Primary removal

660canuck

Reaction score
Is there a good way to brace the primary clutch so I can remove the bolt, or do I need to get one of those holder tools? Anyone in Calgary got one I can borrow? I am trying to get my new short block installed this weekend but I am having trouble removing the primary.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
peeps may blast me for this one but i just remove a spark plug and insert a piece of rope. then the piston cant go all the way to the top thus bracing your crank.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
If it's still in the sled, i use a ratchet strap and put one hook into the hole in the primary, then other hook onto the frame somewher(i use the foot mounts close to the frame)....... Works awesome

660canuck

Reaction score
I saw a picture of that, only problem is my clutch doesn't have that hole.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i put a plastic hammer between the little fins on the back of the clutch and then against the bulkhead,works great.

660canuck

Reaction score
That would also work, but the ring gear on mine gets in the way.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Take a pull strap or rachet strap and put the hook on your primary, where it's not gonna wreck anything. Then put the other hook on your a-arms or running boards. If the clutch won't pop off with a ratchet, then fill the cavity with grease and wrap plummers tape on the threads of your puller and run it in quickly with a 1/2" impact. Be sure not to "rattle" it too much; as u could screw up the crank.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
That would also work, but the ring gear on mine gets in the way.

OKAY THEN......... YOU NEVER SAID YOU HAD A RING GEAR........ GO TO PRINCESS AUTO OR CANADIAN TIRE OR NAPA AND BUY A RING GEAR HOLDER TOOL(THEY'RE CHEAP) AND IT HOOKS INTO THE TEETH OF THE RING GEAR...... PROBLEM SOLVED AND VERY EASY TO USE............PROBLEM SOLVED, THAT EASY :eek::d

Skidoo69

Reaction score
Just had to do mine up in the mountains. I took out a chain wrench to brace the clutch. You can get a lot of torque on the bolt but more importantly, more torque to thread the puller in to pop the clutch off.

Cheers,

660canuck

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, got the primary off this afternoon. Just have to get the cable off the oil pump, and a few other lines and I should have the motor out tomorrow. Thanks again, this is a great forum, you guys have been a ton of help.

660canuck

Reaction score
Where did you get your short block and how much?

Bowridge Sports in Cochrane, but Martins was the same price. $3074 plus the gaskets, minus what ever you get back for your core.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just had my 800r clutch off.... i used a prybar between the ring gear and the one cylinder boss below the cylinder bolt..... kind of sucks that it don't have the holes like the older ones...

Top Bottom