Popped 800 Mag side piston!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firstly, there is a good chance that the gas had ethanol in it. Secondly, I never started moving my 2012 Assault till it registered 120*F on the temp gauge and I tore it down at 2400 miles and the stock pistons were still mint. When I put it back together, I replaced the stockers with some RK TEK replacement pistons and it it woke that sled up!! Good gas and proper warm up is key IMHO!!

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure on the temp. I wasn't there, but he said it wasn't super hot when it happened. Maybe 150 F.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look at your ring land area on the failed piston.. I think youmay find that it has spread (top to bottom)..

Let us know what you find out..maybe post some pics

Pistons finally off....
IMG_3486.JPG
IMG_3493.JPG IMG_3490.JPG IMG_3489.JPG IMG_3488.JPG

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i always warm up the sleds until the i feel heat in the coolers then we go. its no big deal to warm up your sled but lots of people just start and go. these things cost way too much to not take the time to warm them up.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends piston looked just like sledwrecks piston in his picture. Fixed it all up. $900 later sled rips again!!!

Briandublanko

Reaction score
It almost looks to me like the locator pins are missing on that damaged piston. Can you confirm this? If those pins are gone then I suspect the rings turn on the piston till the end gags were exposed in the exhaust port and one ring caught the port , broke and forced the piston seizure.

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mag side ring looked like it was gone. And on that side the exhaust port was cracked!!

Top Bottom