pipe on 1996 summit 500 fills up with gas when it parked!??

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I have a bit of a problem! I just took the hack system off of my 96 500 summit! Which holes do i plug?? oh and also last night i left the fuel line open and the pipe was full of gas the morning! why is this???

PLEASE HELP!!:eek:

J:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Ive got two 670 summit's one's a 96 and the other is a 99 670X both had slide needle problems and needle valve problems I just changed them all out for new ones, cleaned up the carbs, and they run like new again, no more flooding! I would say check your carbs! there old and need some tlc, Aloha.

TrailCrusader

Reaction score
That is not a good situation. Your crank case is filling with fuel and draining through the exhaust ports into the pipe. As previously mentioned, check your float valves or check your fuel pump(s). Another thing to consider is if your machine has a primer. I had a problem with a primer on a 583 and with a full tank of fuel, the fuel was draining into the carbs through the primer by means of gravity.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys!
But let me tell you what i did!
the other day i took the H.A.C system off and plugged all of the lines! That is when the pipe started to fill up with gas!
So after we couldn't get it going yesterday we tryed to put the HAC back on! which worked but it say's DO NOT change the length of the lines!LOL Which i did do!
So who can tell me how long the lines should be???
I think ill just leave it on there!
Thanks

J

s/b tech

Reaction score
Your correct about the original hac lines being a specific length. If you take the hac off, the vent lines that come off the the carbs by the round slide shuold be put back on and left open as this is the atmospheric source for the float bowl. Without the hac it does not matter what length they are. Also up by the wide air horn on the carbs, you can put a cap and block that fitting off as it was the air signal supply to the hac that is not needed if it is removed. The reason that the motor filled up was when you blocked all the fittings, the foat bowl had no air pressure in it to keep the fuel level at its proper height and keep the neele closed in its seat.

Hope this helps:)

s/b tech

Reaction score
Also if you plan on leaving the hac on the carbs than the closest doo dealer will be able to tell what the actual lenghts should be.:)

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your correct about the original hac lines being a specific length. If you take the hac off, the vent lines that come off the the carbs by the round slide shuold be put back on and left open as this is the atmospheric source for the float bowl. Without the hac it does not matter what length they are. Also up by the wide air horn on the carbs, you can put a cap and block that fitting off as it was the air signal supply to the hac that is not needed if it is removed. The reason that the motor filled up was when you blocked all the fittings, the foat bowl had no air pressure in it to keep the fuel level at its proper height and keep the neele closed in its seat.

Hope this helps:)

Thanks~ this helps a lot!
There is three lines coming out of each carb! which ones do i plug??

J
CHEERS:beer::beer:

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you plan on leaving the hac on the carbs than the closest doo dealer will be able to tell what the actual lenghts should be.:)

ok! what would you do?? would you take it off or leave it on?? The jets that were in there were 400! I put 210 in there place!

Cheers again:p:beer::beer:

s/b tech

Reaction score
The stock jetting in the carbs apply whether the hac is on or not. The hac only comes into play above 6000 ft. The problem is that sometimes it can freeze up and cause the carbs to run rich, fouling plugs quickly. If you remove it, Which I've done to lots of sleds in the past than you want to plug off the fitting that it is closest to the air box. It is also bigger than the other two fittings that are located by the round throttle slide part of the carb housing. The 400 main jets should work as they are the stock jets.

s/b tech

Reaction score
Just a word of caution, if you leave the 210 jets in there, than you will prob burn down the motor as these are quite a bit smaller than the stock jetting.
Hopefully this helps:):beer:

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a word of caution, if you leave the 210 jets in there, than you will prob burn down the motor as these are quite a bit smaller than the stock jetting.
Hopefully this helps:):beer:
i might go up a few sizes!
i have a 740 union bay and iam running a 310 and a 300 with vair-flow and that thing climbs like nothin else! (well almost):rant:
but i dont think a 500 summit with 36mm carbs should have bigger jets then my 740 UB! I would think a 240,230????

cheers:beer::beer:

Top Bottom