Problems with belt Lengths.... :(

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I dont know how common this is, or even if its really an issue, but I have bought 2 BRAND NEW BELTS (Canadian Tire ) both with the correct numbers, I have also measured these belts for outside Circumference, and that as well is within the specs that are requested in the manual..... Everything seems to be correct... BUT, on my 1993 Arctic Cat EXT EFI 550 Mountain Cat, which also has had both primary and secondary Cleaned, the belts drag at an idle!!!! I lift the track off the ground and the track is spinning completely on its own, and at a good clip!!!!

My question is, What is making this happen! ? everything is back to normal, I took it apart and put EVERYTHING back the way it was... what could be the issue???? The clutch is operating normal and goes all the way to neutral when at an idle, Im at a loss and dont know what to try....

How much deflection should I get with the motor turned off??? ANY HELP is greatly appreciated!!!! PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SLED GOIN!!! Its an awesome sled and runs great, just doesnt want to stay put when I stop LOL!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its clearly the belt deflection with a new belt it will be higher. but sorry i have no idea how to adjust it on that sled. i suggest picking up a shop manual.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Iwrite this I am looking for one on E-bay, dunno if I will have much luck... Is there a specific brand or publisher I would search for? eg. Automotive-Chilton??? Thanks for your reply Maxwell!!! Really Appreciate that! Of course if anyone else knows more advice do tell LOL!!!!

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
add shim to secondary clutch older cat secondarys wears a little and need a shim , must take clutch apart to do belt defection 1.5 - 2 inches

greenlightning86

Reaction score
Here is the belt deflection explained in the Service Manual for 1990-1998.

Attachments

• Artic_Cat_1990_-1998_belt.pdf
    125.6 KB · Views: 46

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone for all the help, I did end up purchasing a CLYMER Service manual, too bad most of the technical info for the EXT EFI 550 in 1993 is missing in the manual.... Oh well lots of good stuuf too!!!!! THX AGAIN!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with aftermarket belts is that the companies that make them, cannot make them to the exact same specs as oem without patent infringement. so they must make them wider/longer/narrower/shorter. so you must make up the difference with adjustments, and if you are buying different aftermarket brands, you must adjust for every one.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the problem with aftermarket belts is that the companies that make them, cannot make them to the exact same specs as oem without patent infringement. so they must make them wider/longer/narrower/shorter. so you must make up the difference with adjustments, and if you are buying different aftermarket brands, you must adjust for every one.

Well said, Ill take that as more educational information!!

Top Bottom