rave valves

gdawg

Reaction score
hey just wondering. my 2008 xp 800 has 1200miles. should i be cleaning the rave valves, if so how would onee go about that. thanks

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey just wondering. my 2008 xp 800 has 1200miles. should i be cleaning the rave valves, if so how would onee go about that. thanks

Yes they need to be cleaned. I use a little scraper to get the big stuff off then use brake clean and scotchbrite to get them good and clean.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speakin of rave valves, anyone try a sl8ightly stiffer spring. I heard it hangs it up a little on the low end and improves the throttle response

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know you could get different springs for them. Sounds like it could be a cool little mod

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea apprently it hold em closed till bout 5500 6000ish. really helps out the big bore and makes it insanely snappy. Does nothing for peak but lets face it, when you in the trees that would help out alot. Probably helps the engine reach peak rpm alot quicker.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you going to try a different spring? If so i would like to hear your results. Im running a Big John 860 and i always like a little more snap:d

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to but i just gatta find out where i can get these things. unfortunately i dont have a spring test for these little guys to measure the rates, so a make shift jobber is sorta out.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever talked to Al at t he Revy sled shed about it? I was BSing with him a couple years ago and he was talking about rave mods he was doing but i can remember exactly it was.

Reaction score
Different springs are available and another cool mod is some of the older style rave caps that had the red center are actually an adjuster for the spring. havent done it myself but worked on a couple guys sleds now that modded to fit those rave caps.
As for cleaning makes sure after scraping carbon and brake cleaning give them a healthy coat of 2 stoke oil.
When you pull them apart check inside the rubber boot and if you find an abundance of oil then you need to screw off plastic cap, slide valve shaft out and replace the two seals inside

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any one know the part number or know where to buy these springs? I am differently interested in getting a set.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You should try and clean your RAVE valves every season if you can. First thing you need to do is go to your local dealer and buy 2 RAVE valve gaskets before you take anything apart. You will need a 8mm socket and ratchet, a metric allen wrench set, a wide bladed flat screw driver and plyers. The black caps come off with the socket and there is a spring under there. set them aside and then take the RAVE's out with the allen wrench. use the plyers to hold the platic nut on the cap of the RAVE valve and turn the RAVE out counter clock wise with your hand. Use the flat screw driver to take the top spring off of that plastic cap and pull the cap out of the green rubber boot. Clean everything up with varsol or gas and use a wire wheel or brush to clean the black soot off your RAVE. Put everything back together and remember to put you new gaskets on before you screw your RAVE valve back into that plastic cap. The RAVE valves also say "TOP" on them so you put them back into your cylinder the correct way. Sorry its so long winded but i hope this gets the job done. :d

Brentkuik

Reaction score
2008 xp 800 163 2700 miles. .. Got my valves clean but... Has anybody seen a thin film of white silicone around the cap? Looks like threebond 1211. Is this a fix or preventative deal? Just got the sled and rode it 3days in the mountains. Had sluggish throttle response great power and clutching was good. Then i got a vibration between 5000-7000 rpm. Crank runout is between .02-.03. You think the primary bushings might be shot? I have the primary apart and there might be a little play but just thought I'd check with the pros before I throw parts at it! Also it seemed a little sluggish fuel wise from 4-5k rpm. Can you adjust the needles on these and does the secondary clutch have to be off to pull carbs??? Sorry guys new sled and i like things to be perfect before I go again! Thanks

steve a

Reaction score
just did my rave valve cleanning and the doo mech said to leave it clean or put thin layer of silicone, so no real answer but i think its preventive.put some boysen reeds in and had to remove secondary

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on Al's rave mod? (where you convert your stock raves to operate off of gas pressure and he takes 200 thou off to make them lighter?) I got mine done and am not really sure if Im impressed or not. Its hard to really tell when you do more than one thing at once. Feel like my bottom and mid is lacking a bit of snap and thinking this might be it.

Definitely some varying opinions on this mod.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt have machined the 200 thou off myself, but yes there are huge gains to be had by doing this. If you feel like your bottom and midrange is lacking you have issues as this mod has more of a positive affect in that area of the rpm range than any where else.

Deano

MAD MOTORSPORTS

Top Bottom