Polaris Ranger 6x6 clutching?!?

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

At work we use Polaris 6x6's outfitted with a 100 gallon water tank, mark pumps, and hand tools as a quick response fire truck...(best pic I have!:D)

Cimg0679.jpg

Our problem is that there is way to much added weight to this vehicle. It is the 700 and it still grunts like crazy with the additions we put on it. Belts are shot in no time due to the slippage of trying to get it moving, and it is drivin in a lot of up and down country, lots of buttes and revines, actually in the badlands of ND....

Is there a better clutch combination to go to on these? The Polaris dealer said they don't make clutch kits for these (bs) and that stock is the way to go. Has anyone tried anything else? What works for these things when you utilize a utility vehicle? We need more than 200 miles out of a clutch belt, and more importantly reliability to know you aren't going to be straded in front of the fire's path.

Thanks

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which kit is that, EPI? I saw they have a utility kit out there, anyone know what it consists of? I have been reading that some clutch kits don't work well, was wondering what other minor clutching people were doing to these....

Any other kits out there that they know work? I have about a $500 budget on this thing to improve it form stock form, any other recommendations for it, and no it does not need wheels or rims haha.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTT for any help, still don't know jack about toys from the other 3 seasons, haha, what works and what doesn't....

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, just to let you guys know, I decided to build my own kit through bikeman performance. Went with a new Team secondary with a custom 70-60-33* helix for it. Went to a stiffer primary spring and decided on going with super-tip adjustable weights. Supposedly have more base weight on the heel of the weights, should help in the low end over just stock weights.

Going to be installing the kit here real soon, possibly today yet, as the ranger is now gonna be used for flood help here in ND, crest is expected to be 2 feet higher than where current sand bags are at, so hopefully this will help us tow/pull/carry some weight.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well between flood stages here we were rehabbing our equipment and decided to install the kit which only took about an hour. (Kit described above)

Overall we really like it. On engagement it really grabs now, no belt slippage, and it seems to have a lot more "useable" torque. We used it to haul sandbags up and down the dikes and to pick up more sandbags running across town, performed much better than before. Can't wait to try it on the 500 now, and test it some more this summer out on some actual fires and in the rough badlands country.

Bikeman performance was top notch! Will keep you all updated on any new news with the kit, likes/dislikes, etc.

Now just to find a way to block fire soot from getting in the clutch cover snorkel, sled prefilter material?

Top Bottom