PRO needs more horizontal steering.

robhayward

Reaction score
Anyone out there have any tips on making the steering less vertical? Maybe even a different post that would lessen the distance the handlebars turn? (keeping the same ski rotation)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any tips on making the steering less vertical? Maybe even a different post that would lessen the distance the handlebars turn? (keeping the same ski rotation)
Gonna take a bit of getting used to coming off a doo.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had no problems with it. I came off an XP and got used to the Polaris steering just fine.

I do know of one other guy that had issues with the RMK steering, while I didn't notice a difference... I guess I've got a short memory!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had no problems with it. I came off an XP and got used to the Polaris steering just fine.

I do know of one other guy that had issues with the RMK steering, while I didn't notice a difference... I guess I've got a short memory!
May not be that much difference from an XP to a pro Coming off a REV I noticed the difference right away.

robhayward

Reaction score
I'm coming off an XP and it was really difficult for the first day ride. It was the low speed, turn the way you want to go situations that the far grip is just too far away while you're leaning on the inside. (and I have long arms) I think I'll cut some off the bar ends to narrow it up. Possibly tilting the bars back and down will help also, right now they're in line with the post.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your going to look like its your first ride on a sled for the first season. ride with lots of guys that switched to the flat steering. its a serious change in riding style having the bars in your gut all the time. the worst is on the downhill because the opposite bar is soo much further down. maybe someone will come up with a bar mod. i beleive its because the skidoo steering post goes over the engine so it can have a straight run but the pro steering post goes under the engine? is that correct? ive never really looked.

rode with a guy thats been riding all his life that switched from doo. bought a new pro and he was downright embarrassed and apologetic he couldn't ride that sled worth a damn even after the whole weekend. but chris burandt can ride it so obviously it just takes time to get used to.

yes this is the Polaris thread i posted in.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, the steering post is over the engine. It is a double post system with a tie rod joining the two together if that makes sense.

Attachments

• Bonding_3.jpg
    Bonding_3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your going to look like its your first ride on a sled for the first season. ride with lots of guys that switched to the flat steering. its a serious change in riding style having the bars in your gut all the time. the worst is on the downhill because the opposite bar is soo much further down. maybe someone will come up with a bar mod.

rode with a guy thats been riding all his life that switched from doo. bought a new pro and he was downright embarrassed and apologetic he couldn't ride that sled worth a damn even after the whole weekend. but chris burandt can ride it so obviously it just takes time to get used to.

yes this is the Polaris thread i posted in.

This is exactly correct and EXACTLY why I CAN'T ride the Doo lol so I guess it really is something you just get used to. I tried another etec this weekend and I am totally out of control on that thing because of the way the bars turn but can weave my Pro threw the woods with almost no effort at all. The Etec sips fuel there is no doubt about that but that steering came straight from Hello without the o :) For me anyway.

robhayward

Reaction score
OK neat... just trying to figure out how one brand gets compensating steering and the other stays flat. cant seem to visualize it lol.

It's just the angle of the steering post as it comes off the top support. XPs are probably in the 50-60 degrees where the PRO is 80+ degrees. Almost straight up and down to rotate. Before buying this sled I really looked at the chassis and the engineering that went into it. PRO's are way better than the previous years. Maybe better design ideas than the XPs in some respects. But Polaris steering uses about 10x the parts that SkiDoo uses. Simple is better.

That first day I felt like a tard when trying to get a hang of the steering. But the sled has a turbo so I only steered half the time.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had a pro out for a week long ride last week, gave it a two hr try the one day and another i hr ride another day, that sterring is something that i feel is holding back alot of potenial buyers, who came up with that style. your arms are locked in such a weird position and your body gives no help in leverage, for me and the other 5 guys that tried the poo (three doo and two cat) we all gave thumbs down to their sterring, i personally will never buy a poo with steriing like that

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel and look like a 3 legged donkey on the doo. I had a rental for a day in Golden.The steering on it kept me from pulling the trigger on a doo a few years back. Liked it otherwise. Anyway to each there own. At least we have choice to find something that works for each of us. I love my Pro. I've never had so much fun on a sled.

Top Bottom