong. I dont' consider a top end a patch fix, but I am a bit nervous about the crank. I can't believe they don't last longer. Trail guys seem to think 6-10,000 at least. I don't ride my machine very hard, so I hope they are right... haha.

Top end from MCB comes with the base gaskets and head gaskets. So you have savings there. Not sure how they adjust for squish or if you have buy a few more gaskets to make sure it's right.

If my pistons are actually detonation, I will double check my pressure test, do a top end, and maybe just inspect the crank and go from there..

Shibby, there are guys that hone and some that don't, honing will help the new rings seat better, IMO but there are merits to honing and not honing.

That sucks about your motor, does your rod move up and down without turning the crank (wondering if a rod bearing is starting to go or has gone). Also, opposite sides of the piston where the damage occurred are on the piston pin alignment. In the one pic it almost looks like the piston hit the head, hard to tell from the pics though.

Did you take the reeds out/y pipe off and have a look at the piston skirt? There is a potential that the clutch side has an air leak, that it deto'd, or that it might have been a piece of skirt/ring that went through, can u see if the rings are both still there on the PTO side piston also?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby, there are guys that hone and some that don't, honing will help the new rings seat better, IMO but there are merits to honing and not honing.

That sucks about your motor, does your rod move up and down without turning the crank (wondering if a rod bearing is starting to go or has gone). Also, opposite sides of the piston where the damage occurred are on the piston pin alignment. In the one pic it almost looks like the piston hit the head, hard to tell from the pics though.

Did you take the reeds out/y pipe off and have a look at the piston skirt? There is a potential that the clutch side has an air leak, that it deto'd, or that it might have been a piece of skirt/ring that went through, can u see if the rings are both still there on the PTO side piston also?

Yea, thats my next step is to take the cylinder off and check the pistons. Has to come off to replace them anyways.

Not sure when I can get to that, but I'll let you know when I do. I'd like to do it sooner rather then later so I can order parts.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby depending how quick you are with wrenches i'll let you know if it's worth ordering from MCB as I ust ordered my carb boots from them. Called Martin they wanted $95.50 each and i got the pair for $80USD + shipping which he said was around $20. Not a big fan ordering over the phone but my fingers are crossed. The only good news is it's a small purchase if it never shows up. He said 7-10 days.....we will see.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shibby depending how quick you are with wrenches i'll let you know if it's worth ordering from MCB as I ust ordered my carb boots from them. Called Martin they wanted $95.50 each and i got the pair for $80USD + shipping which he said was around $20. Not a big fan ordering over the phone but my fingers are crossed. The only good news is it's a small purchase if it never shows up. He said 7-10 days.....we will see.

Lemme know!

Nothing is happening fast these days. Busy with other things, but I would like to get it done sometime soon so I can start working on my bike.

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes looks like detonation on the leaner side. also looks like something has been washing it.. what side is the dark piston and what side is the cleaner one. look at the pintle end of the injectors. is one dark and one of them very clean?. can you hook your rail up to the injector and pressurize with air?. as far as a quick honning, i did my cat with just a ball type just enough to put the cross hatch back in. the material is not as hard as you think, it does scratch easily so a quick in and out is all that is needed.. scoring on the sides of the piston as described before is mostly from moisture ie snow entering in the intake side and causing that. dust i dont think so unless you are on the dirt track.
I would order pistons that have 2 compression rings instead of the stupid design singles. just clean up the surfaces and you will be just fine. also have a look at oil injection also on that side. call me later i will be around

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes looks like detonation on the leaner side. also looks like something has been washing it.. what side is the dark piston and what side is the cleaner one. look at the pintle end of the injectors. is one dark and one of them very clean?. can you hook your rail up to the injector and pressurize with air?. as far as a quick honning, i did my cat with just a ball type just enough to put the cross hatch back in. the material is not as hard as you think, it does scratch easily so a quick in and out is all that is needed.. scoring on the sides of the piston as described before is mostly from moisture ie snow entering in the intake side and causing that. dust i dont think so unless you are on the dirt track.
I would order pistons that have 2 compression rings instead of the stupid design singles. just clean up the surfaces and you will be just fine. also have a look at oil injection also on that side. call me later i will be around

You Cat owners. Running around thinking everybody has fancy fuel and oil injection... yesh.

hahaha. Colin, my Rev is plain old carbed. No injection and no rails. Good old venturie tube of a carb and gas suction. That's all I got.

If you guys think it's detonation though I'll investigate. I'll take the cylinder off to inspect walls of both cylinder and piston, then make sure the carb is real clean. Problem is I have them upside down so they drained so it might have dislodged anything that was blocking a jet if that were the case. Could be good old gunk too.

This weekend I hope to get the work done because I need to order parts and hopefully finish up so I can work on my bike for Baja.

Top Bottom