Replacing the Axle boots on a Canam (gorilla axles)

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So I have to replace my axle boots, everything else is in good shape. I have gorilla axles. Watching the video on the gorilla site it says I take the axle, put it in a vise and take a big hammer and give it a hit. :eek: Thats kinda crazy. If im just cleaning them and putting them back together thats ok.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
So I have to replace my axle boots, everything else is in good shape. I have gorilla axles. Watching the video on the gorilla site it says I take the axle, put it in a vise and take a big hammer and give it a hit. :eek: Thats kinda crazy. If im just cleaning them and putting them back together thats ok.

Thats what you do to remove the cv joint yes. If you want an easier way to replace the boot remove the axle and both boots. You can just slide them off without hammering anything. Did that on my Rhino was not much extras for work.

I also destroyed my CV last ride and there is a ring inside that holds it to the axle and pounding it off or on is the only way.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I hope that made sense Ron. You remove the inner boot feel around for a clip just in the diff housing, remove it and you can slide the whole axle out from the diff. Thats a sliding CV joint that comes apart in most cases. Once the axle is out there is another clip on the axle holding the remaining joint parts on the axle remove that and everything slides off easy peasey. It's a greasy job. Once off you can easily slide both boots off clean and replace. You will need to replace the grease in both boots.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wear rubber gloves....that moly grease is in there fer good...and the wife won't dig the smell.

Top Bottom