Rev 800 survives avalanche at cataract

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also thought these posts were good opportunities to share experiences and share information. i certainly didn't expect this level of criticism.

Ok...so lets share some information.

Were you and your group wearing Transceivers and do you practice using them? Do you have avalanche training? Do you carry shovels and probes in your packs and spares on your sleds? Were you wearing packs...didn't see any in the video? Do you have survival gear and first aid kits in your packs? If you answered NO to any of these questions, you should get some training for backcountry travel. You got lucky...glad we didn't have to read about another fatality.

Last edited:

aocbiz

Reaction score
Oh well take it on the chin and take these comments seriously and learn from some of the people that posted. They are experienced riders and if you read the heck out of this site you can take a lot of good advice from these people with you next time you go to the hills. There will always be people that pile on you and cut you up even though you say you didn't know the area. Make sure you invest in all the right backcountry gear if not for you but for the people that you may need to help or rescue.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok...so lets share some information.

Were you and your group wearing Transceivers and do you practice using them? Do you have avalanche training? Do you carry shovels and probes in your packs and spares on your sleds? Were you wearing packs...didn't see any in the video? Do you have survival gear and first aid kits in your packs? If you answered NO to any of these questions, you should get some training for backcountry travel. You got lucky...glad we didn't have to read about another fatality.

Those are good points for discussion. I see a lot of folks with shiney new avey gear and I wonder if they know how to use it in a rescue situation? Practice searches open a lot of eyes.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh man! I'm too late to watch stupid in action ...

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
All I can say is WOW, quite honestly I would love to know what you where thinking? Obviously the safety of your riding group wasn't a concern as they where all sitting in the slide path (not like the really cared by the video)
You should sell that sled, sell all your gear so that you don't wreck the sport for people that really love it, And your group should do the same.
You and your group are a embarrassment to the sledding community

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry guys, i thought i was in the riding area. this was first time riding on that side, i was fallowing the trail until i got on top of the pass, due to the wind and the drifting i did not know were the trail went from there. i did see a nice open area and i thought id check it out. i honestly had no idea this was an out of bounds area. i will also enrol in avalanche training. and i will be staying on the cataract side for now on.

Good on you for manning up and making the effort to get some training and learn some avalanche awareness . There are many mistakes that you made but I am glad you are taking this seriously and are planning to learn from it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you for manning up and making the effort to get some training and learn some avalanche awareness . There are many mistakes that you made but I am glad you are taking this seriously and are planning to learn from it.

Yup. He's Taking a very good attitude towards this situation lets lay off this guy a bit lol. Sheesh we all made mistakes. Maybe not this bad but none the less lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. Hes taken his lumps on here pretty good. Hopefully he gets some training, and can spread what he has learned to his friends and riding partners. Im guessing alot of us have done something stupid at some point. I know my first couple times in the mountains I was ABSOLUTELY clueless. No training or equipment, and in hindsight went into some really bad areas. One so bad that I still look back and thank God we made it out of there alive.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey guys im not trying to brag about this. i am just trying to share this video as a warning to others as a risk to the extreme avalanche conditions. we have learned alot from this experience and just trying to get the word out for others to learn.

Thank you for all the comments. i appreciate everyones input, this has been a big learning experience. one that i wanted to share with others, this was not the feedback i was expecting as i was just trying to share my learnings. the video has been removed.

Also about the high five, it was not about being cool and stocked about it, it was because we were happy we walked away and survived. sorry you got the wrong impression.

sorry guys, i thought i was in the riding area. this was first time riding on that side, i was fallowing the trail until i got on top of the pass, due to the wind and the drifting i did not know were the trail went from there. i did see a nice open area and i thought id check it out. i honestly had no idea this was an out of bounds area. i will also enrol in avalanche training. and i will be staying on the cataract side for now on.

i also thought these posts were good opportunities to share experiences and share information. i certainly didn't expect this level of criticism.

Yes, you have impressed the masses! Initially, with the mistakes and poor judgement as evidenced in the video. Secondly, by coming back and actually showing face to explain some of the situation(s) and talk about the steep learning curve.

The ball is in your court and from the above posts you seem to be sincere in your future planning. Get that AST1 (if you are riding Cataract, you are right in Zac's Traks back yard and getting a course close would be no problem), learn the areas that you ride (Golden is another on where there is a park that a lot of people don't "see" the signs, Revy and other places for caribou closures, etc., etc.), and bring back another video showing us the changes you and your group has planned on making. Ride safe, fs

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's relatively new to the site with not many posts. I believe him when he says he didn't know and was trying to help by putting up the video. Probably young and just doesn't know any better.
Fish, please do take an avy class. Get the tools you need to be safe in the back country (one of the tools are between your ears). An avy class will obviously help you but it will also make you understand why so many here came down hard on you. I have no problems saying the avy class not only opened up my eyes but freaked the $hit out of me. You have no idea how lucky you were. You had one thing going for you and that was it was a flat slope. Had there been a bump or some trees in your way you would have been done!
Spend some time on YouTube while you are waiting to get into a class. Did you know 90% of avalanches are human caused. Your survival rate under the snow after 15 minutes is almost none and that snow sets up like concrete once it stops. Just a few things mentioned in this clip. 10 Things You Didn't Know About Avalanches - YouTube
Snowmobiling is fun but you have to be educated or you have no business being out there. Please take this seriously. We were mad at you because we care......

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time i ride in the mountains i think back to when my buddies and I first started riding and the things we used to do and places we went with zero knowledge of avalanches makes me realize how lucky we are to be alive.

BCAV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im guessing this is off of you tube aswell but i would have liked to see this for educational perposes

mick

Reaction score
Now that the masses have beat the **** outa you..... continue to head over Fording, just turn left instead of going right where you headed onto Bolton and catch the trail into BC.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never watched the video in time. Im sure he did alot of careless moves. I am guessing that he is young and has learned a lesson. A lot of us have done stupid **** and learned lessons when we were young and not talking just sledding. I also read the comment about his stupidity was due to having too much oilfield money??? Come on what does that have to do with it?? Because he is wearing oilfield coveralls that were issued to him for free must mean he has money?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn I missed the video also!! Would have liked to see what all the banter is about. Yeah Fish from reading the replies I think you should read my (what would you do thread). Cause I have doubts if I would have helped you in this situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
he's relatively new to the site with not many posts. I believe him when he says he didn't know and was trying to help by putting up the video. Probably young and just doesn't know any better.
Fish, please do take an avy class. Get the tools you need to be safe in the back country (one of the tools are between your ears). An avy class will obviously help you but it will also make you understand why so many here came down hard on you. I have no problems saying the avy class not only opened up my eyes but freaked the $hit out of me. You have no idea how lucky you were. You had one thing going for you and that was it was a flat slope. Had there been a bump or some trees in your way you would have been done!
Spend some time on youtube while you are waiting to get into a class. Did you know 90% of avalanches are human caused. Your survival rate under the snow after 15 minutes is almost none and that snow sets up like concrete once it stops. Just a few things mentioned in this clip. 10 things you didn't know about avalanches - youtube
snowmobiling is fun but you have to be educated or you have no business being out there. Please take this seriously. We were mad at you because we care......

awesome short video movie on the 10 worst avalanches.... Interesting to say the least

Top Bottom