Ram 3500 6.7 cummins Turbo upgrade - recommendations?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My 2015 ram 3500 has 230,000 km now and im having actuator issues. Looks like its time to upgrade. Seems like BD, ATS, Sinister or Cheetah are the most popular.

Not looking for big power. I currently have a 45hp tow tune with EFI live and its deleted.

Any direction would be appreciated.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1800 for a rebuilt with 1 year warranty
about 2400 for a s300 with a manifold and probably wont ever have issues, and no exhaust brake

How many peso's a person wants to spend I would say is determining factor, and if a person will ever do injectors

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised not more comments here, maybe too general a question. Are you keeping the VGT style turbo or going conventional? Want to stay at 45hp tune or going bigger? What's your ratio of towing to normal driving, and how heavy do you tow?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a phat shaft fixed vane in my 12 dodge.
It kinda sucks not having a exhaust brake, but it makes really cool noises with a 5” straight pipe too, so Im torn…..😆

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you want to hotrod it don't get rid of VGT. If you want to go with a slight upgrade in size then go for it to reduce back pressure or make more boost. But cost and simplicity points to stock, if you've made it this far on the stock turbo without wanting more power, then dealing with the hassle of tuning an aftermarket unit doesn't seem worth it.

Daily driving a fixed geometry turbo isn't for most people anymore, a properly tuned VGT does it all. There's a reason all the OEMs build their diesels now with them.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Surprised not more comments here, maybe too general a question. Are you keeping the VGT style turbo or going conventional? Want to stay at 45hp tune or going bigger? What's your ratio of towing to normal driving, and how heavy do you tow?
I want to keep the VGT turbo... love the exhaust break. The 45hp tune is more then enough power, i just want the best fuel efficiency. Really only used for towing my toy hauler and sled trailer. So 6,000-11,000lbs. The BD Screamer looks to be more efficient then the stock set up and doesn't need additional tuning. Says it will make more power do to the increase in CFM of stock. Looks like a $4200 price tag and then 6 hrs labour to install. So $5000 installed. Seems reasonable.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went down this road recently. Mine was looking like the actuator was acting up, but researched all the turbo options.

I looked at Alamo doing a rebuild on mine, around 2700 with a new actuator but only 90 day warranty.

Local diesel shop 3500 plus install for a reman with actuator.

Looked Fleece, BD and ATS turbos. These from what I understand are a reman turbo with there upgraded exhaust size. All around 4100

I was going to go with BD screamer if I needed one.

So far I’ve been good with the City Diesel actuator but I only have 113k on the truck. I figured if it turns out to be the turbo, I’ll put this actuator on the BD. It’s self calibrating so you don’t need to scan tool.
https://ddpmotorsports.com/i-305334...aded-billet-turbo-actuator-cm-actkit2013.html

F8FE2C45-4E34-4CCC-9D68-FE1CD1B92A09.jpeg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something you could try…you’ll know when you take the actuator off. If the vanes don’t rotate from stop to stop probably the turbo. It’s a well built piece and so far been good. Took a while to get.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A BD screamer/fleece vgt is a bigger compressor wheel and turbine.
Can get one made locally for maybe 3,000.
Imo just keep your stocker unless you got injectors too

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to keep the VGT turbo... love the exhaust break. The 45hp tune is more then enough power, i just want the best fuel efficiency. Really only used for towing my toy hauler and sled trailer. So 6,000-11,000lbs. The BD Screamer looks to be more efficient then the stock set up and doesn't need additional tuning. Says it will make more power do to the increase in CFM of stock. Looks like a $4200 price tag and then 6 hrs labour to install. So $5000 installed. Seems reasonable.
For fuel efficiency, according to proven the highest hp tune usually will get you the best utilization of fuel. When I say usually I mean you’d have to drive accordingly

Something about atomization of fuel, I get fairly good mileage on my psd driving on 5 (230 hp).

I understand you’d be straight 6 but the same principle must apply?

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you fox it yet. I got this letter today. Warranty is extended on the actuator.

Attachments

• 664551ED-48E3-4F8D-9F74-C21066A2EC78.jpeg
    664551ED-48E3-4F8D-9F74-C21066A2EC78.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 251

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That letter makes no sense, the warranty on turbo actuator is not the 5/160km that is engine only, not addons like turbo, unless that is in reference to people with extended warranty? Also considering it says electrical, they will likely not fix any with stuck vanes.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That letter makes no sense, the warranty on turbo actuator is not the 5/160km that is engine only, not addons like turbo, unless that is in reference to people with extended warranty? Also considering it says electrical, they will likely not fix any with stuck vanes.

Some day you will be able to read English, but today is not your day apparently. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some day you will be able to read English, but today is not your day apparently. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Some day you will have a clue but not today. Turbo actuator not part of engine warranty which is the only thing covered by the 5/160 unless you have extended warranty.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havent, was still deciding on what i wanted to do. I sent my VIN to Bendy... hopefully i get lucky.
I will give Cyle some credit where it is do... be aware that if this is a vane problem, it will NOT be covered! Once you're at the dealer and the actuator is removed and they find the cone is seized... you have a decision to make. Are they pushing it outside, or are you installing a Chrysler turbo for 5k. Chances are they may not want to install a jobber turbo?

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actuators are back ordered from Chrysler. I do have one on the shelf. I also stock the APD jobber.

Top Bottom