Recoil Rattle

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took sled out for a ride this weekend, and if sled was idling i could hear a rattle on exhaust side. Finally figured out were sound was comming from. I put hand on side of recoil and could feel the rattle, when i put pressure on recoil cover sound quit. So my question is does anyone else have this noise? Problem?

PS. Sled has electric start, and pull cord has NEVER been pulled (2011 summit 800)

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the bolts holding the recoil on tight?

sent from a phone

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are the bolts holding the recoil on tight? sent from a phone
my advice, pull the starter recoil cover and take a look. I just lost starter recoil on mine and it was a clunking noise. The plastic shaft holding it all together is broke. If not, dig deeper.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this has been a bit of an issue for Doo since they switched to the plastic recoil covers, seems to be heat related, and if you have parts floating around in the recoil, I think that you can end up with shrapnel making it's way in behind and taking out the small pickup wires from your stator, which will leave you dead in the water. It is easy enough to pull the recoil off at home in the nice warm garage....not so much on the hill where it is probably too late anyways!!

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew apart 3 recoils on my 09/xp until i finally covered it with heat reflective tape and havent had a problem since. Does the recoil still work, cause im assuming you are using e-start all the time?

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I blew apart 3 recoils on my 09/xp until i finally covered it with heat reflective tape and havent had a problem since. Does the recoil still work, cause im assuming you are using e-start all the time?

LOL !!! U betcha he only uses E-Start!!!!!!!! Sorry Young-gun I had to say it!!!! but seriousely pull it once in a while, youll feel good about it LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not etec. Regardless found the issue! one of the three bolts holding the inner half of recoil housing is missing!!!!!!!!!!! will try to get brother to post the pictures. Glad i have warranty.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned 4 Doos since 1998, and the only recoil issue was the factory grease making it hit or miss, or get rattly. A lot of guys hammer on the engagement and that tends to shorten life too.

Every year I replace the rope. It gives me a reason to look things over.

Top Bottom