Post Your Losses

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long, at the end of the closing bell today I checked my rrsp and essp, combined loss of $17,000 :mad:
Just wonderin how everyone else is fairin'

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long, at the end of the closing bell today I checked my rrsp and essp, combined loss of $17,000 :mad:
Haven't lost a dime unless you sold, it's almost time to buy. As one dude on the radio said "If you have more than five years left of investment time, rent out the kids and buy everything you can get your hands on."

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OH Great I`m afraid to look. No problem I have the Wal Mart greeter job all lined up for my retirement. Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I will go. Forever

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, almost time to buy, buy, buy.....what do you think all those US senators were doing today.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OH Great I`m afraid to look. No problem I have the Wal Mart greeter job all lined up for my retirement. Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work I will go. Forever

Yup picked up another shift at WalMart.....sold nothing and bought more

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
If I were to cash out fight now it would be a lot worse that that. My retirement depends on this market gaining the strength it had in the past...or I work until I'm 95 years old....ouch.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Markets indicate a downward spiral, that being said the only thing to do id to wait for a signal of a turn around. When apple loses 23 dollars in one sitting and the tsx takes a 10% drop i think a wait and see is in order. The market will continue to fall until a solution is found and implemented. We are not throug this yet. and for the people who are more than 7 years out for retirement will be fine the market will rebound. That being said it may not rebound in the same manner. The former blue chips will take time to regain there 401k and may never reach it at all. p.s i feel like someone kicked me in the trunk..lol
Its only money

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Markets indicate a downward spiral, that being said the only thing to do id to wait for a signal of a turn around. When apple loses 23 dollars in one sitting and the tsx takes a 10% drop i think a wait and see is in order. The market will continue to fall until a solution is found and implemented. We are not throug this yet. and for the people who are more than 7 years out for retirement will be fine the market will rebound. That being said it may not rebound in the same manner. The former blue chips will take time to regain there 401k and may never reach it at all. p.s i feel like someone kicked me in the trunk..lol
Its only money

Shoot banking and brokerage house executives and imprison their families and sell all their assets would be a good start.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Yeppers..I'm more than 7 away...but not that much more!!!

Its only money

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I waiting for the mortgages to skyrocket then everyone in alberta that got rich 5 years ago and bought big fancy houses big lifted 1 tons and all the toys and live paycheck to paycheck have to start selling off like rest just to live. A guy with his act together can pick up some nice stuff pretty cheap. I am striving to be the next slum lord of Edmonton :eek: .....come on cheap houses:d

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
forget about losses, i bought oil at $125 barrel, made room in the shop for 50 barrels, and now i have no room for sleds.

G

Guest1

What is down today will go up tomorrow (MAYBE) If you have cash and want to get into the market watch for a few days then take the PLUNGE...:beer:

crushd

Reaction score
Things are gonna get worse before they get better. I would hold off on buying, might need that money when interest rates start to ratchet up.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I waiting for the mortgages to skyrocket then everyone in alberta that got rich 5 years ago and bought big fancy houses big lifted 1 tons and all the toys and live paycheck to paycheck have to start selling off like rest just to live. A guy with his act together can pick up some nice stuff pretty cheap. I am striving to be the next slum lord of Edmonton :eek: .....come on cheap houses:d

Already credit lenders in Canada are changing their tunes. Been having some good discussions surrounding this. Car rates are going up, martgage rates are starting to go up. Many feel that mortgage rates have seen the bottom. Big surprises will come when all the young people used to 5, 6 7% see the 14, 18, 20 some percent some of us, and especially our partents, had a few years back. May not go that high again, but a few points to someone loaded in credit can be a killer.

Times are a changin'

G

Guest1

Things are gonna get worse before they get better. I would hold off on buying, might need that money when interest rates start to ratchet up.

I completely disagree...the market was due for a major correction as values for most companies are way over valued. Like I said, if you have some spare cash... do some research and take the plunge.

Big surprises will come when all the young people used to 5, 6 7% see the 14, 18, 20 some percent some of us, and especially our parents, had a few years back.

Interest rates will never go back to what they were in the late 70's early 80's and to stimulate growth you need lower interest rates. As well, I believe Oil was way overvalued at $146.00. Oil companies are making good profit at $95 to a Hundy per barrel and gas should be locked in at $10.00 per GJ which will stimulate economic growth.

As far the banks go (Wall Street and Bay Street) they are getting what they deserve IMO as are SOME (not all) of the peeps who are losing their homes.

Indexes
DJIA 10572.85 +207.40
Nasdaq 2032.97 +49.24
TSX 11558.70 +273.63
TSX-V 1392.42 +10.39
TSX-Gold 264.83 -3.47
London Au 905.00 -
$Cad/Usd 0.95338 +0.00218

:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree...the market was due for a major correction as values for most companies are way over valued. Like I said, if you have some spare cash... do some research and take the plunge.

Interest rates will never go back to what they were in the late 70's early 80's and to stimulate growth you need lower interest rates. As well, I believe Oil was way overvalued at $146.00. Oil companies are making good profit at $95 to a Hundy per barrel and gas should be locked in at $10.00 per GJ which will stimulate economic growth.

As far the banks go (Wall Street and Bay Street) they are getting what they deserve IMO as are SOME (not all) of the peeps who are losing their homes.

Indexes
DJIA 10572.85 +207.40
Nasdaq 2032.97 +49.24
TSX 11558.70 +273.63
TSX-V 1392.42 +10.39
TSX-Gold 264.83 -3.47
London Au 905.00 -
$Cad/Usd 0.95338 +0.00218

:d

You can only lower interest rates so far and for so long. Other issues arise. Lowering interest rates to spur economic growth is a short term answer. This is exactly what the US (and Canada to a lesser degree) has been trying and it still has not fixed the issue. It's long and complicated to discuss here what happens to an economy when rates are continually lowered. As I stated, that only works short term!

Here is an example:

How does monetary policy affect inflation?
Wages and prices will begin to rise at faster rates if monetary policy stimulates aggregate demand enough to push labor and capital markets beyond their long-run capacities. In fact, a monetary policy that persistently attempts to keep short-term real rates low will lead eventually to higher inflation and higher nominal interest rates, with no permanent increases in the growth of output or decreases in unemployment. As noted earlier, in the long run, output and employment cannot be set by monetary policy. In other words, while there is a trade-off between higher inflation and lower unemployment in the short run, the trade-off disappears in the long run.

Policy also affects inflation directly through people's expectations about future inflation. For example, suppose the Fed eases monetary policy. If consumers and businesspeople figure that will mean higher inflation in the future, they'll ask for bigger increases in wages and prices. That in itself will raise inflation without big changes in employment and output.

Warren Buffet has said over and over....if it looks and feels like a recession....it's a recession.

G

Guest1

Warren Buffet has said over and over....if it looks and feels like a recession....it's a recession.

Care to guess how much he has MADE in the last two weeks vs how much he has lost by making statements like that...;)...just like yesterday... people PANIC (as they did on Oct 31 a few years ago when the Harper GOVT made changes to the Income Trusts).

I do feel bad for peeps especially retired ones who may have seen their life savings dwindle or in some cases disappear but you need to be on top of your finances and the peeps who are handling them.

The USA is in crisis because they failed to watch the peeps who handle their money...They lived large (as do we to a certain degree) and they stimulated the economy falsely. They gave credit and too much of it to peeps that shouldn't have it nor did they deserve it...Has nothing to do with interest rates.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, if you look at history (and it does repeat itself) there have been similar situations. Back then the government needed something to invest in to stimulate economic growth as opposed to the "bailout" package they are proposing. We have seen the stellar growth of the car, aerospace technology and the infamous dot com era. All heavily infused with gov money. Once again the gov needs a place to look at investment as a way to stimulate economic growth. It hurts most people short term, but those with the mindset will see the writing on the wall. These things take time and gov money to develope. They may not be the current popular place to park money, but it works and as mentioned has done well in past. So where is the new money headed.....green technology. It's expensive and will take time to grow, but I bet we see a lot of gov money spent on developing green technology as the new saviour of the economy. Are you ready.....

Yes, Warren and friends are poised to make an absolute killing. That's why I think a lot of the US senators turned down the bailout package....gave them time to park their money in the right spots.

On the news tonight they said it looks like the US banks will head towards a more Canadian model. More gov control and less private.

Interesting times abound.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The USA is in crisis because they failed to watch the peeps who handle their money...They lived large (as do we to a certain degree) and they stimulated the economy falsely. They gave credit and too much of it to peeps that shouldn't have it nor did they deserve it...Has nothing to do with interest rates.

If rates were higher, it would have been impossible to delay this from happening for so long, wouldn't it? Not that it would have been any less catastrophic, but might have happened sooner.

Top Bottom