Pods vs Airbox (2001-800 RMK)

Do you run pods(air filters) on your mod

• Yes I run Pods On My Mod

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No I do Not Run Pods On My Mod

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • What are Pods... Doo they grow in a garden??

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I don't need pods, because mine is stock

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Here is the question, I'm running a 2001-800 RMK, ported and polished, high compression (runs 50/50 race and premix oil).
I currently have the stock (but somewhat gutted) aircleaner.
Summitric harrasses me aboutnot running pods, but is there a gain to it?
So why should I run pods cey800...I trust your opinion (that summitric is a bit shady...lol...)..
I read something that said sleds don't always gain from pods because they are set up to need some of the pressure from the airbox....anyone with thoughts on this please post them now...I'm depending on you to help me decide?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Here is the question, I'm running a 2001-800 RMK, ported and polished, high compression (runs 50/50 race and premix oil).
I currently have the stock (but somewhat gutted) aircleaner.
Summitric harrasses me aboutnot running pods, but is there a gain to it?
So why should I run pods cey800...I trust your opinion (that summitric is a bit shady...lol...)..
I read something that said sleds don't always gain from pods because they are set up to need some of the pressure from the airbox....anyone with thoughts on this please post them now...I'm depending on you to help me decide?

YOU'RE SUCH A DOOFUS.... WHY DOO YOU HAVE TO GAIN ANYTHING... YOU'RE NOT GAINING ANYTHING BESIDE THE POSSIBILITY OF SNOW INGESTION WITH THE "FOAM" TOWER THAT YOU NOW HAVE ON IT WITH THAT "VERY" FLEXIBLE HOOD!!!....
P.S.: DID YOU GET THE J.B. WELD??? TO FIX YOUR CARB?

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Who are you and why did you answer this question so poorly?
AND WHY DO YOU YELL AT EVERYONE??????
I'm picking the JB weld up after work.
IT WASN'T JUST ABOUT GAINS...IT'S ALSO ABOUT LOSS...DUFUS
Cheerz

YOU'RE SUCH A DOOFUS.... WHY DOO YOU HAVE TO GAIN ANYTHING... YOU'RE NOT GAINING ANYTHING BESIDE THE POSSIBILITY OF SNOW INGESTION WITH THE "FOAM" TOWER THAT YOU NOW HAVE ON IT WITH THAT "VERY" FLEXIBLE HOOD!!!....
P.S.: DID YOU GET THE J.B. WELD??? TO FIX YOUR CARB?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wonderinf the same thing, because the airbox on my zx is the only pain in the but thing to get off. it would make it much quicker for changing my jets and whatnot.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So we should ask why the dooboy dosnt run pods..............HHHHHMMMMMMM
WWWHHHHHHHYYYYYYY NNNNNOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!
BBBAAA HHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
I would run them if i had them!Especially if you jetting!
catmando!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was wonderinf the same thing, because the airbox on my zx is the only pain in the but thing to get off. it would make it much quicker for changing my jets and whatnot.

I would think you would no longer have a DPM system without the airbox. SBR; pods would be alot nicer for jetting, they would also prevent snow from getting into your carbs when riding with your hood off in the spring. We lost 3 engines in the South Dore riding with our hoods off a few springs ago. My MXZ was the only mod that made it out alive.:eek::eek:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bunnyman. What do you jet for temp? Outside temp or underhood air temp? They are different. This is a $1500.00 question. Has been a issue for many years. Maybe Deano670 will have a opionion or that Glengiene guy. This could be interesting. Good question

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Maxwell - See doofusric...I'm not the only one asking (good question Maxwell)
Catmando - SR does run pods..sorry Shhhhh...
Shredder - no dpm and no jetting, have adjustable super jets.
Sledderglen - good question but still doesn't answer my question

Why go to pods over the airbox....what is gained and what is lost...cummon guys and gals, someone must be able to answer this question.
I've got to step out for a couple of hours and I expect the class to have some answers for me when I get back..lol...

Cheerz.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you will lose performance because of underhood air temp affecting mixture of fuel.JMHO Time will tell

Rocky Mountain Kamakazi

Reaction score
My dad has the same sled but it has nitrous and he has the pods. It doesn't really bother it to much, jsut get the pre-filters because on mine they ice up without them in the deep snow. When he put them on he did not notice much of a change in power or running differently. Everyyhing seemed good when we checked the plugs with not changing anything.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if it were my sled I would most certainly be running kick ass filters with K&N pre filters. Keep in mind the under hood air temp on a gen chassis is much cooler than that of a rev or m chassis cat. More venting and clearance from the bottom of the hood to the pipes and engine prove that fact.And lets face it MOD engines and STOCK parts just dont make SENSE. However Rory at PA sold my buddy a cold air intake for his gen 2, he had to buy a hood aswell. But once we RE-JETTED for the intake that sure woke up the 800.

My two cents:D

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a buddy took his 02 800 doo to Ralph(I think that is his name) at Split Second Performance to get some work done, (just some porting near as I could tell from the little info he was willing to share)first thing he did was put the air box back on. He told my buddy that pods add nothing, just makes it hard for the DPM to do it's thing.

xcya

Reaction score
Yes the air box is a pain in the but when changing jets but I believe it is the better way to go. Draw in cald air from outside. Use an air horn kit to speed up air flo. I use one and am very happy with it and never have problems. Prefilter material is a must when in fine powder snow. good luck

Canadian Country Cabins

Reaction score
Website
www.canadiancountrycabins.com
Pods on sleds, Great idea but.............

The risk from the motor going bang is high.
lve played with pods for years mainly on bikes they look great, great access and a bit of a perf gain when jetted right. BUT and its a huge but they dont play well with water. The sledheads went to great lenghts to avoid getting snow/water into the mill with there airbox contraptions, personally i belive there is more hp to be gained for less risk elseware. My mates regularly exploding 440 is testamant to this. There is a lot of truth to the old mantra 'Polished Ported and piped" .......just dont forget the jetting!

As for changing jets being a pain.....................i got four to do!

Top Bottom