Pull chord piled up

Agent417

Reaction score
Anyone else have their pull chord **** the bed on a xm? I pulled it off and there's all kinds of broken pieces inside!

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
easiest just to but a new one, around 180$ if i remember right, a skidoo problem for generations now, way back to the s chassis

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best secret:

Engage, then pull... not pull then engage.

I have had C, S, ZX, Rev, XP, and now XM sleds... never once have I ever had problems with the recoil.

They pack too much grease from factory, but if you clean that up, it engages properly and lasts the life of the sled. IMO..

c.wilson07

Reaction score
Best secret:

Engage, then pull... not pull then engage.

Not sure that's a big secret.

Glad you have good luck with them but I agree it's a week point for the doo's for a while now. Mine and multiple people I know have had them pile up many times. Cleaning up excess grease helps and I find heat tape on the outside does to.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had my old rev go after big k's on it. Just don't try what I did for a quick fix in the trailer. Winding the spring by hand is near impossible and dangerous. If it's just the recoil, brb sells a pre loaded one wrapped in a cardboard ring. $30. It's a simple drop in repair.

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I remember right you can put the recoil from at rt1000 in and it has metal parts inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^
Correct.

It's the heat that screws these rewinds.
Stock muffler is harder on rewinds then running a aftermarket one due to more heat.
Put heat reflective tape on rewind cover and some high density foam between support and rewind also helps.

pizalm

Reaction score
Had my old rev go after big k's on it. Just don't try what I did for a quick fix in the trailer. Winding the spring by hand is near impossible and dangerous. If it's just the recoil, brb sells a pre loaded one wrapped in a cardboard ring. $30. It's a simple drop in repair.

And then you get the pleasure of it imploding somewhere when the ring that holds the parts in fails and everything flies into the stator. A new recoil assembly is worth the price versus repairing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here. Heat tape it, engage then pull, and check the bolts holding it on. Found 3/4 of mine were loose when I was doing my pre-season inspection this year.

Top Bottom