Pro's and con's of getting rid of the ol' land line........

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As the title says, I am thinking about this scenario. Two new iPhones and in this day and age doo we need a land line?

Let's hear from all the experiences you have had as I can't think of all of the consequences nor all the joys.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to dump my landline for the same reason (two cell phones). However my ISP frigs me with that, as I need a phone line for DSL Internet.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have not had a land line in about 8 years. One less bill, and a lot less telemarketers. ISP is Telus, no issues without a landline.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The only downside I can see Fernie is long distance on a cell phone is almost RAPE.... its crazy.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been batting this around as well, two cell phones and most of the numbers we call are on our my10. Would like to dump the extra $50/month bill.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I haven't had a pager in 14 years, seem to be getting by without it too! Landlines are going the way of the phonograph.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are prepping to build a new house so had to unhook landline. Wife wanted to keep it, I wanted it gone. We looked into putting it on a holiday mode for the time it takes to build and get moved in and they wanted $30/m plus fees to hold the number so was easy to convince wife was time to let it go. We will put the monthly money saved towards a better internet system next year. And yes, no more calls at 9pm everynight saying we won a cruise at the bahama's!!
Only person who phoned us on the landline was the mother inlaw anyways.
They will forward the house number for 3 months to a cell until you can make notifications that the number will become terminated for no cost.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We still need a landline as our cell coverage in rural Milo is spotty at best. If they put a tower up out here I would consider it.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 2 cell phones and got rid of the land line.

Biggest thing is the ones u would phone during the day have them on Ur my10.

Other wise the air time adds up fast. Ask my wife a few months ago.

Her extra time was what our normal bill is for both phones :thumbdown::thumbdown:

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
If you have good service in your home, no reason to keep a land line. I got onto a promo plan which gives me 4 gig of data, unlimited text/picture messaging, my fav10 nationwide local calling, early evening/weekends and 200 prime time minutes. Pretty sure there's a couple more things to the plan. Think it costs me around 80 bucks a month. Any regular daytime calling can be put on the fav10 number list. Only thing that sucks bad is if you need to do any international calling, then you get hosed. You can get add on plans for that but not generally worth it unless you call internationally a lot. I tried to go without the landline, but the wife won that argument just because of the kids needing a way to call when home alone. Now they got cell phones so I'm gonna try and ditch it again.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to dump my landline for the same reason (two cell phones). However my ISP frigs me with that, as I need a phone line for DSL Internet.

Who's your ISP? Telus uses a dark line. So you have a phone line but you just don't have a number for it (they do). Just to provide Internet

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only downside I can see Fernie is long distance on a cell phone is almost RAPE.... its crazy.

Telus in Saskatchewan runs a unlimited long distance plan with 5GB of data for $66/month. Unlimited LD anytime of the day and you don't need to run a Fav10 It's called SKMB Talk & Text - 5GB shared. Now most of you guys are from Alberta/BC but one would think Telus would offer a similar plan in other provinces? Unless of course SaskTel pissed them off again and they are under cutting them. Either way might be something to look into if you're already a Telus customer.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
yeah but then no more torrenting TV and movies :( (telus monitors that crap)

Only when they get a "complaint".... been doing it for YEARS..... get a complaint, stop for a while, then start again.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditch the landline, Ive been running without one for 3 or so years now and I don't miss it one bit.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing our landline is used for is the fax machine and alarm system.
You can get nation wide calling and 8 gb of data on a cell plan.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been without a land line for 6 years, and honestly don't miss it. Having your fave 10, is a very good thing and you can change them anytime you want. Elkatraz has good cell service, so that shouldn't be a issue for you.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That is the only reason we still have a landline.When the youngest gets a cel phone the landline is gone!
If you have good service in your home, no reason to keep a land line. I got onto a promo plan which gives me 4 gig of data, unlimited text/picture messaging, my fav10 nationwide local calling, early evening/weekends and 200 prime time minutes. Pretty sure there's a couple more things to the plan. Think it costs me around 80 bucks a month. Any regular daytime calling can be put on the fav10 number list. Only thing that sucks bad is if you need to do any international calling, then you get hosed. You can get add on plans for that but not generally worth it unless you call internationally a lot. I tried to go without the landline, but the wife won that argument just because of the kids needing a way to call when home alone. Now they got cell phones so I'm gonna try and ditch it again.

Top Bottom